SAU Community

RB25 or RB26 in upgrade

aridyne

Well I have finally found the problem to my recent thread on backfires and smoke.. my last cylinder is KAPUT...so now i enter the fork in the road as to rebuild and strengthen my current RB25DET or upgrade/crossgrade to a RB26DETT with either using the current single highflowed turbo I have or using original RB26 Turbos? If I went RB26 way then I would not going AWD but still leave it in RWD.

What thoughts or suggestions do any of you that have done this or known of someone whom has got?

Thanks

RB26 is a very expensive option (have one in my GTST) unless you can fit it all yourself - save your bucks & rebuild what you have.

Yes I know it can be exspensive, but what are the power output options like, I gather you will not gain a substainal difference from just rebuilding the engine? That the RB26 would give a better platform from which to grow into a beast :)

My goal would be to get approx 250-260rwkw from the car. Currently I am at 215rwkw and with the current turbo (just high flowed recently) and the new injectors, pump, stand alone ecu etc I think the RB25 will do the job if rebuilt properly. I think I would be able to get to 300rwkw with the RB25 as well by strengthing the internals with Aria pistons and some Tomei gear?

I do think with 250-260rwkw I will be very happy with as I am still looking at keeping it a streetable car.

or rb30det - just a thought .... i mean, you have the head and all the rest of the running gear... just need a bottom end, and someone to do the changeover for you ...... unless you have access to a workshop

cheaper than an rb26

just my 2c

do what i did and stroked the rb25 engine with a GTR crank :D Little bit of machining had to be done to block but didnt cost much at all. Also bigger head gasket and 1mm was taken out of the combustion chambers in the head to decompress it down abit :)

do what i did and stroked the rb25 engine with a GTR crank :D Little bit of machining had to be done to block but didnt cost much at all.

for less than 100cc extra, a GTR crank isnt worth the $$ IMO.

better spent elsewhere.

if you only want 250-260, jsut rebuild the 25.

Cost you 7k motor in and out.

RB26 might be a tad cheaper, but then its 2nd hand.

Your 25 will be fresh and if looked after will last for years.

Yeah well they are all good suggestions and if I have a good amount to spend, then I would most likely go all out. However me thinks sticking to rebuilding the RB25 with forged pistons, rods and bolts along with a new engine & head gasket and regrounding the crankshaft to harden it and add new cam gears and valve springs and poncams. This way I am pretty much assured the engine will handle 400+kw and take me into the low 12's with the rest of my setup.