SAU Community

Water in boot

Bobby^

I think there is.. but if i were you i'd just do yourself a favour (and the car) and drill where the water appears to be pooling.. rather than find out later on that its rusted through. A small drill hole can make a huge difference, and won't destroy any part of the car.

I've killed rust dead in other cars just by doing that. drill hole, rust killer, and never to be rusted ever again.

You can try and find the source also, although that can be diffiult. Usually in an R33 it slides down into just near the hinges and pools there. eventually to slide down and into the boot later on.

I was getting the same water in the boot problem.

It turned out that some how the washer hose for the rear screen wiper had come off and evertime I wanted to wash the rear screen it was pumping the water straight into the boot.

But if your rear washer is working ok, ie spraying onto the rear screen that won't be the cause of your problem.

WTF????Do yourself a favour and dont drill any holes!!!!!!!!!I bet the waterwill be coming in from the taillights.....get a garden hose and open the bootlid take the inner taillight boot trim off then run the water at the front near rear windscreen....you will see the water run down into the tail light bezzels and look into the boot and you will see it coming into the boot

• 6 years later...

Bit of a thread dig....

but after all this rain we've had lately I just notice the swimming pool that was once my boot. Ripped out all the lining and and took out the drain plugs. Once it was all dry I closed the boot lid and soaked around the tail lights with the garden hose then opened it up to see where it was coming from.

Culprit was the seal around the drivers side tail light assembly,

:thanks:

Mike.

I'm going to remove and clean the assembly around the bodywork and re-seal it with something that remains soft an tacky like what was use at the factory. I have a panel beater mate, so I'll take over his place, he'll have something for it. Silicon adhesive might be bitch if you need to remove the light later on.

Well getting the tail light assembly out was the difficult part, unscrewed the nuts but left them still attached to the studs so I could apply force with a socket driver. It took quite a bit of effort to break the seal from the old caulking compound, but once started the rest soon followed. Cleaned the old stuff off with a credit card and mineral turps. Then reapplied new sealant (Selley's D-Mastic) to the tail light assembly and also applied a bead to the body work, and screwed it all together, took less than an hour.

"Dynagrip Weatherstrip And Trim Adhesive"

* Black flexible adhesive

* Waterproof

* Heat resistant

* Adheres to metal, rubber, wood, leather, rigid PVC, etc

I bought mine from Better Brakes

I used it to restick door and window mouldings