SAU Community

catalic converter

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If 265 rwkw is "big hp", then our previous experience with cats (eg; the R34GTT has a hi flow 3.25") has shown that properly tuned (not rich as) means no deterioration for 25,000k's so far.  Obviously it only runs on premium unleaded (Optimax mostly), no octane boosters or Avgas.  It still makes the same power and it's been a bit over 2 years.  I see no reason why the Magic 4" would be any different.

On poorly tuned (especially rich) cars I have seen deterioration in the cat performance after as litttle as 10,000k's of city driving.  I have that found a long hard run (5 hours or more) seems to cleans up the cat, as it burns off some of the over rich contaminents.  This doesn't work for Avgas (or other leaded fuels) of course, the lead doesn't burn off.

:spank:

PS; I will come back to this thread when the car with the Magic 4" has done a few more k's.

So when i run 104 octane sunocorp fuel at around 10 litres to a tank for track days the cat wont like it too much?

they are bigger, 4"

a hi-flo 3" cat will restrict you, end of story.

Best bet if you CBF paying for a 4" CAT that might not last long anyhow...

just replace it with a 3" straight pipe, and put the surrounds over it.

looks like a cat, but doenst have the nasty power robbing drawback :spank:

guess its the 4" or the pipe then, what about the sensor on the standard cat?...

is it a temp or an oxygeon sensor and is that why the engine would run rich if it where gutted?

ill try the pipe trick and test it but does that mean i fit the sensor to the peice of pipe?... how important is the sensor?

How do you get lead in your exhaust emmisions by removing the cat?

I was refering to the cat being used to remove emissions that weren't present with leaded fuel. leaded cars don't have cat. A few years ago Britain was considering going back to leaded fuel because of cat failures (and people like you) releasing carciogens into atmosphere.

guess its the 4" or the pipe then, what about the sensor on the standard cat?...

is it a temp or an oxygeon sensor and is that why the engine would run rich if it where gutted?

ill try the pipe trick and test it but does that mean i fit the sensor to the peice of pipe?... how important is the sensor?

i think its just a temp sensor.

basically flashes a light in the R33 is the CAT gets too hot, only happens if its in bad condition i think.

Mine isnt connected, neither probably 100's of others.

no problems

I was refering to the cat being used to remove emissions that weren't present with leaded fuel. leaded cars don't have cat. A few years ago Britain was considering going back to leaded fuel because of cat failures (and people like you) releasing carciogens into atmosphere.

I thought you were talking complete bollocks, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt last time, but your last post is completely wrong!

Leaded fuels contained far more carcinogens than unleaded fuel. Leaded fuel exhaust emmisions contain carbon monoxide and unburt hydrocarbons. So you're wrong saying the cat removes pollutants not present in leaded fuel.

A catalytic convertor removes carbon monoxide and unburt hydrocarbons, converting them to carbon dioxide and water.

The British goverment NEVER considered going back to leaded fuels. Leaded fuels pollute the atmosphere and are much more harmful than unleaded fuels.

My car without cat passes all current emissions tests, and so is perfectly legal in Britain.

It was brought to my attention that using a Toyota Landcruiser Cat is a really inexpsensive way to replace your CAT. Apparently they are around $180 bucks and flow very well. I would like to see a bench test before making a decision though.

Anyone else heard of this suggestion?

The cat is there for a reason.

Carbon monoxide is dangerous. Dangerous to you, and anyone following you.. Sure you don't care because you're in the cabin but it's also bad for the planet.. (you know, the one you live on, with the polar ice caps melting and the ozone layer hole and stuff).

Good luck.

yes, but cats only have a finite lifespan, their ability to catalyse eventaully wears out. The workshop manual i have infront of me suggest replacing it every two years. so for example would the cat in either of my cars, both ~ 15 years old actually be doing anything at all other than acting as a restriction in my exhaust system? i doubt it

not that i am disagreeing with you, ideally id love to have the money to fork out for two magic cats, im just saying would gutting a worn out cat really be damaging the enviroment any more than having it in place?

and no i dont intend on gutting my cat

I can't believe so many people don't care about the effects of gutting cats. I guess this attitude is why our planet is going to shit so quickly.

:werd:

Saying they are useless because their effeciency decreases over time is hardly a justification either. Nobody expects you to replace a cat every two years like some service nazi, but spending a couple of hundred every what, five years, is hardly going to break the bank?

LW.

well if your half hearted and only doing it every 5 years then your a hypocrite

you should do it 2 years as th manual says.

There is more trouble coming from coal power plants than a few cars not using a cat converter. Rally against that and promote nuclear power if your a greenie

well if your half hearted and only doing it every 5 years then your a hypocrite

you should do it 2 years as th manual says.

Umm, no, I think it can be argued that a manual produced for a Nissan specific cat that was produced 15 years ago doesn't necessarily have much relevance to a high performance, aftermarket, newer designed cat.

Even if it looses some effeciency, its better than running no cat at all.

LW.

it cant be argued that they degrade

have your partents changed the cat in thier cars in all the years they have had them?

come on. there are far bigger problems out there.

As for the environment, look at how many other countries dont require a cat convertor.

Cant be all bad can it if other countries that are even under the UN agreement etc dont require em.

And thats because they dont have dirty industrie or coal power plants that burn black coal

millions of cars without cats wouldnt make as much crap as a coal power plant

It can't? Funny, I thought that was the issue. Are you saying that after two years the cats just decide to become completely ineffective? Who woudda thought :D

What do my parents have to do with anything? I am hardly responsible for what they do or don't do on their cars. For the record, my mother runs two diesel cars which are dealer serviced: if its on the dealer's service sheet, it gets done.

Wow, no UN agreement, what a suprise: could it be because particular countries have an interest in blocking environmental protections? Surely not.

If you want to talk about standards, lets talk about the Euro-spec standards given that its generally acknowledged that they lead the world in terms of reducing emissions.

LW.

newho, removing or gutting the cat isn't really worth it. A few extra killowhatts, big deal, when you take into consideration all the fines you can get and all the crap you're putting into the atmosphere.

There was a hi-flow cat advertised in HPI ages ago. I THINK Just Jap in kirrawee (sydney) might sell them, im not too sure. I'm fairly certain they come in both 3" and 4"