SAU Community

r32: rattling gone when on clutch?

whodaman

Hi,

Anyone know how to fix this problem?

I change gears fine. everything works.

There is this rattling noise that bothers me. I don't hear it when cruising along with the exhaust and radio going. But, while idling in neutral, I can hear a rattling noise maybe in the gear box?

The noise goes away when I step on the clutch.

What to do? Replace whole gearbox? Is it a flywheel problem?

my car is a 2.0 gts r32 4dr sedan, manual...

I had the gear box oil changed 2.5 years ago. I noticed the rattling in the last 3 months.

a mechanic says to wait until it goes then he'll fix it. somehow I think fixing it now is better than waiting for "it"(?) to go...

Thanks to anyone who helps.

mine use to do it but wasnt real bad. Clutch wore out not long after so i put new clutch and bearing in and was all good. depends how bad yours is. if it sounds like its about to seize id get it done soon as you dont want it to sieze and stuff your pressure plate

Ok.. i'll have to keep an eye out for gearboxes for sale...  thanks dude

why? the thrust bearing is part of the clutch. goes on the clutch fork, can buy them seperate or probably better of replacing clutch at same time. if it is that dont see why you need to look for a gearbox

I change gears fine. everything works.

There is this rattling noise that bothers me.  I don't hear it when cruising along with the exhaust and radio going.  But, while idling in neutral, I can hear a rattling noise maybe in the gear box?

The noise goes away when I step on the clutch..

Odds on it's a noisy clutch throw-out bearing. Cheap to fix...maybe $50+fitting, but it's been a long time since I bought just the bearing as it's usually changed when the clutch is replaced. Since the gearbox has to come out anyway to fix it, it would be worthwhile checking the condition of the clutch while its out.

I had the gear box oil changed 2.5 years ago.  I noticed the rattling in the last 3 months.

You're definately overdue for an oil change...I assume the level has at least been checked since it was changed ?? Still, if it's changing gears normally then it's probably just the clutch t/out bearing (above).

a mechanic says to wait until it goes then he'll fix it.  somehow I think fixing it now is better than waiting for "it"(?) to go....

A t/out bearing can be noisy for a very long time before it actually fails completely. Usually they just seize and the whole thing gets VERY noisy. Don't think I'd wait until it actually failed tho....

The worse the carrier bearing gets, the more it can wear out the clutch. If it seizes, it'll wear down the face of the bearing, then the clutch won't fully disengage. Some don't get like that but it can happen.

If there were a problem with the gearbox, I would imagine you would be able to hear it while driving, as neutral is not a loaded position. More likely to be the carrier bearing. If the noise sounds bad then get it changed immediately. Get the clutch done at the same time as OFENSV mentioned.

Should cost around the $600 mark for an upgraded clutch fitted drive away.

Would prolly cost around $200-$250 to just do the Carrier bearing (which only costs about $15). It often pays to do the rear main seal while your in there but it should be ok if it's not leaking at all.

There is a test you can do to tell the difference between the carrier bearing and gearbox noise. Just rest your foot on the clutch to take up the free play. Don't push it to the floor. This will push the carrier bearing up against the pressure plate but won't disengage the clutch. If the noise goes away like before, then the carrier bearing is the one.

yer mines goin too ... im gunna do it soon , so long as i can find meself a few hrs and no rain.

Do u need any specialized tools to get the box out ? i only got a few sockets and spanners :( .. oh and bugga gettin a mechanic to charge u 200 bucks to pull the box out !

The thrust/throw out bearing for the clutch only spins when the clutch is pressed in to the floor.

Yet you said the noise goes away when you step on the clutch?

Therfore it isn't the throwout/clutch bearing.

This is why you shouldn't sit at lights holding the clutch in as you wear the bearing out unnecessarily.

It will be one of two things.

One, its as simple as the input shaft bearing being stuffed. (Needs replacment)

Two, the hard casing has worn off the input shaft and main cluster gear in the box meaning all these parts will need replacing, therfore its cheaper to replace box altogether.

To rebuild it is going to cost some money. You would be better off to wait till it goes, then just replace it with another. RB20 boxes aren't worth much these days.

sorry to sound like a dumb ass but wat ? i thought if the throwout bearing was on its way if u pushed the clutch in the noise would go away ...

Ur sayin its the input shaft bearing ? umm isnt there only 1 bearing (that big round one) and a bush in the bak of block (brass) where shaft goes . Wats the "Input shaft bearing" . now im scared . I should just grab a new box . There is a small wind in the gears to i not sure if thats all bearing either . Wat u think , just grab new box to be safe , i dont wanna put the new bearings on and put it all bak in to find out i wasted all that time for nothing

Sorry to hijak ur thread wodaman .. me havin same issues :)

ummm , actually ... i was told that it is Actually the input shaft bearing .. John from UAS said thats wat was wrong wif my box . "welcome to nissan" he says :D damn it ...

So id prolly just get a new box in that case .

How would u tell if ur thrustrace bearing was goin then ?

When you press the clutch in, the clutch fork presses the thrust/clutch bearing into the clutch pressure plate fingers and the two parts of the bearings spin.

When you release the clutch the fork/bearing slide away from the fingers and the bearing spins as a complete assembly with the box input shaft. So it can't make any noise obviously.

If you press in the clutch in and its noisy then the clutch bearing would be shot, as the bearing will be spinning anytime the clutch is pressed to the floor.

If it isn't noisy it is fine.