SAU Community

Shaft Play And Turbo Noises

Hi;

I have a tapping/ticking sound coming from my turbo i am unsure what it means. could it possable be shaft play (and if so what is shaft play), i also have a fear that the turbo wheel is damage as i have been getting sparks out of my exhuast.

The sound can only be hear from outside of the car, i have not noticed it well driving only when i just start her up

thankyou

are you still making good boost or is it dead that will tell you if the exaust wheel is missing, but I am sure they just go bang not go slowly, and smoke, last thing take it to a machanic that you trust and ask them for an honest picture

are you still making good boost or is it dead that will tell you if the exaust wheel is missing, but I am sure they just go bang not go slowly, and smoke, last thing take it to a machanic that you trust and ask them for an honest picture

thanks for the reply, no smoke, and still comes on boost as hard as it did in the beging, i didnt think it would be the wheel, but something is making ticking sound from the area around the turbo

Have you checked for shaft play yet..?

If there is play chances are Blades are hitting housing.

Mine made more of a screech when bearing wore causing excessive play(on HT-18 Turbo), blades were hitting housing, snapped bits from the ends of the blades, just wore others, burn marks on blades and housing, still made boost :D

What does shaft play sound like? When I start my car if I give it a small rev to say 2k before the oil has started lubricating everything (I know bad) it makes a terrible rattle.

Rip off the intake pipe and hot pipes from ya turbo and free up the front inlet snout, so ya can undo that also to allow access to the compressor wheel... grab hold of the center and see if it moves forward/backward... it should have a minute amount of up and down, but forward and backward and you can safely say its ready to or is farked out. The forward/backward slack can allow the turbine to pull forward when making boost in a similar style to a propellor causes forward motion, and contacts the compressor housing which has obvious results. Get onto it asap to check for any shaftplay cos it can lead to more drama's. I dunno why you'd be getting sparks out the exhaust tho i'd be strapped to work out what would cause sparks exiting the exist? Unless it was the fibreglass packing in the mufflers breaking down and burning up ?