SAU Community

Tuners in Canberra

Hey guys,

I've just recieved some goodies in the mail (Power FC, SBC iD3, Adj. cam gear) and once i sort out a FMIC i'll be taking my Chaser somewhere to get the PFC tuned. I was wondering what workshops locally have a good reputation and are familiar with tuning the PFC.

Cheers :D

Personal experience from quite a few places, Ed seems to be the most competent with the PFC. He hasnt popped my engine (yet? :D), and has pulled good figures out of the car, on a quick and dirty tune.

If you want the -best- though, CRD in Sydney :D

Ok here we go... where not to go

Again, this is just the truth. I'm not slandering anyone here.

I got a quote from EVO to get some work done - nearly $4000 worth (Front mount, pump, regulator - the usual first power stuff), looked ok and I thought I'd get it done (before I found the forums).

When I picked my car up it had rubber in the rear gaurds. I was pretty suss of that, and wasn't offered an explination. Anyone got any ideas?

They told me it had 176 kws (flywheel) which I doubt, it was running WORSE than before.

I was charged $500 more than my quote, which was not explained.

Then, on the way home my boost controller blows (power down, no lights in the box). Im going WTF?? Get home, find there is no gromet for the wiring. Its of course shorted on the body.

Get it on a hoist, no hi flow cat that I paid for, although mine had been gutted. Was charged $400 for this. They were not happy that I found this, and claimed it was a hiflow. Only way I could prove it was to measure the inlets and outlets, which were 2 1/2 inch. After many calls they are sending me a part apparently, however I will not see any labour.

Oh, also left 3 boost leaks, Boost gauge stopped working after 2 weeks (again, no grommet)

It caused a rethink of the way I wanted to make power, however it wasn't a cheap lesson.

Play with care. Check any work anyone does.

Ok here we go... where not to go

Again, this is just the truth. I'm not slandering anyone here.  

I got a quote from EVO to get some work done - nearly $4000 worth (Front mount, pump, regulator - the usual first power stuff), looked ok and I thought I'd get it done (before I found the forums).  

When I picked my car up it had rubber in the rear gaurds. I was pretty suss of that, and wasn't offered an explination. Anyone got any ideas?

They told me it had 176 kws (flywheel) which I doubt, it was running WORSE than before.  

I was charged $500 more than my quote, which was not explained.  

Then, on the way home my boost controller blows (power down, no lights in the box). Im going WTF?? Get home, find there is no gromet for the wiring. Its of course shorted on the body.  

Get it on a hoist, no hi flow cat that I paid for, although mine had been gutted. Was charged $400 for this. They were not happy that I found this, and claimed it was a hiflow. Only way I could prove it was to measure the inlets and outlets, which were 2 1/2 inch. After many calls they are sending me a part apparently, however I will not see any labour.

Oh, also left 3 boost leaks, Boost gauge stopped working after 2 weeks (again, no grommet)

It caused a rethink of the way I wanted to make power, however it wasn't a cheap lesson.

Play with care. Check any work anyone does.

Oscar - FU(K that for a joke mate - if they DECAT your car, I'd be calling the EPA/ ACT motor registry and finding out who to report it to! it is something like a 50K fine for an organisation that does that sh1t.

Another option would be to call EVO up and say hey, you fix this sh1t, or I go to the EPA about you smashing the guts out of my cat!!!

Sounds to me like they had some 'fun' in your car - don't take it laying down!

As for the person seeking a good tuner - I've decide to take my GTR to Sydney, either CRD or HITMAN. see the forced induction threads.

Only one thing I can add: Integra Automotive. Ed' and Anthony are champions. If you can afford to go to Croydens,so be it. Locally,I.A. is it,as far as I'm concerned!

I have to say Heydon at HP Race Engines in Wagga just tuned my car and did a fantastic job. A mate of mine actually dropped his GTR off here last week for work, and my car is running just awesome. Prices are not bad either.

Itsa bit of a trip for you guys, but just letting you know.

I Took my car to Autotech in fyshwick next to Commenwealth bank

When i dropped my car of i thought it was running okay

First dyno pass ran 140rwkw

Picked it up less than an hour later and they'd managed to get an extra 25rwkw out of it.

i was cheering so i defiently recomend them

Not to sure how they'de go with a power fc but I asked them if they could fit and tune one on my car and they seemed very confiednet

Silver_r33

Because it’s a Chaser (o’sweet sweet chaser) take it to someone good!!!...

The Canberra workshops have plenty of expertise on Nissan’s-Holden’s-Fords but not Toyota’s…

And certainly not Chasers there’s like only three in Canberra and you’re the first to get some serious mod’s done!

Hop onto Toyota websites and ask the same question…

What ever you decision is Just don’t go Evo Motorsport see above and many- many other examples of then thrashing/poor workmanship on peoples cars.

Good luck!

oscar32,

maybe writing a letter to them explaining what you've found and what happened, asking for a complete and total fix of their stuff ups and gently mention Consumer Affairs. if they dont shit themselves after that, take it to CA and get them checked out.

silver_r33,

so yeah, avoid EVO.

if you want your toyota tuned, i'd also avoid going to neil bates, as strange as that may sound! he does basic mechanics and repairs only. which i think is just crap, considering what his workshop was actually built for.

I got the cat today, so yay, thats something. After last time there is no way my car will be in their workshop ever again. I wouldn't want them to fix it.

I put a thread in the NSW members area asking what people think, I like the letter idea though - mind you EVO made it very clear I was not getting any cash back.

Anyhow my advise to anyone is check any work you have done, look at things and ask questions!

Thanks for the replies guys, its really looking like Integra is the way to go since i'm really not that keen on a trip to Sydney to tune it. I may be heading to Melbourne sometime soon, so perhaps ICE would be a goer, but even then i'm a little reluctant to go interstate for a tune especially if something goes wrong.... i mean what happens if something *does* go wong? Its not like i can tow it to the workshop...

The crap thing is that, unlike Skylines, the Chasers havent been tuned that much, so reputable mechanics that know them aren't around. I think i will have to bite the bullet and go to someone who charges a premium but has a good reputation.

Theres only so much you can change on tuning... ignition timing, advance it until it starts detonating (if youre doing it in small increments, wont cause any damage) and then pull it back a few degrees for safety. Adjust air fuel ratios, so its close to stoich off boost, and nice mid-high 11's:1 on boost.

The Power FC is also virtually identical between all cars, so I wouldnt be too worried about car specific experience, but as to how confident they are around power fc's.

I Took my car to Autotech in fyshwick next to Commenwealth bank

When i dropped my car of i thought it was running okay

First dyno pass ran 140rwkw

Picked it up less than an hour later and they'd managed to get an extra 25rwkw out of it.

i was cheering so i defiently recomend them

Not to sure how they'de go with a power fc but I asked them if they could fit and tune one on my car and they seemed very confiednet

They tuned my PFC Pro and I am happy with the results.

Theres only so much you can change on tuning... ignition timing, advance it until it starts detonating (if youre doing it in small increments, wont cause any damage) and then pull it back a few degrees for safety. Adjust air fuel ratios, so its close to stoich off boost, and nice mid-high 11's:1 on boost.

The Power FC is also virtually identical between all cars, so I wouldnt be too worried about car specific experience, but as to how confident they are around power fc's.

I'd disagree on the tuning aspect - different engines respond differently to tuning techniques and parameters. I'd suggest you go to someone who has proven results with the Supras, as they would be able to produce good results on your car.

SK provided some useful advice about getting the tuner to spend time on the 500rpm increments, as well as the lower rev range.

Cars are expensive - look after it with a good tune :rofl:

When I was having the engineering tests out at the dragway for my engine conversion, there was a guy there from EVO with an RX7 S5. He was doing the brake test when I arrived, and his method of turning the car around at each end of the strip was to smoke the rears and flick it around. Very spectacular.... and then he told me that it was a customers car being engineered and having a new clutch fitted pre sale. It's O.K. if you try and break your own car doing stupid stuff , but I'm wondering how the life of the universal/CV joints in the driveline was affected by the abuse. And people wonder why I do all of my own servicing work...

The crap thing is that, unlike Skylines, the Chasers havent been tuned that much, so reputable mechanics that know them aren't around.  I think i will have to bite the bullet and go to someone who charges a premium but has a good reputation.

Chasers come with the 1JZ GTE don't they? That's the same engine as the twin turbo soarers. I'd say a few of those have been worked on, so it really shouldn't be a problem to find someone competent enough to tune it.