SAU Community

Front wheel bearing. How to get hub off

I think I have located a rumbly (noisy) wheel bearing in my R33 gtst (friont passenger side). In previous cars I have taken the hub off and got a mechanic to put the new bearing in. I had a look today and I can take off the steering arm, strut etc off. But I was just wondering if when poeple take the hub off they disconnect the whole steering axis pivot aswell, hence having to diconnect from top wishbone. Or do you disconnect at this point. There are covers etc so I didn't want to muck around. Is there a manual that would explain this

How long does getting the hub off take and what do you end up with in your hand ...ie. the whole bit where the hub rotates around and the bit that blts to top wishbone ..or not?

Thanks

Umm, you should be aware that the reason you are not getting much of a response here is because Skylines rarely do wheel bearings. I thought I had done one once but it turned out that I had just stuffed my rotor and all it needed was machining to fix it.

I swear it felt and sounded just like a wheel bearing but it wasn't.

Interesting. Maybe I should take off the calipers and see if when I spin it I still get the rumble. Thanks for the idea.

Spins very free though. More so than the other side that is not noisy..like in my corolla, the bearings were a lot stiffer once I put the new ones in..i.e. the wheel was not as free spinning.

As previously posted by Abo Bob, wheel bearing wear on Skylines is most unusual. It can be confirmed by checking the sideways play in the bearing. Simply jack up the suspect wheel, grab the tyre with one hand at the front and the other at the rear and attempt to rock the tyre in and out. Do the same with one hand at the top and the other at the bottom. Compare the amounts of movement.

The next test is to remove the dust cover and the split pin and see if there is any looseness in the retaining nut. Also a visual inspection of the amount and condition of the grease usually reveals any bearing wear.

Hope that is of some help:cheers:

Do you mean the dust cover at the back? I'll investigate. But when I spin that hub there is quite a rumbly noise.

So if I find it is the bearing how does it all come apart - what shoul I end up with in my hand. THhe whole hub with the steering axis atached to it?

Thanks

Well i took the caliper off and the noise was still there. There was so many dead insects caught in the back between the disc and hub. I took them all out and there was less noise. There is a dust cap at the BACK and the big nut is at the back also. I think I'm going to have to pull it apart and some stage to replace.

The bearing is quite noisy when you spin the wheel orr disk. Also you can see the disk is moving axially when you spin it. I guess it could be warped slightly but possibly the bearing is causing this.

Anybody got a manual for an R33 showing this. The S15 manual I have shows a nut at the front!

There is a cap over the nut at the back. Remove the cap, remove the nut (which is not easy, as the hub will spin). You may need the wheel on the ground to hold it down, and chock it.

I think it will be 30mm thread - big sucker.

Yes it comes off very easy once the nut is off, maybe just some gentle coaxing with an all purpose adjusting tool (put the nut back on 90% first so you dont damage the thread).

To undo the nut, just get someone to stand on the brakes.....then find a reaaaaaly big breaker bar and off she comes

Hey thanks Predator and Duncan

I found this for an R34 - it makes sense now I think R33 will be the same. I'll give it a go, I've been fixing my brothers camry onto the the skyline soon.

Does anybody have the part no for the front wheel bearing of an R33? will I have trouble getting the bearing out of the hub? I will probably take the hub to a mechanic and let them do it with the press etc. I priced Nissan and they were $76 - I think I can do better.

axle7xm.jpg

I guess once I get the hub nut undone I will disconnect the hub at points below. I think it will be easier to undo the axle nut while it is in car so I can use the brake as Duncan was saying. THanks

assembly8ow.jpg

lol I hope your japanese is up to scratch!

The bit to worry about is 206-284nm....it is damn tight....you will need plenty of leverage if you are doing it yourself :D

Bearings should be available aftermarket, give ACL a call, they will be half the price of nissan ones and may be better quality as well