SAU Community

splits crackling

KILL HSV

overboost for good sql you should have a strong front stage... it would be a bad idea to run the front off the deck and back amped... it just means when you turn it up you will get distortion through the fronts ...

id rather have amped front speakers and no back speakers

and yeah it would be intersting to see the thd stats on that pyle amp and the continuous output figures.....

I have Splits, 2 Subs, 4 amps etc etc etc .. but not everyone has that kind of money to spend on a system .. if he put some nice 3ways in the front and some coaxles or 6x9's in the rear he should be happy ..

hang on, so you're suggesting he buy new gear to replace the stuff that isn't working right???? seems illogical to me.

kill hsv, its just a matter of tracking down your problems with your tweets. i wouldn't be replacing a set of splits with "3-way's" and i'd rather poke myself in the eye than fit 6x9's.

you've got the right bits, just make them all talk to each other and they'll be just fine. you'll find that the separate component route (i.e. splits) will be a far better block upon which to build, should you want to upgrade and change things in the future.

and in regard to rear speakers, you'll find many "sq" systems run no rear speakers at all. pardon the cliche'd phrase from the audio world, but you don't go to a live gig and hear the performers from behind you. rear fill is best left to providing rear-seat passengers with music and multichannel surround systems imo. if you want to run rears, cross them over high (really high) so as to avoid pulling your soundstage backwards and try to fade them out as much as realistically possible.

cheers

d

overboost, I don't suppose you have the specs to that Pyle amp anywhere do you? I'd like to have a look over them if I may. :D

500 Watts X 4 Output

1000W x 2 Bridged Output (500 x 2 + 1000 x 1)

Dual Variable Hi/Lo Electronic Crossover Network

Dual Variable Bass Boost (0 - +18dB @ 60Hz)

Variable Input Level (Gain) Control

Remote Turn On/Off

Gold Plated RCA Inputs

High Level Molex Input

Power On LED Indicator

LED Protection Indicator

Blue LED Scanning Illumination

Remote Bass Boost

S/N Ratio: > 95dB

THD: < 0.04%

Thermal Protection

Overload Protection

Short Circuit Protection

Anti-thump Turn-on

Tri-Mode Configurable

Dimensions:10.87''X2.26''X17'' (WxHxL)

Just focusing on the power levels and THD, what is the power output at 12 volts, 13 volts and 14.4 and what resistance are these measured at?

Now I'm not having a shot at the amp at all or denying the claimed power, I'm simply interested. ;)

not bad ive seen amps that are tested and rated at a 0.10% THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) which gives ratings that are realy bogus .. THD is something to realy look out for.