SAU Community

FD RX7 or Mitsubishi EVO VI

187 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The RX7 is the best looking Jap car thats been on the market in the last 20 years!! It's sleek, sexy and cool (like everything you want in a woman).

However, it sucks petrol like it was free, has a fragile engine when pushed hard and makes more noise than a mother in law on her rags (everything you don't want in a woman).

The Evo isn't the best looking car on the block, is simple on the inside and is a dime a dozen when you look out there with all the Lancer mockups (Girl next door syndrome).

It however can go pretty damn fast, is pretty economical compared to the RX7 and is still considered as one of the best handling cars in the World.

Want looks and pain, go the RX7. Want economy and handling, go the Evo.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're comparing the cars as complete stockers, the EVO is a much better all round performance car.

If you're the type that likes to modify your car though, then that is a different story altogether.

Rotary's respond very well to even the most minor modifications.

Not to say the EVO won't respond well to mod's but if you compare dollar for dollar, you will get much better gains from a rotor.

If you want a car that sticks to the road like glue, then a modified RX7 is definately not your car. the EVO wins here hands down.

The RX7 is strictly a 2 seater where the EVO can comfortably seat 5 adults.

As WRXKILLA said, you really need to test drive both cars before you make a decision.

* fuel consumption is, to a certain degree, a hangover (stigma) carried over from earlier rotaries. In fact, driver magazine (japan), found the r32 GTR to have marginally worse fuel consumption. For a real world example, my FD (with nearly all the bolt-ons) isn't _that_ much worse than my 98 forester (stock 184kw ej20t, 1380kg, exhaust/filter). I can't imagine the evo vs fd would be that much of a big deal.

* anyone here who thinks an rx7 is a compromised handling car, or would be left for dead by an evo, is talking out there arse. Please try driving each car before you type. The only thing that comes close to the rx7, in terms of japanese rwd cars, is the NSX (and it's in another universe, in terms of price bracket).

* the top spec series 8 cars are rated at 280ps (thought to be closer to 300ps). Among the changes from s6 = different turbos (faster spool), different engine lubrication, better intake, different cooling system, different exhaust (dp/cb), different sequential system, radically different suspension, bigger brakes, better aerodynamics, 16bit ecu, upgraded abs, last versions have an extra electronic braking system (EBD), lighter rims, better brake ducting - along with a host of interior/exterior aesthetic upgrades

* as for the 'club racer' comment - series 6 are old cars, and series 8 haven't been widely available. In japan the FD is certainly appreciated for its quality and qualities.

* the bottom line (for the modifying minded) - you can easily, and relatively cheaply build a 10 second rx7 that will handle sublimely - try doing that with an evo or subie. For the same inputted $$$, you will make a mockery of the evo, corners and straights. Not to say the evos aren't amazingly gifted cars - I'd certainly have one - but you're a fool if you believe every myth on the net, and underestimate the FD.

* fuel consumption is, to a certain degree, a hangover (stigma) carried over from earlier rotaries.  In fact, driver magazine (japan), found the r32 GTR to have marginally worse fuel consumption.  For a real world example, my FD (with nearly all the bolt-ons) isn't _that_ much worse than my 98 forester (stock 184kw ej20t, 1380kg, exhaust/filter).  I can't imagine the evo vs fd would be that much of a big deal.

* anyone here who thinks an rx7 is a compromised handling car, or would be left for dead by an evo, is talking out there arse.  Please try driving each car before you type.  The only thing that comes close to the rx7, in terms of japanese rwd cars, is the NSX (and it's in another universe, in terms of price bracket).

* the top spec series 8 cars are rated at 280ps (thought to be closer to 300ps).  Among the changes from s6 = different turbos (faster spool), different engine lubrication, better intake, different cooling system, different exhaust (dp/cb), different sequential system, radically different suspension, bigger brakes, better aerodynamics, 16bit ecu, upgraded abs, last versions have an extra electronic braking system (EBD), lighter rims, better brake ducting - along with a host of interior/exterior aesthetic upgrades

* as for the 'club racer' comment - series 6 are old cars, and series 8 haven't been widely available.  In japan the FD is certainly appreciated for its quality and qualities.

* the bottom line (for the modifying minded) - you can easily, and relatively cheaply build a 10 second rx7 that will handle sublimely - try doing that with an evo or subie.  For the same inputted $$$, you will make a mockery of the evo, corners and straights.  Not to say the evos aren't amazingly gifted cars - I'd certainly have one - but you're a fool if you believe every myth on the net, and underestimate the FD.

My mate has a 10.5 second FD S8 and he spent $13,000 in modifications ( already had FMIC,aftermarket rad and exhaust).

from what ive seen the rx7 will handle better, go faster, and look nicer. also as some one said u cant fake an rx7 :rofl: but theres plenty of gli-evo's about

haha yeah thats generally true....but its not that hard to tell a REAL evo from the mock ups....best way to spot the real one are the 5 stud pattern on the wheels and the AGGRESSIVELY pumped guards......and if someone has gone to all the trouble to do that to his lancer gli....than he is an idiot who would have saved money by buying an evo in the first place..... :D

FD for the fact that there are way too many lancers around that look exactly like evo's. A bit sad considering that there pretty nice looking cars but an Evo just wont stand out like a FD would

For those who have an RX-7 or have had experience with one - how does the power band match driving through the twisties.. as with relatively low torque at lower revs do you have to ring it's neck for the engine to be effective?

Also, I've always heard that rotaries respond outstandingly to power upgrades (if done right as mentioned earlier).. in that case if done so, does it typically effect the higher rev's or is power band increased along the entire rev range?

* you don't have to 'ring its neck' to get good performance - but you'll be flying if you keep it at 5,000 and above.

* I've got most of the bolt-ons, and there has been a fairly consistent gain across the range (not much down low - but no reduction either).

twin turbo + rotary is dynamically quite different to any other performance car I've driven (and it's mostly a very good thing).

it would depend on the task you had in mind for them...

the RX7 would make a great circuit racer and cruiser.

but the EVO would make a great run-a-round and hillclimber!

Ive read a few people state the Evo out handles the RX7. Actually I think it is the other way round. In the hands of a good driver the RX7 will out handle the Evo.

My previous car was a Series 6 RX7 Type R2 and have driven a friends Evo 6.5 a few times. If you look at your back catalog of Best Motoring Videos, the RX7 usually gets the upper hand. In fact in that era it was usually between the R33 GTR, Honda NSX and the RX7 to who would win the race.

Leewah yah you are right the RX7 drinks heaps more Petrol and the Engine needs a rebuild every 5 years.

If I had the choice over again I would no doubt go RX7.

http://gtcarclub.com/temp/rx7_me.jpg