SAU Community

What could it be?!

Hey guys,

I've had problems starting my car. This is what can be ruled out.

1) I've got 2 brand new batterys now. One extra extra heavy duty with big plates.

2) Alternator is fine, when car is on volts is 14.2

3) Starter motor is fine too.

Now the problem is that, i charge my battery, end up being like 14.1 volts (that was after a few hours) and the car starts fine. However, once the car sits (today i drove it at 8.30am) and went to start it at 1.00pm the car was dead? :confused:

I know for a fact that my alternator is charging the battery, because within a hour after it can still start.

I have no amp, no headunit, but i do have neons (not on however)

Should i take these out to rule them out of the question too?

I also have a brant alarm, but i dont know if this could be the problem? how could i find out, i dont know where it is or how 2 by pass it? If anyone knows that can you PM me.

If anyone has had this problem before, would you be able to tell me what it was on yours? or what i could try. Thanks in advance.

This is a really frustrating matter!

Dayne

yeah definately sounds like a leech in the system. could be coming from anywhere. Make sure the boot light is turning off. If its not that, it might be wise to take it somewhere as they can measure the falling current and guage what it could be draining the power.

yeah im getting really pissed off with the peice of shit.

how do i check if its the regulator andrew? maybe i should throw in the 'cheaper' battery n stuff that then my other new one.

im guna rip everything out, no lights are being left on in the car bar the brant flashy one

it sounds like something is draining your battery , to make sure the battery is good charge it up then disconect it ( the the neg off the battery ) , leave it for for a couple of days then try to start it . If it starts normal then the battery is good so you can look elsewhere .

I know for a fact that the battery is fine. But thanks for that anyway.

I just disconnected my headunit properly (terminated the wires) as well as neons in car, and underbody. I also removed the earth off the alarm. So i'll go down and see in 5 or so hours if the car still starts, then i can eliminate it from there. Just a question, who can remove brant alarms? should anyone be able to do it?

Dayne

have you replaced the brushes on the alternator (regulator) (little black box on the back of the alternator) as they may still be charging but not with any current which is what really charges the battary. Good luck

how do i check if its the regulator andrew?
Get hold of a multi-meter, set to 20V DC. Fire up the engine.

Measure V across battery terminals - should be around 14V at idle

Now increase revs- V should remain around 14V.

If V increases, then regulator is kaput.

it stays at 14.2 when the car is on.

With what you said race_snooze, the car will remain to start for a few hours after. Its after this period of time that the power is gone. so something is draining it, so now i can rule out regulartor, starter motor, battery, alternator. I'll find out soon wether or not its the alarm doing this, and if i cant find the problem tonight, its off to an auto elect.

Cheers for all the input. keep it comming:D

Dayne

it stays at 14.2 when the car is on.

With what you said race_snooze, the car will remain to start for a few hours after. Its after this period of time that the power is gone. so something is draining it, so now i can rule out regulartor, starter motor, battery, alternator. I'll find out soon wether or not its the alarm doing this, and if i cant find the problem tonight, its off to an auto elect.

Cheers for all the input. keep it comming:D

Dayne

I had this problem in my car it was the back-up battery in the alarm. Coz the battery was stuffed in the alarm it tried charging it all the time and draining the car battery at the same time.You could try that?

• 1 month later...