SAU Community

New battery to run 2 amps

Knat

Hey Guys,

Will be putting a new system in my R33 pretty soon and i'm not sure if my battery will be up to scratch. I'm still running the original Japanese battery, which appears it may be on its way out after spending months sitting doing nothing. It's ok and the car starts, but as I said, its the original... :uh-huh:

I'll be adding 2 amps to my system. a Clarion 400W and a Sony 222W.

I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on whether I should change my battery and if so, what type/brand of battery should I use to effectively run this system?

My stock battery seems to go fine running two amps, even when the volume is way up and I have headlights on.

If you have any doubts, install a capacitor (about $150-$300) for your amps.

But I reckon you'll be fine. I'd only change if you're not happy with the results...

Blitz33

-I think the oddyssey 1000 battery put out about 380 CCA.

They are a good battery just dont let them go flat, ie rarely run your system without the engine runing, as they die when they are drained of most of there power. They dont behave like a normal lead acid battery.

That oddyssey sounds like a monster battery, but also a monster price too...

I reckon any standard heavy duty battery of the right rating will do the trick... people run 2 amps + much more off the one battery with no probs.

Amps draw less and less power these days as well to output the same amount of wattage. More efficient components.

Guest mooks66

those amps wouldnt be pulling too much electrical draw from your system. you should be fine

just get a nice healthy 4guage power for red and black

and also upgrade your battery's ground to 4guage and also your alternator wiring to 4guage and the stocker batter will cope a heck of a lot better.

that done, your set to go

4guage into a distribution block and then 2x8 guage to the amps and your all done.

good luck

in any serious sretu i wouldnt go past and OPTIMA yellowtop deep cycle battery

950CCA 95A regular cycle and its a 95AH cell

where as the highest oddesey has to offer is a 65ah cell and the standard battery in skilines id a 45ah cell

if doing a big install the ah rating is more iportant than the CCA

and a high regular cycle can only help things along

dont forget a 100w RMS X2 amp will draw about 300W - 400W from your battery which works out to be about 30 A

im running 600w worth of amp and it draws almost 1000w from my electrical system

im using and optima yellow top and i get no dimming of the lights with all healights on

bottom line is the bigger the battery the better

Originally posted by MYGTST

in any serious sretu i wouldnt go past and OPTIMA yellowtop  deep cycle battery

950CCA  95A regular cycle and its a 95AH cell

where as the highest oddesey has to offer is a 65ah cell and the standard battery in skilines id a 45ah cell

if doing a big install the ah rating is more iportant than the CCA

and a high regular cycle can only help things along

dont forget a 100w RMS X2 amp will draw about 300W - 400W from your battery which works out to be about 30 A

im running 600w worth of amp and it draws almost 1000w from my electrical system

im using and optima yellow top and i get no dimming of the lights with all healights on

bottom line is the bigger the battery the better

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned alternators at all in this discussion.

Originally posted by MYGTST

How did you go fitting the Optima in the Skyline?

I am looking at a new battery for my 33 GTR as the factory one is tiny and rooted. I haven't taken all the bracing out yet so haven't sized up what I've got to work with but the options for the battery seem very limited by the size of battery you can fit in.

At the moment I am thinking of goind with the Odyssey 1000, but would much prefer the Optima/Exide if at all possible.

while you are putting a new battery in put some of that vibration insulation stuff in the boot 2, or else your doof doof system is gonna rattle the whole boot!

there is plenty of room in the back of the R33 GTR for a replacement battery, i am running the odyssey 1000 in mine, just had to make up a custom bracket to hold it down, and a little L bracket to make sure the battery doesn't move.. there is plenty of height and width available..

i got my yellow top straight into where the factory battery was.

just slides in there nicely.

the positive was a little short to the terminal by about 3cm's.

top battery. recommend the money if your gonna go a few amps in the back..