SAU Community

APEXI & K&N Air filters

Robo

Hi Guys,

Quick question,

I'm just about to buy either an K&N air filter or an Apexi air filter(second hand) for $150 bucks and $250 (respectivelty), the K&N doesn't have the adaptor kit to suit the gts-t R33.

I have attached a pic of the K&N.

Anybody know how much this piece would be and where I can get it from? (Adaptor)

Or

I might buy the Apexi Air filter for $250 (second hand),

Firstly does any one have any photo's of what it looks like - Apexi in the engine bay (or out), this one comes with the adaption kit but is it worth $250 bucks???

Thanks for your help.

Rob

the apexi one looks similiar to that k&n one expect it's got red in it.

from what i've read and heard the apexi is the way to go. it is meant to have the best performance increase out of all the filters on the market.

i will be looking to get and apexi one within the next couple of weeks. does anybody know where you can buy these with the adaptor kits?

Apexi have the best airflow (hp increase) and Filtration over all the well know filters ive seen including K&N

I like K&N but Apexi is better quality filter just dont buy HKS if u want your motor to last spend the bit more :cheers:

I got an Apexi Power intake kit for my GTR, and i wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to everyone.. The instructions (although in japanese, thankgod for pictures) are easy to follow and it comes with all required brackets and moulded steel adaptors.. Much much better than my previous experiences with australian made air filters in which you have to make your own brackets etc..

took me about 1hr to fit, which included pulling the factory box out, working out instructions and hooking it all up (mind you i had to deal with 2 pods though the fit and brackets where spot on!)

Also realise that for any actual improvement you may want to build a cold air induction box as well, to keep the hot air out from the engine bay. i havn't gotten around to that yet, and you can significantly feel the loss of power and response when the engine bay gets hot.. the turbo sounds awesome though and it makes the stock BOV's louder too (bonus! :-)

so make sure you get all the included adaptors and instructions...

For $137 you can get a brand new K&N pod filter and the required bracket for $50. I just bought and installed mine last week. For less than $200 I got the bracket and a brand new filter so IMHO you shouldn't buy second hand ones for that price.

pod1.jpg

I didn't notice any power drop or increase. I'd say the engine breathes much easier so is more responsive but without the factory cold air intake it's probably sucking hot air in so the power loss is offsetting any increase in responsiveness.

I've noticed the K&N revs out more freely than the restrictive

stock air box..

I got mine for $146 including bracket at American Auto Spares

Anything is better than the stock air box.... :devil2:

the induction noise....

the minute blow off noise u get...

ehaheah as u can see i'm obsessed.... cause thats the only

mod i got!!! :hellpisse

Thanks for your replys.

Hey Macka,

how long does it take (roughly) to order and have it shipped to Sydney??? (sounds good)

XrSiSt,

Does that shop you mentioned (American Auto's I think) sell the bracket to attach the K&N to the AFM sell them seperately??

If so how much and where is the shop?

Yeah they do sell it seperately, they charged me only $30 but I

bought the air filter also so i'm not sure how much they go for

individually.

The majority of car accessory shops sell them.

American Auto Spares is in Beverly Hills which may be a bit far

for you, so it may be just worth paying a bit more somewhere

else thats more local.

This is how mine looks

:burnout:

Help

Does anyone know the size the adaptor needs to be to fit in front of AFM (for a pod filter)???

Is it 80mm (same as an 300zx)???

Cheers

Takakaira is pretty good with delivery 5 days to 3 weeks depending on availibility of parts..

Yes im sure the APEXI filter comes with the brackets it says that on the site check it out

Anyone want to buy my HKS Powerflow pod for R33 with brackets? The filter itself is in good nik.

It was on the car when i bought it and ive had the car for 2 months $100 cheap cheap :burnout:

Im in perth

I have the same filter as Robo and GrimGTST

there rated to flow enough air for 260hp so with 215hp at the wheels i'm pretty close to that 260 at the flywheel. the bigger K&N want fit in there :P

What power is the apexi suppose to be good for? and do u need a special oil like the K&N to clean it?

yeh K&N and Apexi are the best two pod filters you can buy

K&N's are legal, not sure about apexi, if that makes any difference to your choice.

i have a K&N and a mate has an Apexi power one and they both seem very similar in noise and performance increase, just remember to take advantage of a pod filter you have to get cold air to it, so remember that when installing it etc cos you will in the end either enclose it or run a pipe from underneath it etc.