SAU Community

POWER RESTRICTIONS APPROVED, to be introduced in 2005

78vbsle

Actually it's been in victoria for several years already, doesnt seem to be policed well though.
Stupid thing is, you can learn in one, because a fully licenced driver is "in charge" of the vehicle. All well and good, but who's "in control"? And then, you can drive to the test, and do the test, in one, but (assuming you pass), you can't drive it home!!!!!
from what I know it is based on the factory power to weight ratio of the car, which means as long as your car is under that limit off the factory floor it's legal.

It also appears from what I have been told that you are allowed to modify the car for as much power as you want because the power to weight ratio is only based on the factories power to weight ratio.

Yes, it's based on the power : weight (125 kW / T) (or capacity : weight = 3.5 l / T), ...BUT.... Initially, cars are placed on the list according to the factory spec. But, if you hot up a car not on the list to a point where it exceeds to power : weight (or capacity : weight), then it is also "technically" illegal for a P-plater do drive it. So you stick a 5.7 V8 in a HQ, then it's illegal for a P-plater, even though the stock HQ is legal.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im actually quite relieved, i mean no law is gonna stop me driving what i want, but the first year p-platers having the restrictions is a good compromise in my opinion. Its way better than banning everyone under 26 from a fast car.

Im still a strong believer in the view that its the driver, not the car thats at fault scenario. I feel that if someone is a dick behind the wheel, they will do it in any car, no matter the performance of the car. But anyways, a reasonably fair compromise me thinks

1. I think that my first year driving in a commonwhore v6 taught me alot of valuable lessons without killing me. Having said that I also think (EVLR34) and the WRX on its roof and all the other "P" plate killers have been used by the media to boost (no pun intended) the opinion that all P platers are hoons and they just kill people... Let all think about how many 25-40 year old people we know and how many accidents theyve had??? It happens to the best of us!

2. Has anyone considered that this might just promote young drivers to drive around without there P plates on???

3. Has anyone considered that the new "modified car" section of the legislation gives our friends in bacon blue another excuse to pull us over? Maybe JUST to check that we are not P platers, oh and whilst were here what mods has this got? DEFECT....

I can see many pros and many cons... Certainly not as black and white as some would like to believe!

so many flaws in many arguments..

a) p plates are not displayed up here in QLD at all.. if a similar thing was introduced in QLD how is a police offer meant to determine the age of the driver, other than pulling over all people with modified cars?

B) so many people in victoria drive with p-plates clearly displayed on cars that are over the existing power/weight limits which have been in place for donkeys. These cars are registered, insured, and driven by those on p-plates even though those cars are "meant" to be illegal to be driven.

c) how do you again, even if p plates are displayed determine which year they are on. In victoria there is no change in the colours over the years.. so pull over *all* p-platers?? (happens anyway, no change there....)

so its all smoke and mirrors and just put it place to appease a few.. it will do so for a while, then its the next thing in 12 months there will be the outcry over whatever is the issue then supposedly is "the" reason for continuing horrific deaths on our roads... and the cycle continues.

its all politicians games in the end.. to be seen to be doing something, when really doing nothing.

Seen Graeme Dousset on 7 News tonight in his first interview since the accident, he was criticizing the Carr government over the new restrictions that have just been brought in, he was also angry that he and the other parents had not been a part of the decision making process despite the fact that the government and the media used his son as the catalyst for these reforms.

It's just a knee jerk reaction from a jerk premier who has never even held a licence (the Carr surname is just another irony!).

The problem with these types of restrictions is that the people who make and enforce them have no idea about cars and performance.

I remember the hassles I had getting insurance on a Saab 9-3 a few years ago because it had a low pressure (eco friendly) turbo. No matter it only made 110 kw- it had a turbo and I was under 25 so some companies wouldn't even quote.

Introducing these kinds of restrictions just pushes the problem from occuring when drivers are on their P-plates, to when they become a full licenced, but totally inexperienced driver (hey but then it's not a problem and the government and moral crusaders have won their war right?).