SAU Community

amp protection

AR93NT

does anyone know what is wrong with my amp?

a second after power is supplied to the amp, the protection light comes on. it only just did this the other day and i haven't been able to get it going since.

when i turn it on the sub does one big kick out then slowly goes back in. i thought this was strange.

i have checked all the connections and the ground is fine. the fuses are also all fine. but i did try taking the fuses out. the amp light comes on, the protection doesnt but the sub doesnt work either...

have i blown my amp? :D

what can i do?

:boohoo:

Check for a short somewhere, I wouldn't be surprised if you've either got a "normal" short (ie a wire has rubbed through and is touching something it shouldn't) or one of the wires going to the amp has a strand coming out of it touching the amp or another wire.

Unplug it.

Plug it straight to the battery. (Short the power and accessories terminals together on the amp). See if it works then.

If the light goes on ok you have a short somewhere - check your speaker wires not shorting either.

If it doesn't work then then I'd be checking the fuse and then p'raps start shopping for a new amp or if it's a good one trying to get it repaired.

Good luck :D

Unplug it.

Plug it straight to the battery. (Short the power and accessories terminals together on the amp). See if it works then.

If the light goes on ok you have a short somewhere - check your speaker wires not shorting either.

If it doesn't work then then I'd be checking the fuse and then p'raps start shopping for a new amp or if it's a good one trying to get it repaired.

Good luck :D

yeah exactly what i would do, but sometimes if an amp is played hard and doesnt get any cooling i.e. mounted on an angle or upside down it will fry the internal components