SAU Community

Tuning Ethics

Probably a $100 WOT tune like mine. :D

We have a tuning shop here in SA that has the PFC software. I'll be making sure they do not lock the maps. I'm even going to go as far as bringing along my trust USB drive and 'tell' them to copy a set of the maps to it. :)

If i was a workshop id be inclined to lock the maps. If ppl want to play then fine, but i unlock it and i make it known to everyone who is listening "Its no longer my tune/responsibility"

How many places get tarred because the cars engine let go 3 weeks after a new mod and re/tune? The owner wants more, winds more ignition into it, winds more revs into it etc etc then cooks the engine. Some ppl see the opportunity to save themselves some coin and hit up the tuner for the damage to their engne.

Id be inclinded to lock the ECU then say, look if you want to fiddle then fine, but its on you, ive done my job and its my reputation.

Tuner is the last giy to touch the car but wears the burden of the crook spanner work, the sometimes poor selection of equip, poor maintenance history etc etc.

What makes CRD the best? Is it just a reputation thing with their drag GTR and 200SX or do they have a pool of cars that are making the numbers reliably?

At the end of the day you get what you pay for, but as long as you get what you paid for:)

I understand your point Roy, but the fact of the matter is that they did not bother to tell me they were locking the maps up front. If they had bothered to let me know, then at least I'd have the information to make a decision to either tell them that I didn't want the maps locked (thus taking responsibility for any changes made to the tune once I leave the workshop) or if that wasn't an option, then the choice to go to another workshop. To just go ahead and lock the maps without informing me at all isn't ethical if you ask me.

Like you say, as long as you get what you pay for, then you should be happy - and there's no way I got what I paid for, hence my gripe above :P