SAU Community

Buying a R32 GTR in Sydney.....

As the title suggests, I am looking at getting an R32 GTR from here in Sydney.... I thought this site would be a good place to start to A) filter advice on what to look for and B) maybe find a well looked after, if maybe driven faster than an average! R32....

I am basically looking for a car that has been modded in the right way, with daily driver written on it! i.e. no 500kw service each week with kerry packers bank balance! something that has been improved on from the stocker, and all the quirks ironed out!

what will I pay?

just testing the water.....

Guest Mashrock

My mate has about 3 or 4 fresh off the boat r32gtr's here now or very soon.

his prices are great.

i bought a lovely dark blue one off him (well in the process of) and its one of the nicest ones i have seen so far..

i havnt seen the others yet. i think they rocked up just recently.

shall i give you his contact?

cheers

Andrew

and paying between 22-27 i guess. depending on the car and how much it cost him..

like everything, it all depends on how much you are willing to spend. You could get a bargain and it be fine....but you could also get a bomb. whether you are paying 25k or 40k there is still the chance that it could be a clapper. always helps to get the car checked out so you know what kind of condition its in. thats the advantage of buying one already here. however, buying one form japan could save you money but has more risks involved. thats my 2 cents.

Dont buy one fresh off the boat, buy one thats had all the problems sorted that has been in the country, not only can you look at it yourself but its likely the longer the owners had it the better off its going to be than something just off the boat in average condition

Guest Mashrock

wooh many people not wanting the ones fresh off the boat..

your looking at atleast an extra $5000 for a standard nice one thats already here compared to one fresh off the boat.

i know for sure that all the 32gtr's my mate has bought in over the past year have all been tops. and not one complaint as yet!!!!!

mind you this is roughly 50 gtr's this year so far.

so thats many happy customers!

Cereal Killer.... I am new here, and new to GTR's (the reason to post) but have a pretty good mechanical background in other cars (993 rscs / Evo 6-8 / RX-7s et al)

The meaning behind my post was to gather the opinion of owners / sellers etc on their experience with this type in a nutshell.... I am not a 17yr old kid with 50cents to rub together with big dreams, and no cash....... I was just saying that the type of car I am looking for would be the low Km, modified lightly ( anything that requires turbo rebuild's every 10,000km isnt going to cut it!) so I expect it will not be the fastest, but will be reliable.... as it will get driven daily, I am sure they are capable of this....

anyhow does anyone have such a car they are looking to part with in the sydney area?

email above.....

Guest Mashrock

haha it is true in some ways.

but all i've seen is very nice examples comming through my mate.

but one thing to know is that most japanese people are stinking rich, they buy cars get the mods done professionaly pay the big bucks, and just pose with them.

in saying this you can come across some very fine examples with alot of mods.

anyhoo!

that be all

Andrew.

Andrew, I daresay if I was a stinking rich japanese businessman, I wouldn't be driving a 1989 R32 GT-R, it'd be more the R34 variety :)

A very high percentage of GT-Rs are driven into the ground and you really have to be careful of what you buy especially as the age of the car progresses. Alot of modifications are infact not done on workshop budgets, and undoubtedly you'll end up spending money on anything fresh off the boat.

Guest Mashrock

it dosnt really matter where they are comming from!!!! they are still going to be 15yr old!!!!

atleast know that if its here it has had the guts thrashed out of it.

and likewise for it being in japan!!

but take not that some cars are very well lookd after over in japan!! and you can tell the difference!!!

the end!

most fresh off the boat GTR's are pretty trashed.

they may look good immaculate body etc etc.

but reality is these cars are thrashed from day 1

no most of them would have a hear failure problem.

so in my opinion buy a car that's already in the country.

or a GTR that has already had a engine rebuild.

Guest Mashrock
danny: You havent seen mine thats coming in then :D

your 100% right.

just wait boys!!!

your all going to get a big shock!!!

i.e. Mine is dope aswell!!

mashrock: isnt yours a fully worked gtr tho? ie motor and gearbox? i think that majority of the shit ones imported are stock or close to stock. the ones that have turbo changes and internals done will tend to be in a lot better condition as more money was spent on it.