SAU Community

Which Clutch to choose

paulgts-t

I need some help picking a clutch for my R33 GTS-t.

I have a FMIC, Increased boost and full exhuast. I do not plan to do much more to the car, but it is due for a new clutch.

I do the odd track day and the car is a daily driver as well.

Can anybody please tell me whether a Kevlar or Ceramic clutch would be better suited.

I need to drive the car daily so the clutch must be a little user friendly, but I do not mind a heavier clutch feel.

Any feedback on what each type of clutch is like to drive with would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Well I was looking for a clutch not long ago.

Everyone was telling me to get a brass button one. But I didn't wanna go that hardcore. I went pretty close but :)

I got an organic clutch with a 3000lbs pressure plate.

It is awesome. I love it. Apparently it can hold up to 600hp.. So it will handle my 50hp just fine :)

It's very heavy.. well for my poor widdle weg. But I couldn't be happier. Very good take offs too.

Cost me $340 exchange for the clutch and around $307 to get it installed.

ummm abit optimistic on the 600 hp on a organic ones?, for the application u require a 2500lb pressure plate and a grey rock compound from exedy will do just nice , smooth take of, last quiet good and will accept a bootfull when require , but not absolute hardcore as the ceramic metal puck ones. and i don't know how much it cost either.

I recently had mine done. (I own an MR2 Turbo though)

The clutch cost me $388 custom built in QLD by direct clutch service. They're based in Albion.

I had it installed for $350 ;) sooooooooo nice now :D

Guest nismogtsx

The guys at direct clutch know their stuff...

Give em a call.. Mine cost $680 for a twin plate customed but i did go to school with the guy's son so i can't get that price for you...

I got the clutch through Nicks Clutch Service at Coopers Plains.

Was quite impressed with this guys honesty.

Once you get used to a clutch its not that bad having a heavy clutch. The car is my everyday driver. I wouldn't want to have any other clutch in there now. I love it.

(the guy who put it in I wasn't too impressed with. He didn't change the throw out bearing nor ask if I wanted it done.. so now it makes a terrible noise)

Originally posted by NismoGirl

I got the clutch through Nicks Clutch Service at Coopers Plains.  

Was quite impressed with this guys honesty.  

Once you get used to a clutch its not that bad having a heavy clutch. The car is my everyday driver. I wouldn't want to have any other clutch in there now. I love it.  

(the guy who put it in I wasn't too impressed with. He didn't change the throw out bearing nor ask if I wanted it done.. so now it makes a terrible noise)

You ALWAYS replace the thrust bearing (they are what $20?) when changing the clutch.

Let me tell you something else that might make you think a little less of the clutch fitters you used: Single plate organic material clutches will die very fast at the hands of a 600hp engine (the best I've seen is a rating of 350HP for a single plate organic). At least you don't have a 600HP engine to show them up with. What gets me is why they feel they have to lie to you about how much power it can handle. I would be asking them to refer you to one of their existing clients with a 600+HP skyline who uses the same clutch.

Nick's clutch is pretty good here in brissy too bad he uses the caltex down the road to get them fitted. RACE clutch engineering in Buranda is another guy who is worth a look. I've currently got a clutch from direct and am not really happy with it. If I could do it all again i would go see RACE and get a 3000lbs AP racing pressure plate, full face organic with glued/riveted steel backing, i think he was selling this combo for around the $800 mark not fitted.

Originally posted by rev210

You ALWAYS replace the thrust bearing (they are what $20?) when changing the clutch.  

Let me tell you something else that might make you think a little less of the clutch fitters you used: Single plate organic material clutches will die very fast at the hands of a 600hp engine (the best I've seen is a rating of 350HP for a single plate organic). At least you don't have a 600HP engine to show them up with. What gets me is why they feel they have to lie to you about how much power it can handle. I would be asking them to refer you to one of their existing clients with a 600+HP skyline who uses the same clutch.

Well I didn't know this and he obviously didn't want to tell me (about the throw out bearing)

And my car is never going to have that much power. So I dont think I really need to worry about it.

Originally posted by NismoGirl

Well I didn't know this and he obviously didn't want to tell me (about the throw out bearing)

And my car is never going to have that much power. So I dont think I really need to worry about it.

It all comes out in the wash anyway:)

This is also for u ppls with 3000lb pressure plate, that's in time it will crack the little alluninium casting in the bellhousing where the hydraulic selector is pivot on.. and btw thanks for clearing up about 600hp cars and single plate organic.

Originally posted by GiJOr33

well i'm looking at getting a twin plate clutch... but am not sure which road to go down... any suggestions?

brands etc?? i'll be looking at something to hold 300+kw at the wheels

thanks

andrew

Ogura Racing clutch. Very light almost stock feel even on their 1500+HP rated 4 plater.

I've heard Nismo and ATS twin-plates are very good. Easy to use and able to handle some serious power. I've felt the pedal of a Nismo twin-plate and it feels incredibly light... like a small car.

I'm looking at getting one myself too; I've got a multiplate of unknow origin that's a switch and I hate it. It's always a bonus when I go for a drive, get home and haven't stalled the car :cool: