SAU Community

Seriously bad negative camber help SK

ICE12

OK ppl while I was having the trannie valve upgrade done my mech told me that my rear tyres were seriously in need of replacement. The tread was fine on the outside and the middle but the innner edge was past the metal and into the last parts of the canvis and a bit like someone had got a spoon and gouged it out (It hasn't been wearing on anything). I first thought that maybe I had been diddled a set of tyres when I bought it about 8mths ago, but I don't think so as i got it all checked out by an independant mech.

The fronts were on their way as well. The fellow who did the wheel alignment, after buying a full set of Goodyear F1 D3's (to much money for 18's $385 a tyre) said that it must the the rear camber (as after a while of having the tyre rotated they went bad) as it was about -2.6 deg on both sides. As we didn't have any setting in the computer he has set them at -2 deg and this was as far as it could be adjusted.

SK is this OK or should I be looking at getting some camber bushes from whiteline. do you have any specs as to the alignment for all four corners. Anyone else experienced anything simular.

Cheers ICE

Is you car lowered?

Normally if it is not lowed you should be able to get the rear camber adjusted right with the stock adjusters but if it is lowered you may need to get some Whiteline offset bushes they allow +/- 0.75 deg more adjustment than stock and you can use two kits to give you +/- 1.5 deg extra adjustment.

You should be aiming for 0.5 degree negative camber on the back

Burns covered it pretty well. I aim for around 0.5 mm negative camber on the rear and around 1 degree negative on the front. It depends on how much weight you carry, since mine spends some time with a load on, I have set the rear it at 0.25 degrees negative. That was using the standard adjuster set for the minimum negative ie; no need for Whiteline offset polyurethane bushes.

Since you have already set the standard adjusters at their lowest negative setting and still have 2 degrees, then one set of rear camber bushes won't be enough. I suspect that you will need 2 sets, one for the inner upper and one for the outer upper. The Stagea Suspension thread has some relevant pictures.

If the rear has that much neg camber, then the height must be low enough for the front to need checking as well. If you do need front camber adjusters, I STRONGLY suggest that you get a set of caster bushes at the same time. Adding a couple of degrees of postitive caster make a huge difference to the turn in and straight line stability, plus it adds a little weight/feeling to the steering.

:P

I don't think it has been lowered at all and the fellow says that the fronts are fine. SK sorry for the nil knowledge and you may have said it before, can you give me some specs for standard and some specs for it with the adjusters fitted so that I can print it and take it to him for checking again as I don't wish for the new ones to end like the old.

Cheer ICE

I don't  think it has been lowered at all and the fellow says that the fronts are fine.  SK sorry for the nil knowledge and you may have said it before, can you give me some specs for standard and some specs for it with the adjusters fitted so that I can print it and take it to him for checking again as I don't wish for the new ones to end like the old.

Cheer ICE

Standard camber is around 0.25 to 0.5 negative on the rear and 0 to 0.25 negative on the front. As previously posted, I would aim for a bit more on the front, up to 1 degree negative is good. Go for as much caster as you can possibly get on the front, being 4wd you can't get enough adjustment. Toe is zero on the front and a little toe in, say 1mm each side on the rear.

:rofl:

• 8 months later...

Ok, Ive got some serious rear camber issues also!

Here is my wheel alignment

Front

L R

Camber -0.58 -0.72

Caster 5.34 5.32

Toe 0 0

Rear

Camber -1.68 -1.05

Toe -2.1mm -2.4mm

Thrust angle 0.01 degrees

Also, they said they couldnt fit the rear camber kit KCA347. This would have helped me but they said something along these lines

- To fit the rear camber kit they would have to remove the rear axle stub to push out the std bushes

- The bushes were in a metal sleeve, which was in the rear subframe.

I am really confused about this... So ill take the car to another place.

Anyway, it was 180 bucks to fit the caster/camber at the front and align everything.

Interesting enough, my rear of the car is at 350-360mm, as seen in my wheels thread its not all that low!