SAU Community

Ignition Error - Code 21

Red Sky II

Been having an annoying problem with the Stagea (RB25DET Neo) in that the Engine Warning Light comes on intermittently usually accompanied by engine retardation.

The dealer's mechanic have been tyring to fix the problem for weeks now. It started after they replaced the coil packs and fixed a rough idling issue. Now I get the above warning light although car runs fine when the light isn't on. Stopping and restarting usually gets rid of the light and can proceed driving.

The last attempt at fixing it was to replace the Cam Sensor (is this the Crank Angle Sensor? - excuse my ignorance) and change the timing. Worked fine for a few days but it is now back and it is becoming very annoying.

Took it to another workshop who advised it was Error Code 21 and said it was a strange problem and to try the Crank Angle Sensor as a first step.

Searched the forums and found 1 post where it turned out to be loose wires.

Hoping someone has some ideas of where to look next to solve the problem as not enjoying the drive at the moment. Plus thoughts on whether it is safe to drive (both mechanics have said it is).

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Al

• 3 years later...

sorry to dig up an old topic, but it didnt have any responses and i am having the same issue with my series 2. have also searched the forum and most

other responses appear to be coil packs, however Alan mentions above that doing so didn't seem to fix things 100%.

Basically i've been driving the car since thursday night, and have had the engine light with the rough ride happen twice, and its fixed by simply turning the car off and

then turning her back on. i drove the car quite a bit over the whole weekend and it didnt happen at all, until thismorning.

we had a very similar issue with our one, turn off then on and the fault cleared. it came up as a CAS fault on consult. the CAS was checked and in good working order. the coils packs were replaced and the error went away.

buying new coils is an expensive way to trouble shoot but they are a common fault with neo's it seems.

i dont know how to check what error code it is? just engine light on, rough ride, turn off then on, all good. will take it to my mechanic to have a look 2morrow.