SAU Community

rattling when clutch released? (r32)

whodaman

my mechanic says it is the thrust (sp) bearing? but he says to wait until the clutch gives then we'll fix it.

Is this a good idea? - to wait for the clutch to give? or should i get rid of the noise/rattling now?

the noise goes away if i step on the clutch.

Don't worry about it at all mate. As a matter of fact, because of the differing materials used in the clutch/gearbox assembly, even a new thrust bearing and clutch will probably still make that noise as use of the clutch pedal wears a groove so nothing lines up properly any more.

Unless it makes you want to sell your car, just live with it.

I have this exact same problem. Mines more of a grinding noise, when you put your foot on the clutch is makes a pshhhh type of noise and the grinding goes away.

The clutch feels really weak and spongy when taking off .. Its a Twin plate as well ?? Maybe its on its last legs ? :P

Nah i just realised his is when he lets it out yours is normal its the plates rubbing together as they separate and slow down dont stress its fine mate..if its starts to slip under power etc then its getting older over its useable life but if it only makes that noise its fine.. :P