SAU Community

HELP Hicas/battery problem!

OZR32GTR

Hi all,

Need help and advice.

I changed my 2 front tyres on the GTR today, from 265/40/17 to 245/40/17.

After doing so I noticed that the HICAS light started flashing now and then, didn't think anything of it til on the way home after work it stayed on, also (this may be totally unrelated) I noticed that my battery was sitting at 11.8 volts and dropped to below 8v by the time I limped into my driveway.

As soon as I start the car(after charging the battery) I can hear and feel the hicas doing something, but the volt meter and power FC both indicate that the alternator isn't charging the battery(I've never seen an alternator just die).

Q1. I did notice the battery problem before changing the tyres, could the Hicas problem expedite the draining of the battery?

Q2. Has anybody played with their hicas and if so what can I check(I haven't put into diag mode yet).

How can a car bring so much pleasure, but at the same time cause so much grief!!! Much like a woman I suppose :-)

Any advice would be appreciated.

(a not very happy)Brad

Make sure your power steer fluid is up to level. Other than that, search the forums to find out how to put the car into HICAS diagnostics mode (make sure the steering wheel is straight) and if theres anything wrong it will flash an error code at you, which will help you determine where the problem is.

Also on another note, make sure tyres profiles are the same size on all 4 corners of the car, or else the ATTESA will start to screw up :(

Thanks guys.

I've checked the fluid and it's all good.

It's was getting dark by the time I got home and by the time I got onto the forums to find out how to get into the diag mode I was too tired and way too grumpy to do it.

All the tyre profiles are the same.

But I did disconnect the battery to reset the ecu and it has seemed to have fixed the HICAS prob....maybe..... will check it out tonight...

I've checked all the leads and have come up with nothing, I'll have a look again to day after work in daylight otherwise I maybe searching for a new alternator.

I'll try and post in one of the other forums as well.

Will let you know how I go... why does all this fun stuff happen around holdiays!?!?

help!! i'm having some problems with my hicas, seems like its the new wheel i have put on. the light has started comming on after i put the wheel on. i have heard that it could be the boss kit.... where do i get this 'hicas boss' and how much is it??

OZR32GTR, just a note on the profiles of your tyres - if the rears are still 265 and the fronts are now 245, you will have different speed readings front and rear.

This will cause torque to be sent to the front to compensate (as it is seen as rear wheel slip) sidewall measurements are a percentage of the overall width - 40% of 265 is 106mm of sidewall, whereas 40% of 245 is 98mm. Not a huge difference, but may be enough to upset your system.