SAU Community

HELP!! engine isnt running so good

boost33

hi

Just recently my car has started playing up, a couple of times I started it up only 2 or 3 times it didn’t want to accelerate, it would but spluttering all through the revs,

Now it got better but it still splutters around 4800-5000 for a split second every time I run the car on the road, only does it 2nd gear onwards (doesn’t do it in 1st)

it splutters more when it cold

Can’t find out what the hell is wrong with it, giving me the shitt !!!!!!!

any idea??????????????? it's a 1997 R33

thanks

does it miss-fire ?

can you explain splutters more

"splutters, like it's missfiring" i've checked all the spark plugs and coil packs they all look good, after it splutters around 4800rpm it revs through to near red line as normal

i'll check the stock i/c pipes as IMACUL8 said cherrs!!

and i found a site that tells how to check fault codes, i'll check this out :run:

thanks for the reply's :O

"splutters, like it's missfiring"  i've checked all the spark plugs and coil packs they all look good, after it splutters around 4800rpm it revs through to near red line as normal

i'll check the stock i/c pipes  as IMACUL8 said cherrs!!

and i found a site  that tells how to check fault codes, i'll check this out :run:  

thanks for the reply's :O

im getting that at the moment too, around the same rpm range, just like you said it splutters then rev normal, im pretty sure mine is related to my plugs, im going to take them out and check if i foul them and if not regap them,

have you regap ur plugs?

You boys upped your boost?

What are your plugs gapped at?

Should be 0.8mm if memory serves me correctly.

IMACUL8, im running 0.8bar (12psi), and if i remember right 0.8mm is the gap or maybe its 0.6mm i cant remember, but im almost 100% it was 0.8mm

then your plugs (as long as there all good) are not your problem.

Look at AFM? or air leaking from pipe work. Also fuel pump might be playing up. Its always wise to change out the old one for a bosch, walbro, gtr fuel pump.

I'm still running stock boost (except for the 3inch exaust, which up the boost a little)

i wasn't sure on the gaps on the plugs, but they all looked the same and in good nick, but i might try cheking the gaps on the weekend

standard gaps are like 1.2 i think but hey are fine unless u run over a bar of boost. Unless ure plugs are coverd inblack gunk they should still be fine and they would ping like crazy at high load/revs.

It sounds electrical, try jiggling ure plugs and what not it could be ure coil packs as mentioned before. make sure everything has a good connection.

If u get it to about 3500-4000 and cruise and pump it up and down does it still do this?

oh yeh and just thought id check, u havent been "detailing" ure engine bay recently have u? the valley is filled with water? it happens.

It sounds electrical, try jiggling ure plugs and what not it could be ure coil packs as mentioned before. make sure everything has a good connection.

If u get it to about 3500-4000 and cruise and pump it up and down does it still do this?

oh yeh and just thought id check, u havent been "detailing" ure engine bay recently have u? the valley is filled with water? it happens.

about a week ago it was really bad across the revs but know it only seems to be up the top end, above 4500ish

i did actually give it wash about week and half ago, but it was playing up before that, and i have pulled every plug including the coil's pack plugs and sprayed contact cleaner, since i washed it

thinking it could be the fuel pump or fuel filter, will have a look when i get home

Big mystery :confused:

May as well replace stuff like o2 and fule filter they wil be like 20 bucks each, (think someone was selling an o2 from an el falcon which fits) and they should be changed anyway for peace of mind.

get your fuel regulator / fuel pump etc checked out

could may even be your tps.

do you find this problem does not happen when youre car is fully warmed up?

or happens alot more when you cold start + drive?

I only give it a bit of throttle when she is warm (it only seems to happen about 4500ish )rpm

i drove her last night seems to be getting better

each time i gave it a bit of throttle it was less noticable

i'm going to buy a fuel filtter today after work (i'm regap the spark plugs on the weekend)

see how it goes :)

ive got similar probs on my NICS RB20DET, only really has started since I upped the boost (10psi). Basically it sort of hesitates as it hits peak boost, not a total cut but certainly not smooth. Its not pinging (has cooler with the piping thermo wrapped). Im thinking its either ignition or fuel based (not getting enough fuel on boost) but I have already richened the mixture a fair bit and this has still hoped. It idles fine and off boost it runs fine too. Time to test the coil packs (i have some spares at least) and do a plug change. Whats the easiest way to test the coil packs?