• 5 months later...
Hi all

Recently have a problem with the car

When the car is idle, it would sometimes shudder/shake for about 1/2 second

This can occur randomly at idle and makes no sounds

Any suggestions at what it could be ?

Thanks

Eric

Got the same problem with my 34 GTT. It only seem to show when car is warmed up. When the oil temperture pass 90 degree and sitting idle the random shake and you can hear spluttering sound from the exhaust.

have had this shutter too for about 2.5years

only appears when the engine is warm, and is worse when the engine is hot

...but doesn't seem to be so bad when its a cold day

tried to change:

- afm

- spark plugs

- all coils

- ignitor

- fuel filter

- tried fiddling with wires to see if its an electrical problem - no luck

- had injectors cleaned about a year and a half ago

also tried cleaning IAC, fiddling with throttle switch, and cleaning the intake manifold with some carby cleaner all with no luck

if you find what it is, then i will have sex with a monkey

Waz.

have had this shutter too for about 2.5years

only appears when the engine is warm, and is worse when the engine is hot

...but doesn't seem to be so bad when its a cold day

tried to change:

- spark plugs

- all coils

Waz.

hmm. bugger. so changing the coil didn't fix the problem. I was seriously thinking of picking up a 6 pack splitfire coil n replace them all and hoping for problem solved. But I guess I will have to look else where.

Anyone else got the same problem and had it sort it out?

Does anyone use one of those "Electronic Idling Stabilisers"? I have this problem too but I thought everyone has this problem. (only on startup and only when the engine's already hot)

Mine has started doing it in the last week or two... Just a quick shudder and a gurgle from the stock exhaust system. Only when warm.

Interesting! I thought I was due for new spark plugs, cause it sounds like an occasional miss.

Do 34's have the ignitor in the ECU or engine bay?

But if its engine mount lose, shouldn't it do it all the time not just when Engine is warm up?

not necessarily.. it will just be more obvious when at idle.. I know mine went a bit smoother at idle after tightening them.

Hmm.. and it is the same on my series 2 R33.. Wondering if it is getting too hot where it is and not igniting properly sometimes? Anyone with a series 1 R33 experiencing the idle shudder?

Also, Ed... does that free ipod thing actually work? I've seen the same scheme for car head units. =-]

Hmm.. and it is the same on my series 2 R33.. Wondering if it is getting too hot where it is and not igniting properly sometimes? Anyone with a series 1 R33 experiencing the idle shudder?

Also, Ed... does that free ipod thing actually work? I've seen the same scheme for car head units. =-]

I have an R33 S1 and it's also affecting me. It only used to happen a poofteenth before I got my atmo BOV and now it does it pretty hardcore. Unless I leave it for 4 hours between drives. If I warm up the car for 5 mins in the morning I'm fine. It's when I stop and start the car (like doing grocery shopping or something) that it happens most

has anyone used the the eletronic idle stabiliser?

Clicky

Does it work?

Someone mentioned that another result of shutter is also loss fuel economy... Will this also fix that ? I

I was going to have a guess and say; since my O2 sensor doesn't appear to be working properly, and the ECU is running richer at idle/low revs, that possibly it is backfiring on too much fuel?

I hope this is not just an uneducated guess, and i'll soon see when my NGK O2 sensor arrives.

Incidentally, i'm also running an aftermarket BOV. How's your fuel economy, Kennedy?

I was going to have a guess and say; since my O2 sensor doesn't appear to be working properly, and the ECU is running richer at idle/low revs, that possibly it is backfiring on too much fuel?

I hope this is not just an uneducated guess, and i'll soon see when my NGK O2 sensor arrives.

Incidentally, i'm also running an aftermarket BOV. How's your fuel economy, Kennedy?

Well my fuel gauge doesn't work so I can't be sure. (Gotta fix that). I fill up every 200KM anyway coz I believe cars in general run more efficiently on a full tank. By my rough calculations...since the BOV intall by I can only get about 400KM rather than 450KM to a tank. It is a 65L tank isn't it?