SAU Community

JUN Plenum installed. The results!

Hi guys and girls just letting you know,we have installed the JUN plenum.

As for installing the plenum,WHAT A BITC#!

It took us three days to get the car all sorted.

there is a fare bit that need to be done before you can start the car when installing one of these.

you need a new throttle cable(300zx).

new throttle cable mount.

new piping to the plenum

relocating the air temp sensor

re-doing a lot of hoses underneath the plenum

new radiator hose.

Anyway i'm sure your wanting to know how much power we have made. The answer is that the turbos are surging at idle, and we need to replace the turbos.

With just letting the car idle, the turbo's just chuff like a train.

So we are now wanting to replace our HKS GT-SS turbo's for a set of HKS GT-RS's.

If anyone knows of anyone wanting to swap could you please get them to PM me.

People who are looking for a good set of turbo's that will make 367AWKW the GT-SS's will do it.

Cheers Ben

Guest two.06l
Hi guys and girls just letting you know,we have installed the JUN plenum.

As for installing the plenum,WHAT A BITC#!

It took us three days to get the car all sorted.

there is a fare bit that need to be done before you can start the car when installing one of these.

you need a new throttle cable(300zx).

new throttle cable mount.

new piping to the plenum

relocating the air temp sensor

re-doing a lot of hoses underneath the plenum

new radiator hose.

Anyway i'm sure your wanting to know how much power we have made. The answer is that the turbos are surging at idle, and we need to replace the turbos.

With just letting the car idle, the turbo's just chuff like a train.

So we are now wanting to replace our HKS GT-SS turbo's for a set of HKS GT-RS's.

If anyone knows of anyone wanting to swap could you please get them to PM me.

People who are looking for a good set of turbo's that will make 367AWKW the GT-SS's will do it.

Cheers Ben

Ours used to chuff too....but it was due to an air leak. Hope you dont chase a solution to a problem before it has been properly diagnosed. Good luck!!

Thanks for that two.06L, where did you end up founding that air leak.

Also what sort of leak is it on the exhaust side or the inlet side. before or after the air flow meters?

Cheers and sorry for all the questions.

Ben

The chuffing is when the compressors are trying to force the air into the engine when it has nowhere to go. It usually happens when the Turbo is too big for the engine, or when the turbo comp is too big compared to the turbine.

I can't see how a better flowing plenum could make this happen, and it definatey wouldn't happen at idle.

Have you taken the car for a run? What happens? Does it make boost?

I've asked a few pretty cluey guys and they said the compressor surge can also happen when the engine is too efficient for the turbo's.(They say there is too much exhaust and the exhaust housings are not big enough.

The turbo's are the same ones as when we made 367awkw, the only thing that has changed is the new plenum and the 80mm throttle body.

as for taking it for a drive the car feels like it's making more power and has better response and yes it makes boost.

I would like to know more about, how any leaks can course surging.

Thanks

Why not try doing a leak down test...

Might not apply to ur problem but...

I found a leak when my car came from japan....Intercooler piping's clamps where loose...

U never know what u might find...

Cheers

I am with the others, I don't see how changing the plenum would suddenly make the turbos the wrong size. My guess is that there is another problem, my best suggestion is to work though everything that you have touched when changing the plenum. Pay particular attention to the hoses under the plenum and the new intercooler pipework.

For finding air leaks, I have a spray bottle with dish washing liquid and water in it, I spray all the intercooler pipe work joints. If there is a leak it will blow bubbles.

:D

Guest two.06l
I am with the others, I don't see how changing the plenum would suddenly make the turbos the wrong size.  My guess is that there is another problem, my best suggestion is to work though everything that you have touched when changing the plenum.  Pay particular attention to the hoses under the plenum and the new intercooler pipework.

For finding air leaks, I have a spray bottle with dish washing liquid and water in it, I spray all the intercooler pipe work joints.  If there is a leak it will blow bubbles.

:D

or do a smoke test....the smoke never lies.

If by chuffing you mean compressor shuffle, the GT-RS terbs on my motor shuffled like a bastard. Apparently they are renowned for this. Have a look at the dyno graph in my photos to see the shuffle in the boost pressure during spool up.

Have got a bridged manifold that hopefully will help reduce this.

Thanks i'll might have a go at sending through some smoke.

Nismoid don't worry you will get a power run with the new plenum installed.

we may have found we have an exhaust leak also. and we don't want to take the turbo's off and then have the car retuned to find out that we don't make much more power up top.

We have had the car on the dyno, to check if the A/F ratio's were ok.it was getting too late and we didn't have time to tune the car.(8.30pm at CRD) so we want to get the suring problem all sorted and make sure that sound near the exhaust housing isn't anything major. Then we will get the car back on the dyno.

Just by driving the car you can tell it has a lot more torque down low with the new set up.with the piliot sport 265/35/18's that all round that we run,before just by pushing the throttle we wouldn't get wheel spin in first,but now with just getting it off the line slowly and then pushing the throttle the tires will light up!

When the car is retuned i hope that we get 20kw up top at the treads, and some more down low.

Thanks for all the ideas keep them coming. The turbo's still sound perfect,and we did find that the power steering pump needs to be replaced.

Ben.

I don't see how.

he didn't change the bovs at the same time as plenum.

this is interesting though.

I'd be interested at the outcome.

also, I'm assuming this is a gtr...

making 367awkw...

how come you are changing the plenum?

is it restricting somthing?

I'm sure I've seen stock ones on cars producing a FAIR bit more power.

Just curious why the change at this power level and if it was a recommendation? and by who?

We are changing the plenum, because all the big horse power GTR's run the JUN plenum or something simillar.

As for the bov it is in plumb back form.

We have changed the plenum in the search for the ulitimate in response GTR, and yes we can aready notice a pick up in response with no tuned done.We also want more power.