SAU Community

Wheels for Stagea?

StageaRS4

Hi,

I'm no expert on the matter, but I think a +42 offset might be a little too much unless your rims are less than 7" wide. I just put 18"x8" rims with a +35 offset on mine. This seems to be ideal, as they sit dead level with the guards and also leave enough room behind them for a 4-pot brake calliper upgrade :drooling:

I hope this helps.

Cheers ..... Craig :ddd:

Hi,

I'm no expert on the matter, but I think a +42 offset might be a little too much unless your rims are less than 7" wide. I just put 18"x8" rims with a +35 offset on mine. This seems to be ideal, as they sit dead level with the guards and also leave enough room behind them for a 4-pot brake calliper upgrade  :drooling:  

I hope this helps.

Cheers ..... Craig  :ddd:

Craig,

Is there any chance of seeing a picture with the 18's fitted? By the by - what tyres are you running?

Cheers,

Marc

Craig,

Is there any chance of seeing a picture with the 18's fitted? By the by - what tyres are you running?

Cheers,

Marc

Marc,

I don't have any pics at the moment, but I could may be take some over the weekend and forward them to you if you want to leave your email.

Rims are 18"x8" Inox1 by Koya Wheels. Tyres are 235/40/18 Falken Ziex 326 all around.

Cheers ..... Craig

Marc,

I don't have any pics at the moment, but I could may be take some over the weekend and forward them to you if you want to leave your email.

Rims are 18"x8" Inox1 by Koya Wheels. Tyres are 235/40/18 Falken Ziex 326 all around.

Cheers ..... Craig

17" look better....

Marc,

Cheers ..... Craig

Craig,

Thanks for the offer, there is no rush - next time you have the camera out will do.

E-mail is [email protected]

Regards,

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone know if you can put the same 17inch wheels on a stagea as the R34 skyline has? ie I have 255/45/ R17 on the back, and 225/45 r17 on the front of my R34, but don't know what the offset of the rims actually is...

does anyone know if you can put the same 17inch wheels on a stagea as the R34 skyline has? ie I have 255/45/ R17 on the back, and 225/45 r17 on the front of my R34, but don't know what the offset of the rims actually is...

Stagea 4wd (like GTR's) doesn't like different diameter tyres (width is irrelevant) front and rear.:D

Stagea 4wd (like GTR's) doesn't like different diameter tyres (width is irrelevant)  front and rear.:D

OK, but that wasn't my main question - will they take the same 17inch rims as were standard on the r34 (ie offset ok?)?

Stagea 4wd (like GTR's) doesn't like different diameter tyres (width is irrelevant)  front and rear.:D

Like SK said ..... you need to try and keep the aspect ratio of your rims and tyres the same all around. I have just looked into all this myself and I think you might find that the difference in the width of your front and rear tyres, will also mean that the actual diameter of your front and rear wheels will be different. I'm not sure what the formula is that they use to work this out, but if you call into any tyre place and ask, they will be able to tell you..... but this is how you get combinations, such as 225/50/17 on the front and 255/45/17 on the rear - because although the tyres are different sizes (width and profiles), the difference in the profiles actually means that they retain the same aspect ratio.

OK, but that wasn't my main question - will they take the same 17inch rims as were standard on the r34 (ie offset ok?)?

Ian,

I'm not sure what the standard offset is on the R34 rims. Unless somebody else can tell us, you would have to check it yourself. It should be stamped on the inside of the rim - normally on the hub. As long as the offset is around the +30 to +35 mark, then you should be okay - although my tyres are 235s all around and my rims are 18's with a +35 offset, I don't think I could have gone much wider than that with the tyres, without them protruding beyond the guards.

Standard R34 GTT rims fit on Stageas, no problems:cheers:

Ian,

The tyre combination you have on your R34 would not be recommended for the STAG. A 255/45R17 has a dia of 661mm, whereas the 225/45R17 has a dia of 634mm. Not ideal for an AWD vehicle. You would need to fit 255/40R17 which has a dia of 636mm.

Regards,

Marc2

Standard R34 GTT rims fit on Stageas, no problems:cheers:

Thanks. And I understand the size differences if I get the four wheel drive version (the 'if' is because while the 4 wheel drive means more power to the road without slipping, it also means extra weight!! In the dry, with the 255/45 tires on the back of my r34 gtt, I don't get wheel spin anyway.. :-))

Thinking of getting a stagea for the wife, to match my r34 :-)

Ian

This offset stuff is really confusing to my poor brain.

Found a set of 18 x 8.5 F (+40) and 18 x 9.5 R (+45)

I've just been told by several import tune/wheel guys that have done several skylines and stags over here that i should be able to get the 9 1/2 " rears with a +45 offset on the rear "no problems". It dont make sense to me... R34 GTR rims fit at 18 x 9 (+40)... and with 9.5" the +44 sounds right to compensate for the extra 1/2 an inch... so how come posted above someone has said for +42 offset youd need a less than 7" wide rim???

brainstrain - hate feeling stoopid :)

haha - answered my own query again - seem to be posting before I research a bit lately - sorry.

Got a PM back from j-plus (Jeff) with some info you may all be interested in ... Jeff is a SAU sponsor and importer of Jap rims etc - so I asked him for some info about whether the rim widths I posted above would fit - and got back some useful info on offsets for the wider potentials of rims on Stageas...

BNR34 wheels are 18 x 9 (+30).

Not 100% on the Stagea requirements for aftermarket wheels, but I'll assume because they share so much in common with the R33, fitments required will be almost the same.

Therefore, the wheels you have in mind (18x9.5 +45 rear and 18x8.5 +40 front)won't be the best fit, and the fronts won't clear the brakes.

I would be looking for something like:

F: 18 x 8/8.5 (+32)

R: 18 x 9/9.5 (+35)

Try not to go much higher than +35 for the fronts and high +30's on the rear. Feel free to run anything by me for a second opinion before you buy.

Kind Regards,

Jeff.

Just as a follow up - although BNR34 rims are 9" wide +30 offset they do fit ok on the front... but Jeff is right that the ideal for a range of reasons (handling/wear/etc) would be 8.5" max... but ey - Ill be getting them eventually anyway! :devil:

Also - picked up another useful bit of info... if you are buying rims with the idea to ever be able to put 265 width tyres on - the rims need to be at least 8.5" wide - cant fit 265s to 8" or less wide rims.

Also another tidbit most people would know but Ill post it anyway... the correct tyre combination for 18" rims to keep same rolling diametre and thereby keep Attessa happy when you do want more rubber at the rear is:

265/35R18 at rear = rolling daimatre of 643mm

235/40R18 at front = rolling diametre of 645mm

:D

Adam

haha - answered my own query again - seem to be posting before I research a bit lately - sorry.

Got a PM back from j-plus (Jeff) with some info you may all be interested in ... Jeff is a SAU sponsor and importer of Jap rims etc - so I asked him for some info about whether the rim widths I posted above would fit - and got back some useful info on offsets for the wider potentials of rims on Stageas...

Just as a follow up - although BNR34 rims are 9" wide +30 offset they do fit ok on the front... but Jeff is right that the ideal for a range of reasons (handling/wear/etc) would be 8.5" max... but ey - Ill be getting them eventually anyway! :)

Also - picked up another useful bit of info... if you are buying rims with the idea to ever be able to put 265 width tyres on - the rims need to be at least 8.5" wide - cant fit 265s to 8" or less wide rims.

Also another tidbit most people would know but Ill post it anyway... the correct tyre combination for 18" rims to keep same rolling diametre and thereby keep Attessa happy when you do want more rubber at the rear is:

265/35R18 at rear = rolling daimatre of 643mm

235/40R18 at front = rolling diametre of 645mm

:rolleyes:  

Adam

Adam,

Some info for you and other readers of this string.

I have extracted some info on tyre and rim sizes from the Bible ( The Tyre and Rim Association of Australia - Standards Manual 2004), which may assist.

TYRE SIZE... APPROVED RIM SIZES(inches)

235/40R18... 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5

245/40R18... 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5

255/40R18... 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10

265/40R18... 9, 9.5, 10, 10.5

225/35R18... 7.5, 8, 8.5, 9

235/35R18... 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5

245/35R18... 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5

255/35R18... 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10

265/35R18... 9, 9.5, 10, 10.5

I am probably repeating info which has already been posted - but most states/territories will allow up to +/- 15mm variation to overall diameter in the tyre/rim combination and will allow a maximum of 25mm in track width.

The tricky part is that the fitment may well be legal but to satisfy your insurance company is another issue altogether.

Hope this info is helpful to some readers.

Regards,

Marc2