SAU Community

gradenko sighting

RadiuM

twas down at SST picking my car up, saw an R33 there and he was crapping on about it and im like.. hmmm i know this one, so yeah saw it with something new..

a big fat silver chunk of metal on the front... NICE :-)

what sort of times you going to expect with more boost and a tune?

Shaun

Originally posted by RadiuM

a big fat silver chunk of metal on the front... NICE :-)

Excellent, so they're making decent progress. I've been sitting around for 6 days wondering how much was being done :D BTW, was the car at SSTs workshop or was Steve pointing it out in another workshop? Cause the workshop doing the job (Global Motorworks) is opposite from SST, so I'm not sure what the car's doing at SST, unless they share the load of storing cars.

I don't think I'll run down the quarter just yet, have a couple more GoFastBits to bolt on still. I won't try and guess a 1/4 mile time either (I prefer being suprised), but I will say the most I expect from any stock turbo'd 25t is in the region of 13.5x. (Not that I think I can run that :)).

Originally posted by skyzerr33

a big shinie coola thats abit ricey aye cobber

Sure, its purty, but its not rice if it lets me hand you back your ass :D

adam 32, painting it black isn't a bad idea. Keep all the bozzo's guessing and makes it theif safe.

Gradenko,

are you doing anything else apart from the cooler?

I'm about to go get a button clutch so I can install my flywheel.

I reckon a stock turbo gtst without any fuel management and stock ic can do a flat 13..... Oh no did I just say that inner monologue out loud?:D

Originally posted by rev210

Gradenko,  

I'm about to go get a button clutch so I can install my flywheel.

I reckon a stock turbo gtst without any fuel management and stock ic can do a flat 13..... Oh no did I just say that inner monologue out loud?:D

Ahh okkaaay:rolleyes: how much does ure gtst weigh??? 800kgs?

Hes got safc and 5 puck clutch. Id let him tell u himself but the slacker prolly wont wake up till 3pm:lol:

I reckon a stock turbo gtst without any fuel management and stock ic can do a flat 13.....

From what I've seen, i'd have to say that it'd be quite a challenge getting a flat 13 outta a stock IC/ gtst.....

but having said that, I have set a goal for my car, not in KW, but in 1/4mi. times. I'm aiming for a low 13sec car :D

having 250rwKW means JACK if you can't get the power to the ground....in my opinion, thus I have no "aims for 200rwkw+"

-Kym.

Originally posted by Strich9ine

From what I've seen, i'd have to say that it'd be quite a challenge getting a flat 13 outta a stock IC/ gtst.....

but having said that, I have set a goal for my car, not in KW, but in 1/4mi. times. I'm aiming for a low 13sec car :)

-Kym.

It would be quite a challenge to get a flat 13, I agree.

I think you will do very well if you have decided to aim for a low 13 as a goal, especially if that is your priority. Having a goal when setting out to mod your car is the best way to go, it means you will have a focus. As they say ' if you aim at nothing you will hit it ' and if you aim at everything you will hit nothing.

Boostzor -- Last time my car ran down the 1/4 it had an extra 100+kgs of weight, 205 tyres and 8psi of boost courtesy of a hose that I didn't want to pop again. A 13.8, it would have been lower but I needed smaller tyres and less boost.

So as you can see my car is very heavily modified, unlike Gradenko who's car is only 'mildly' modified. I think if I can modify my boot to take concrete blocks I will drop my time into the 11's. I am also looking into lead panels and sand bags. :D

Originally posted by Boostzor

Ahh okkaaay:rolleyes:  how much does ure gtst weigh??? 800kgs?

Hes got safc and 5 puck clutch. Id let him tell u himself but the slacker prolly wont wake up till 3pm:lol:

haha i agree, gtsts dont have the top end from the stock turbo to get a flat 13 let alone stock ic (unless refrig :D ) and no management. I havent seen one get remotely close to that yet..

theorms dont work unless they are proved!

"i only got a 14.8 but a Terminal speed of 108mph" woopdee do unless u can prove it ur only ever good enough to get what ya get!

you can get a flat 13 from 200rwkw or so if you setup the suspension right. but drag times arent everything, wheres the fun in driving in straight lines? you need to find the balance. and id be damn happy with 250rwkw i couldnt get to the ground:D just hope im rich enough to buy a new set of tyres each week

anyway good luck dinesh, looks like the cars coming on nicely and with 13.8 youre already one of the quicker R33 gtst's down the 1/4 mile :uh-huh:

Originally posted by macka

haha i agree, gtsts dont have the top end from the stock turbo to get a flat 13 let alone stock ic (unless refrig :D ) and no management. I havent seen one get remotely close to that yet..

theorms dont work unless they are proved!

"i only got a 14.8 but a Terminal speed of 108mph" woopdee do unless u can prove it ur only ever good enough to get what ya get!

I haven't seen one get close either over here. I believe have been a few over east? What I haven't seen over here is any kind of serious attempt to set up a street/strip gtst. Most are a mish mash of street/track/strip, being pretty ordinary at all three.

I agree about 'proving' the time as well. If you like the 1/4 mile as your sport this is all that matters to you anyway. The theory however is not skyline specific, goodness knows I didn't learn it from owning mine, on the whole a car that is rather slow compared to some of my others.

Top end aint the problem mate, unless your car stops making power above 3500rpm or something and you don't have the right gearing ratios. Power to weight ratio is what counts. There are plenty of cars with a similar power to weight ratio running 12's here and over east.

I would center the argument about launching the car right and keeping wheelspin down in the 2nd and 3rd gears.

Nah, only 'cooler and tuning this week. Still gotta give the hip pocket a chance to recover :D Oh, I'm thermo wrapping all under bonnet piping. Should be cheaper than HPC'ing it all.

I reckon a stock turbo gtst without any fuel management and stock ic can do a flat 13.....

Yeah, it probably could... if it could do a 1.6s 60' like wrx's, evo's and gtr's. Its just not bloody likely without very sticky and very expensive slicks. I'll take your hint and heavily modifiy my boot to accept 3 x 50kg sand bags :)

Originally posted by Gradenko

Yeah, it probably could... if it could do a 1.6s 60' like wrx's, evo's and gtr's. Its just not bloody likely without very sticky and very expensive slicks. I'll take your hint and heavily modifiy my boot to accept 3 x 50kg sand bags :D

What was your 660ft time on the 13.8 mate?

Mine was 9 flat at 81.08mph for the 13.8 run.

Gradenko, yer... i was talking to Danny at global motorworks which is where i was picking my car up from also, i just assumed it was from SST, didnt realise they did that sort of thing.

Shaun

Guest GR33DyMANGO

im also picking my car up from global motorworks. if u see my car (silver sII) can u please tell me how its progressing. im beyond eager to finally get my hands on this baby:D

RadiuM, what were you having done to your car, left over compliancing type stuff?

GR33DyMANGO, will do :)

rev210, I think the reason why we haven't seen any strip/street 25ts is because it'd be a shame to delegate such a nice handling car to straight line duty. Like adam said, wheres the fun in that. Straight lines don't turn me on all that much, which why I'm leaning towards a track/street mish mash, hopefully the car will be half decent at at least one of them. :D

Originally posted by Gradenko

RadiuM, what were you having done to your car, left over compliancing type stuff?

GR33DyMANGO, will do :)

rev210, I think the reason why we haven't seen any strip/street 25ts is because it'd be a shame to delegate such a nice handling car to straight line duty. Like adam said, wheres the fun in that. Straight lines don't turn me on all that much, which why I'm leaning towards a track/street mish mash, hopefully the car will be half decent at at least one of them. :D

I don't think you need to give up much handling wise if anything, at least if you feel the stock car handles nicely. Besides a street/strip car is essentially one that is great to drive on the road and not too shabby on the occasional strip trip. Street before strip.

My first priority it to keep my car 'streetable'. I want smooth handling and engine response (after all its my work car ).

The guys I often meet who talk about getting the street/track setup are more often than not never going to drive at waneroo or any track for that matter. Most can't drive well and have done the race suspension only (usually poorly) and haven't touched the brakes (look out skyline owners!) or anything else. My worn stock suspensioned car will out handle most of them on a circuit.

The track setup depending on how far you go will comprimise your cars everyday drivabillity far more than a strip consideration. You really ought to have a passion to race to go this way and at least do it properly and be prepared for large outlays of cash when you brake stuff.

I don't think you need to give up much handling wise if anything

While I've never driven on Mickey Thompsons, I can't imagine the soft side walls not being much good for steering response. Thats compromise enough, IMHO.

My first priority it to keep my car 'streetable'. I want smooth handling and engine response (after all its my work car ).

I strongly agree. The thing is, going drag orientated really confuses matters when its time for a turbo change. Before they know it, the drag racer will be running a T60 with spool up time so high they need nitrous just to get off the line. Not an issue if you don't go crazy with turbo sizes, I guess :)

Turbo setup is the kinda area where track and street most overlap. In the both cases, its important to have low transient boost response and a relativley smooth power curve. It no good having a turbo that spins the wheels as it comes on boost, would make cornering pretty difficult.

Ignoring matters of skill and common sense, circuit suspension is hard to get right for a street driven car, but it is possible without going rock hard. The problem is ppl who think lower = less roll = better, without really thinking about wheel geometry and the real afftect stiff springs have on the rest of the setup. But when its done right, a mild track car would be much more fun to drive on the street (IMHO) than a drag orientated car.

My worn stock suspensioned car will out handle most of them on a circuit.

Good point. "Before you fix the car, fix the driver" - MaxAction mailing list. Its the reason I'm not making suspension changes until I can tell theres a definate problem to fix. ie, not until I'm at the cars limit.

and be prepared for large outlays of cash when you brake stuff.

Probably relevant advice even for a street car :D