SAU Community

Newbie needs help

Hi guys, i used to own a 1999 Toyota Celica. I am looking at the skyline ranges now. I feel that the celica is quite useless in terms of power. Am looking for a cheap skyline from japan because i've got only $18k as my budget. What versions of R33 GTSTs are there? Which are the R33s which are more powerful besides the GTR range? Please advice. Thanx!

There are 3 series of the R33 GTS-T available. S1 - 93-95, S2 - 95-96, S3 - 97-98 and then you hit the R34. Those dates are approximate though. The power output on all of the stock standard cars is the same. There is more information the the FAQ and Members Tutorials on this website about exact models.

You can tell the S2 and S3 but the squarer front bumper and higher squarer rear wing usually.

You should have a look around the local market for a skyline, there is a heap in the classified here and on other websites such as the Trading Post or Car Sales. I think you will be able to pick up something nice for your 18K. Remember to leave some money for insurance and other little expenses when you buy.

Cheers

Adrian

yeh my mate just bought r33 gtst 94 model for 15k with 66000kms and exhaust,mags etc very good condition to..i thought it was a bit cheap tho

Mates,

i generally like the '96 GTS25T and above models because of it's exterior designs, i don't really like the more rounded ones in the 93-95 models. How much do i normally need to put aside to mod the car to exceed 200kw of power? What's the fuel efficiency like? and i heard the best petrol for this car is BP Ultimax? Is that true or false?

Cheers

You should be able to pick up a series 2 for around 18k. Get a series 1 if you want some cash left over for mods. Not sure about the fuel, I just know that the premium stuff from anywhere is pretty good....except for optimax apparently?

Depends on the car sometime they come modified and you don't need to do much. If you want a S2 ('96 model) you should get it and save up and do the mods later. I think you will find that there is a big enough step up for you to enjoy for the first 3-6 months and then you can start moding afterwards. Remember not all mods are for straight line speed :) I would not buy a car I don't like the look of just so it was slightly faster.

If you were to buy a 200+rwkw car I think you would be up in the mid to high 20s depending on condition, maybe even 30s for something done well. I think there is actually one in the classified now...

Just my thoughts. I didn't mod the Silvia for a long time after I got it. But I guess it depends on how much you money earn.

heaps of room in the front, you should go and test drive a few, as for the 200rwkw mark its not that hard to reach but its all up to how much you want to spend getting there, as to how much fuel, have a quick search there are a heap of threads on ppls fuel economy, mine is crap.

3/4 of a tank to go from Canberra to sydney but mine is over the 200rwkw.

R33 is a fairly big car. It is not like a Silvia :) So I think you should be right.

As race_snooze said - go out and drive a few if you have not done so already. Who knows you might hate them... Actually it will give you a better idea of everything and you will be able to talk to the owner and get some more useful info off them much faster than we can post stuff.

There nothing like your own experiances. Don't be shy to go to a dealer and talk to them and ask them to take you for a drive.

Enjoy.

Adrian

Guys, thank you all so much for the useful advice, yes i went to a local dealer today to ask for skylines. He is selling a '96 R33 GTS25T Series 2 white skyline with sunroof, full comp, cd player, no alarm, with 69,000kms for $18,990. The exterior is immaculate with not a single scratch at all! the engine is a little dirty. What you guys think? Is this a good buy? It doesn't have any mods at all.

3/4 tank to go from canberra to sydney is that good or what?? race_snooze.

Sounds alrite. You could probably get 1 cheaper of an importer, there are heaps in Melbourne, I'd say the R33 GTST is just about the most common car imported from japan at the moment.

Also, before you buy this thread will end up being extremely useful:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...ead.php?t=35129

Good advice IOWNU. Print that list out from the link and tick the things off when you check out the car.

It is hard to tell with the price of cars - typically with imports you will pay slightly more for an unmodified version than a lightly modified version. But you can be happier that it has probably not been boosted or thrashed in comparision. You also know there are no dodgy Mods. So without seeing it I can't nobody can be sure how good the price is.

A couple of things with dealers though. They are usually more expensive than private - but you probably will get a warrenty (so that is some protection from buying a dud). Also you can generally talk a dealer down in price and get some add ons. eg. Ask him if that is his best price, ask for a full tank of fuel, ask for dashmats, protectors or anything else, maybe ask for an alarm system, check the tyres ask for new ones if the old ones are dodgy. They are usually more willing to lower the price or do add ons if you are paying cash and not doing a trade or finance through them (cos it is a heap less paper work). Finally make sure you are happy with the guy who sells you the car (it is a lot of money so you want to trust the guy and have a good feeling about everything).

Cheers

Adrian

Thanks for the advice again guys, just wondering if any of you can recommend the best place for a reasonable gtst.

IOWNU, care to share how did u get your skyline and how u went around searching for it?

Adrian, care to share your past experiences as well like any hiccups u had in the process of purchasing your vehicle? be it skyline or any japan import vehicle.

Cheers.

I don't have much to tell really. I own a Silvia Q's (I am looking to get a R33 GTR when I get back from Germany at the end of the year). I actually bought if from a private sale in Townsville where I went to Uni (I was a student at the time... I still am :rant: ). It was totally stock standard.

Basically I talked to the guy who was selling, looked the car over and it was really good condition, drove well etc. Then I went home and talked to insurance companies and thought about it for a day or so. Decided I wanted it, made an offer and said if it passes a mechanical by my mechanic and he said OK. I took him a bank Cheque and signed over the papers. Basically it is very easy to buy local and since there are so many cars you don't really need to import your own (which takes some weeks and you never get to see the car or drive it etc. - but it can be cheaper).

Best advice I can give -

Know the market

Find something in good condition (mods can be done later - restoration is harder)

Get a mechanical done by someone you trust (you decide about anything that fails what to do about it - a dealer will normally fix anything)

Offer a price

Fill out the papers

Pay the money

GET A SIGNED RECIEPT!! (even for private sales)

I have not had any problesm with my car - flat bttery, niggling little idle and surging issue (probably a sensor is dying).

Just buy what you LIKE. If you are happy with it and you treat it well it will last and you will be happy.

Cheers

Adrian

PS. Sorry for the long post.

Hey man,

I imported mine myself from Japan. My uncle lives in Japan, so time to time I have a few cars coming in.....its really kind of a hobby of mine, since I got my Ls when I was 16, i've had a R33 GTS, R32 GTST, R33 GTST, 180sx and now I have a R32 GTR and RX7.

So for me, it was just finding a cheap car in Japan. Ofcourse, I had been in mates skylines etc to get a feel for the car. If i were you I would test drive a few different examples, to see which one your prefer.