SAU Community

aussie living in japan HELP!!!!

dreamaaa

1st bicycle.

2nd bride seat, jack, and all my tools.

3rd failed attempt at stealing my scooter but totally stuffed the ignition lock :D

not to mention Ive been attacked by a very japanese looking guy with a pole.

I also think I figured out why they dont let foreigners into bars... its not coz the foreigners cause trouble its coz the Japanese beat them up. Happened to a mate last weekend! He was so drunk he didnt even fight back, he just kept getting hit till he fell down. Guess it could have been a Korean or Chinese guy though LOL

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

akeenan: well i guess depends on where you guys live as well

in the same area as you

Japan is def a safer place but id say that japanese people arent all law abiding and respectful like you state.

its also very different for a white person to live in japan compared to a japanese person like urself. Im starting to become very tired of the usual/racial assumptions that this country is full of. dont get me wrong there are many things i love about the country but at the same time there are many things i dont like about the country and many things i cant believe happen ..... things which would not be tolerated in a western counrty.

streeter is not the only one who has had things stolen since being in japan. Ive had more things stolen living here in the past 1.5 years than in Australia for 22 years . my first bike, my second bike(which was stolen from inside the gates of my girlfriends house), countless umbrellas, the ringing part from inside my bicycle bell(100円), all my mini discs, my 日本語ー英語 dictionary, my mini disc player

thats about it...

now if youd like me to go into being `respectful` .......

the country does have many many great people but at the same time (like all other countries) there are always some whom ruin it.... i gues ive just met all these bad people ............. .

akeenan: yeah it is unfortunate and yes it could be that i am japanese and had not experienced what you have experienced....

having said that im not sure why so many things get stolen from you guys??? and the bell on your bike is ridiculous?!?!?! that is low by any human beings standard....

by no means i am attacking you guys to prove myself but it is from my observation from where i lived and heard.... dunno maybe kansai can be more rowdy?

streeter: i can not say if the ppl who attacked you were japanese or not, or foreigners that got beaten up in a club was done by japanese or other asians and for what reason. i am not saying all japanese ppl are good either and yes there are yakuza and thugs in japan too. also its f**ked up you got attacked by some dude with a pole but crazy ppl are everywhere...

if i was beaten up in australia i will not know if the person who beat me was english, scottish, american, swedish, canadian or french or any other caucasian race, but i will say i was beaten up by an australian person because i am in australia unless the person looked asian, middle eastern, african, etc so just cos the person looked japanese doesnt say much.

i think this can go forever and you are entitled to your opinions so i will leave it at that. im not here to make arguements and so forth. people are people and maybe japan is not as nice of a place as it used to be.... just as australia is getting more dangerous....

hope any more bad sh!t happens to you guys while your stay...

masahiro

Dont get me wrong I think in general Japanese are probably more honest and possibly less likely to commit crime than westerners (at the same time they are alot more likely to walk past a stranger who is dying on the side of the street though)

It was just that I couldnt let your comments slide as it is the general Japanese consensus that crime is committed by foreigners when in fact Ive had alot of crime commited against me by Japanese! Your right, I cant say it was definitely Japanese people committing the crimes but with so few foreigners in Japan the odds dont look very good LOL

i got badly robbed whislt I was in japan too. It was quite traumatic acutally. It was by a local too in a back alley in chiba. A Kirin Beer vending machine to be precise. I tried to buy a 2litre can of beer and the bastard stole my yen. think it was a 5 thousand note too. maybe not that much (maybe 2 thou). needless to say I shed a few tears. I tried to fight back but it was one tough mutha and resisted my attacks.

a sad day for us all.

hahahaha... i like your little ryhme on the end...

but seriously i dont mean to disrespect any foreigners in japan

but there is a reason for not letting foreigners into some venues...

it is because foreigners (especially americans) are known to cause problems

So the 'Japanese way' is to ban all foreigners? This is rasicsm. Why not deal with the problem? Because dealing with the problem is too hard? It's like taking all the tables an chairs out of a restaurant because you want to make it a 'no smoking area'.
you see the people in japan are more law abiding, (i dont mean drifting in the street kind of law abiding... i mean they respect things) where as a lot of foreigners who come into japan (especially those who say things like 'how easy is it to get with japanese chicks, etc), get drunk and run a muck as if the laws/rules dont apply to them in a foreign country (or cos they are foreigners). this is why some places NEED to do it not because they want to be racists. if the foreigners behaved themselves and didnt get drunk and rowdy then there will be no need for this type of solution.
No offence to you Masahiro, but that same logic reminds me of the time I went to get an apartment in Nishinakajima in north Osaka... I was refused tenancy on the grounds that I was NOT JAPANESE because... get this... the previous 'non-Japanese' tenants were Indian, and when they left, there was a curry smell in the apartment that hung around for 6 months! The reason they say "No foreigners" as opposed to "No Indians" is because they didn't want to be seen as rascist!!!! To me, this is typical Japanese segregation and 'group ideology'. Just because they (Japanese) all do it and get away with it, doesn't mean it's right.
im sorry for those on this forum who i stereo typed as foreigners in japan

but i am sure you will not be offended as if you love the japanese culture then you will have already acted accordingly and caused no harm.

But this is the problem... the good foreigners embrace the Japanese culture and do our best to get along with everybody, but we're still stereotyped. All this does is promote a deep down feeling of true 'alienation' no matter how long you stay here. It does cause offence even if a nice old Japanese lady gives me homemade maki zushi or not.

Masahiro, I do agree with what you say from a Japanese perspective, I've had enough experience to understand explicitly why you say what you do, but from an international perspective, it just doesn't stand up. It's not so much the actions I'm talking about (like rascism toward blacks in the US) but the ideology and stigma that surrounds foreigners in Japan. It's too much for me so I'm leaving. I'd rather live in a less safe place (AU) and feel a part of the local community than live in good 'ol safe Japan and be a 'novelty resident'...

Richard, i would have just smashed him even if he was twice my size, damn Japanese

Hehe, you are a passionate young fellow...

Just try to remember that many, but not all, of life's problems can be solved by smashing. :chairshot :bonk: :D

Oh, and don't hang around in the same spot long enough so that they can come back with their footy team! (I learned that the hard way).

well i understand that you all had different experiences and being a foreigner in a country will always cause alienation. no matter how aussie i am i still dont look like a caucasian australian and people will look at me that way too. so i do understand. racism does exist in japan but not in a vocal way rather in a hidden way as expressed by rezz and i too hate that about japanese culture, and yes i agree with you streeter i am sure if some one was being attacked most ppl will just walk past and look the other way in japan (its sad but true).

well i know you guys all do the right thing and feel sorry if you had bad experiences caused by a japanese person.

masahiro

I nearly got into a fight with some Japanese guy before outside of a restaurant.

He was really drunk though and his friend stopped him before i could get out of the car.

I'm pretty big by japanese standards and this guy was about half my size, skinny as ****.. i guess the usual size for a yanki. What i dont get is how the **** he expected to win the fight becuase i could have quite literally picked him up and thrown him into the bushes or something.