SAU Community

V35 Skyline

Fellow Skyline Owners,

I need to settle an argument once and for all with some friends of mine. I had originally contacted a couple of Aussie friends of mine for assistance, but neither is into cars and couldn't help me. (Skylines? Yeah we have Skylines here. V35, I don't know what that is.)

Is the latest generation Skyline (CV35/V35) sold in Australia, and if so, is it badged as a Nissan or an Infiniti? Also, if it is sold, do you guys get the 350GT trim level, or only the 300GT?

TIA,

M

2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe

Chicago, USA

Nope, no V35's are sold new by either Nissan Australia or Nissan NZ, apparently Nissan NZ looked at selling them but the numbers didn't add up.

In NZ we get grey market imported V35's (2nd hand used imports), mostly the 250GT Sedan (as those are most common in Japan) but I've seen a few 300 and 350GT sedans around recently, and the odd coupe (which only comes in 350GT form). These are badged as Nissan's as they were sold new in Japan. Also seen a couple of M35 wagons on the road here.

As for grey market V35's in Aussie, I believe that they are still going thru the compliance process - can anyone clarify that?

Doh. Looks like I have been schooled by my friends. Assuming confirmation of the gray market compliance by an Aussie, I guess I'm going to have to swallow my pride and admit my findings. I'll owe a couple of pints for this, thats for sure.

It doesn't make sense to me that the V35 isn't sold in Australia or NZ, and I could have *sworn* that I saw an Australian V35 tuner board when I was doing research for my purchase. That was the basis for my initial argument. Of course, when I went back to find it, to prove my point, I couldn't find what I remembered, but I found this forum instead. I suppose I just got things confused.

So then my next question is: Are the rumors surrounding the Infiniti brand name in Australia for 2006 true? In other words, is it true that Nissan has reserved the Infiniti GT-R badge for use on a car they're planning on selling in 2006?

mrmcderm: Hey, I heard in the US that you can drive left AND righthand drive cars without any extra certification... is this true?

**waits for Canadian to tell us about Canada**

mrmcderm: Hey, I heard in the US that you can drive left AND righthand drive cars without any extra certification... is this true?

I can't speak with absolute authority, because I don't work for the DOT, but it is my understanding that the certification process has to do with safety (windshield and side glass, passive and active restraint systems..etc), and emissions (we have really crappy gas here). I don't believe it has anything to do with what side of the car the steering wheel is on.

Case in point: A friend of mine has an 'illegally' imported Silvia and the state of Illinois doesn't say boo to him about his steering wheel, as long as he passes his biannual emissions tests. My uncle's classic Mini was properly imported in the late 70's, but is exempt from emissions testing. Same deal, no issues with the steering wheel being on the right.

Motorex legally imports R34 and older Skylines, and again, no mention of issues with the steering wheel, just with safety and emissions. I tried doing a quick search on the USDOT's web site, but all I got were references to a phone number for more information, and instructions to contact local state DOT for state specific questions.

So no, I do not think it is any harder to import and legalize a RHD car (R34) than it is to import and legalize a LHD car (BMW 1 Series)

Cheers for that (no Canadians in sight either :)).

I also heard that Motorex can't import R34 GT-Rs into the US now? They were too expensive anyway...

I also heard that Motorex can't import R34 GT-Rs into the US now? They were too expensive anyway...

Hmm...I don't know if they can or can't. They had a '99 R34 GT-R for sale a few months ago, but they wanted $70k+ USD for it.

Besides, even if they *were* to import R34s, they'd be getting a little long in the tooth. I would imagine that it would be difficult to find a low mileage R34 rolling around Japan or Australia.

They still have their custom order setup. I could inquire about an R34, but I really can't afford one and would be wasting their time. Besides, I love my V35. :)

Apparently they got caught out on OBD2 for the R34 GTR (and R33's later than 96 I think), the R34 doesn't have an OBD2 connector on it which I believe is required to pass whatever warrant of fitness tests they have over there (or was it emmissions?).

As for why Nissan Aussie/NZ don't sell the V35 - not enough of a market for it. It is too small (and too expensive) to compete with the Commodore/Falcons etc, and Nissan does not have enough of a profile in the luxury market for it to compete with the BMW 3 series, Lexus IS etc which are its 'natural enemies'.

god i wish they would bring in a lexus competitor like infiniti and give us all the good stuff like the v35 and so forth id be willing to buy a v35 with an infiniti badge on it (of course id order the replacement nissan bits from japan anyways)

As for why Nissan Aussie/NZ don't sell the V35 - not enough of a market for it. It is too small (and too expensive) to compete with the Commodore/Falcons etc, and Nissan does not have enough of a profile in the luxury market for it to compete with the BMW 3 series, Lexus IS etc which are its 'natural enemies'.

Ahh. So Aussies are similar to Americans, in that the won't spend a lot on a car unless its from the 'Luxury' line?

Ahh. So Aussies are similar to Americans, in that the won't spend a lot on a car unless its from the 'Luxury' line?
I'd say 'yes'... unless the car had some kind of redeeming feature eg: motorsport heritage.

Straight Six: don't worry man, I was just pointing out the original posters question to Aussies, to which a NZer answered... despite them screaming black and blue that they're a different country (and therefore can't/shouldn't answer).

Hee hee :D

• 2 weeks later...

my old man fixed a 35 skyline around 6 months ago... cant get them on the road here so shipped it over to nz..

I could be wrong but dad was saying something about been sold as renaults????? dont know.. he gets pretty confused now in his old age... must be all that bog dust

V35 is the current model of Nissan Skyline in Japan. The only other country that I am aware of selling that model of car would be the USA, under the badge of Infinity G35. V35 is the chasis designation of the car. It is no longer an "R" series (eg; R32, R33, R34), as the the engine is no longer RB series engine. It is now "V" series skyline, to go with the VQ series engine. Hopefully that answer your question.