SAU Community

HELP! belts, power steering, air cond comp, pulley?

z00mxr32

hi all,

i have noticed that im hearing some noises at the front right (passenger) side where the power steering pump is.

my car is r32 1993 skyline turbo with 86556klms.

sounds like fan belt sounds but it aint ..coz the belts are still good ( but may need replacing due to klms.)

could it be:

*the power steering pump (which i think its not coz fluids are not being drained nor steering doesnt make noises when i fully turn right or left)

*the 3 belts ? (but still looks good and still has thread)

*the buttom tensioner pulley? (when i get below the car to listen to the noise it sounds louder and *seems* like its the bottom aircond tensioner pulley)

*the air cond compressor bearings? (i currently havent re-gased the system but i dont even use it)

has anyone had this sort of problems and what was the outcome?

pls help as i drive the car everyday . (but i have another car anywaiz) but i wanna get this fixed.

thanks pepolz

:)

probably the most effective way to determine it's location would be to remove each belt until you can isolate the noise. Start with the Power steer as it is in front. Then remove the Air con belt.

If the noise disappears after removing the aircon belt then it will be either the tensioner pulley or the air con pulley bearings. A way to tell between the two would be with a very long screw driver or long thin metal probe. Place the probe over the front nut of the tensioner and listen to the end. Put it right up to your ear. If it is louder than the compressor pulley then this is most likely your problem.

Another way would be to turn on your A/C. If you do isolate it and it turns out to be one of these two, tun the A/C on, with the belt on of course. If the noise disappears then usually it would be the compressor pulley. If it stays the same then it would be the tensioner.

Obviously it also depends on the noise that it is making. If it is a high squeel then it is more likely to be a belt. If it is a growly noise then pulley or bearing or pump.

If it sounds like a belt, spray a couple of very quick squirts of WD40 onto the ribbed side of the belt. (only a small amount - don't pile it on)

WARNING! Be very very careful when placing the probe onto the tensioner pulley nut. It can be very dangerous if you are not careful.

Another way would be to turn on your A/C. If you do isolate it and it turns out to be one of these two, tun the A/C on, with the belt on of course. If the noise disappears then usually it would be the compressor pulley. If it stays the same then it would be the tensioner.

Obviously it also depends on the noise that it is making. If it is a high squeel then it is more likely to be a belt. If it is a growly noise then pulley or bearing or pump.

If it sounds like a belt, spray a couple of very quick squirts of WD40 onto the ribbed side of the belt. (only a small amount - don't pile it on)

when i turn on the A/C the sound is still there but not as loud, im thinking that it would be the tensioner pulley...

i did spray abit of WD40 on the power steering pump pulley first and on the bottom pulley and the sound is still there ... but i havent sprayed on the belts..

i guess my only way around it is remove the belts and pit point where the noise is coming from as u mentioned.

though when i look at the tensioner pulley closely i can sort of see it wobble just a little bit .. but i reckon 80% it could be the pulley.

i also rang nissan parts in Rosehill and they gave me a quote on the genuine pulley price $150 is dat right? does anyone know where else i can buy cheaper or i have to go genuine?

thanks 3LIT3 FORS3 for your reply.

My car (1989) has belt noise for 30secs (ish) following cold startup.

I'll check out where the noise is coming from (thought it was the alternator - only because it goes away after startup). Thanks 3lite3, I'll try the WD40. Cheers

Mark

found the problem ...

i tried the wd40 / rpc stuff and didnt solve the problem .. so i cut off the aircond belt (my aircond doesnt work no gas and dont use it.) and found that the problem was the bottom "tensioner pulley".

so imma get that replaced but nissan genuine parts chargin me $120-150 ...is da price right?

thanks anywaiz guys .. "problem solved"