SAU Community

R33: Aerial Removal

SKYWKR

just thought id add my 2 cents to the possible avenues for people to go down.

my aerial stopped working a few weeks ago. Was stuck up all the time. everytime i turned the car on/off i could hear the motor whirring away but nothing happened. all i did was unscrew the chrome surround, pull the aerial fully out (not seperate it from the motor gear though) and then just cleaned off the grime and shit, sprayed each join in the aerial and the motor gear with wd40 and bam its fixed, works fine.

just a possible course of action to take before people go pulling out their jack and then disconnecting and pulling out the aerial motor.

Here is a picture for the people who may be confused or unsure about the location of the aerial motor. The part i have circled is where the motor is located against the panel in the boot. (left hand side obviously) 2 screws are holding it in, get your arm in behind the panel (easy to get to, just remove the jack out of its holder like i have in the pic)

because the wiring plug is on the other side of the motor to where you can get your arm in, it makes it hard to get to the plug, so unscrewing the bolts inside the circle i drew, plus unscrewing the chrome surround around the aerial on the outside of the car means you can spin the motor around and easily disconnect it. then simply spin it back around, put the screws back in, do up the chrome surround on the outside and your done.

post-9186-1214053725_thumb.jpg

my aerial stopped working again, so i cracked the shits and forced the aerial down and then disconnected the motor. probably not the healthiest thing to do to the aerial and motor, but im over it. The aerial has to be down to be able to move the motor around or pull it out if you so desire.

id say the motor and the gear had become misaligned and because i never ever use the radio anyway i simply couldnt be bothered pulling it fully out to clean it up and fix it up.

But like i said before, a bit of wd40 will do wonders, so if you still want it to go up and down, give that a go before you give up the ghost and disconnect it altogether and/or pull it out. Even if you plan on forcing the aerial down like i did, go over the aerial and the motor with wd40 anyway, it will require less force to push it down then.

Really really easy problem to fix, takes just a matter of minutes. But for anyone that reads this thread and is still confused i hope this helps.

i had the same problem when i got my car from japan as aomeone had kindly snapped the aerial, i bought an after market unit for £20 and it fits straight in. I've had a few of these now as i have a veilside spoiler and the arial runs through a hole in it and people keep opening my boot while the aerial is up. Might try to get it to stay down and see if that works.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

i found some grey plug next to the areil an i pulled it out an then my car wouldnt idle properly an kept stalling an when i put the plug back in it went back to normal... good thing i didnt screw around with it ^.-.... so ummm yea.... i do neeed some very specific instructions on how to get the succer out... the ariel that is....

()()

(00)

(_(")(") . . . BUNNY~!!!

Edited by Sneakyazn

• 7 years later...

Ok  so I've replaced 3 units on my R33....one the nylon toothed cable snapped so not fixable and one the inside of the motor would spin for a short time then stop the inside of the motor and  brushes were covered in crap (worked after cleanup)

Just unbolt the 2 bolts feel around the back and pull the power plug (it also has a small plastic clip holding the cable tight pull that  from the metal bracket attached to the unit) and pull the antenna to radio plug it'is at 45 degrees and just pulls straight out.

Spin off the chrome ring at the top on the antenna or just pop it off with a screwdriver the threads are usually stuffed.

With a lot of wiggling you should get it out by pulling it antenna first out towards the taillight.

There is a water drain tube at the bottom of the unit make sure it goes out the hole in the bottom of the well or you will rust out your car.