SAU Community

Rice?!? Good Or Bad?!?

im getting a 1996 SKYLINE R33 GTS and im planning on ricing it up pretty hard, bodykit, nice sporty rims, big GT wing, new paint job, decals down the doors, carbon fibre hood, colour tinting the windows, IceLed neons, but everyones arguing with me about it, they dnt think its practical or they think its too common :confused: , im just wondering what everyone else thinks about how rice a car should be, what is too much? and what is too common? if you have any input just throw it in here

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey

thats almost the same as me but minus the carbon fibre hoods, the GT wing and the decals (maybe a few little ones)

but yeh i love cars that look like that as it takes time and effort to get a car to look good like that. Its always good to see nice looking cars on the road instead of the standard average joe car

and to much is maybe when you get hydrolics and neons that bounce with the bass of the music :D lol

good luck and sounds pretty good :)

P.S as i have learnt from my post, Research Reasearch research before jumping into anything

im getting a 1996 SKYLINE R33 GTS and im planning on ricing it up pretty hard, bodykit, nice sporty rims, big GT wing, new paint job, decals down the doors, carbon fibre hood, colour tinting the windows, IceLed neons, but everyones arguing with me about it, they dnt think its practical or they think its too common :confused: , im just wondering what everyone else thinks about how rice a car should be, what is too much? and what is too common? if you have any input just throw it in here

thanks  :Pimp2:

Look into stuff before you post about it... think about it realistically. Can you afford all this???

A kit + paint will cost $2500 most times (fitted) remember that.

Hydros - pfft never heard of anyone who does them, most common thing is bags (thats like $5,000) right there.. can you afford that??

Led neons - $500

Carbon fibre bonnet - $1000 + GTR hinges $200

Decals good set $600 maybe more??

Gt wing - $500 maybe??

and finally paint job.. minimum $4000 for a decent sort of job...

Now... can you really afford to get all of this done?? See when research + reality comes into it?? its good having a dream and if thats what you want go for it, but in the long run doing this will loose you alot of money, where you could go get wheels + exhaust + lower it and you will have a sweet ride.. have a think about it and how your resale would go... The car would cost atleast $28,000 to build.. and its still a GTS at the end of the day...

Dayne

to much to get hydrolics? i was gonna get hydrolics so that with the body kit i would use them to get over speed humps and the like :D lol, but yeah - "Reseach Reasearch" - what you mean?

LOL that was a speed typing error :) my bad

you just have to source the best places to get your paint jobs, neons, body kits and all the mods you plan to do for the best price and service available :)

thats what i mean by "research research..." :)

and yeh hydrolics would be actually pretty cool lol, as for the cost i havnt a clue how much they would be.. sorry :) ask around or pm an expert

i personally dont like all the rice stuff but its ur car and you shouldnt give a shite what other people think about it

but like dayne said its VERY expensive. i know that before i bought my r32 i had heaps of plans. but still after 9 months i havent even got around do doing half of them

but everyones arguing with me about it, they dnt think its practical or they think its too common :confused: , im just wondering what everyone else thinks about how rice a car should be, what is too much? and what is too common? if you have any input just throw it in here

thanks  :Pimp2:

do the mods you want to do to your car, its your car, it doesnt really matter what anyone else thinks (except maybe the police).

yes i can afford it, even tho it may take me some time, its just a list of things that i would like to get done, got alot of friends in the business, TURBOSMART, got a friends whos a pannelbeater, who also does paint jobs, but yeah its a long list but one day hopefully ill have it all done

i know its a GTS at the end of the day, but most things that i put onto it i can move straight over to a GTR when i have the license that allows me to drive it

Just gotta say that neons are sooooo not hot! It's like seeing a Honda with a boost gauge; utterly pointless! You get the feeling that if someone's trying to get the car to look hot on the outside, they haven't done much about the engine. It's just too, too ostentatious. Hydrolics is a more american muscle car thing, although i saw a van jumping up and down and loved it =). I gotta agree with the guy above; it's just a gts. If you want something flashy, you're gonna need the engine to back it up!

do the mods you want to do to your car, its your car, it doesnt really matter what anyone else thinks (except maybe the police).

new NSW P Plate Laws - NO ENGINE MODS! i cant even legally touch the exhaust, its FKN GAY! what engine mods can i do that wont be able to be noticed by a n00b cop who pulls me over? the only one i know if is extractors, pods can be seen...

I don't like rice but it's your car. It's going to sit in your garage and your the one who has to look at it everyday.

Just be weiry that cops are going to hone in on you when you drive pass.

Rice car + P plater = easy target.

yeah i kno with a riced up car i will be a target, but yeah, my car, ill do it how i want, just wondering what everyone elses view is on it, whether they like it or not, how they like it or why they dont, so if you do have a look at this post, leave some of your ideas down

i wouldnt rice it till ya at least anothe 6 years older, cops love chucking defects on riced up cars that belong to young owners, just do some serios tweaks to the motor/drive tran and keep it lookin stock. shows ya take pride in ya car, but wont attract the wrong attention ( ie cops and car theives and that occasional commo drive that wants to take aclub lock to ya car after ya blew his doors clean off.................)

If you are gonna rice it up how about doing stuff that hasnt been done already (like neons, shopping list etc...)

There is a fine line for whats ricey and whats not and some guys on this forum will soon let you know.

A big GT wing looks ricey to some and looks the shit to others but at the end of the day, it can actually serve a purpose.

There are pointless ricey mods that do nothing (like neons) and there are ricey mods that serve a purpose (like carbon bonnets - GT wings etc...)

This is what I am doing with mine so its not just another series 1 with a GTR wing and front bar and big rims!! how boring!!

You've really gotta do what makes you happy cos its your ride.

You shouldnt give a shit what anyone else thinks or says anyway. :uh-huh:

RICE= Bad. (My opinion)

In saying that, I have to admit that I have an R32 GTR so I don't really have to worry about ricing it up to look good, it looks tough, which I like, and goes hard. (Suck eggs dude, I got it just before the new rules came in, lol. I'm on green P's. Didn't u have your P's before the new rules came in? If yes, you can get turbo.)

I think that big, open fibreglass bodykits look crap, especially with heaps of mesh inserts, and especially on non-sporty cars. Same with huge carbon wings.

I think gR33ddy is on the right track; try to make your car look different. This will get you the most looks, if thats what you want. Example: the other day I saw a WRC blue WRX with the gold rims(yes guys the dark side still tempts this young Padawan). The only mod I could see was a set of WRC style Subaru star decals in yellow down the side. I couldn't take my eyes off it.

This is what I'd do, and the kind of thing I think would look good(only my opinion):

Nice racing type rims: 17 or 18 inch, 19s if you are super keen. Decent tyres.

Paint your brake calipers red/blue/yellow or whatever, match car maybe. Drilled/slotted brake rotors look good too. Get decent pads too while at it.

Nice bodykit thats not too lairy.

Good paint job.

Carbon fibre bonnet and neat carbon wing. Carbon mirrors too maybe.

Nice window tint, I don't know about colored.

Neons maybe if they are legal(someone said you have to have the actual tube concealed).

Nice decals/stickers down the side. Stay away from the shopping list style sticker down the door, you have no GReddy, TOMEI, HKS, A'Pexi gear on you car, so this would look wanky.

Thats all I can think of right now:)

Someone slap me before I turn into a RICER!

You'll get respect for a car that looks done complete and well maintained.

Pay attention to little things that people dont think of, and any cheap things like painting your calipers, keeping car clean and polished, wheels clean, tyres shiny black etc will make peoples opinion of the car rise and cost very little. Plus what I said above.

When people see your car, you'll get more admiring nod and smiles with a car like this than you will with a lairy bodykit etc, and much fewer snickers and shaken heads.

The problem is, is that you're buying an R33, not that they are a bad car, it's just that every man and his dog has one these days. If you want to stand out from the crowd, you need to be subtle yet different. Everyone's done the decals down the side, paint job, wing thing... It's getting old!

You want your car to have street cred, not somewhat "retro" styling. Have a look at some Japanese forums, get a few ideas. No body wants 'BLING' anymore. People want they're cars to look tough and understated. They only thing I can suggest is, the less you do to you car, they better... concentrate on what's going to make the car not look like every other R33 out there... as I said, tough and understated.

Good Luck!

Sava

Fulllock Motorsport

www.fulllock.com

rice is usually bad and u will get laughed at, i consider having a good looking bodykit and some nice rims ok, also a GT-wing is ok, but cf bonnet neons r gay and wats especially gay is decals and stickers, they dont do u any good and looks gay

Having a showcar is different

Personally, I think you should hold out on ricing up your car and spend sometime learning more about skylines and cars in general. You're still a little young at this stage and you may regret doing what you say you are prepared to do. I was caught up in ricing the crap out of my car but as I learned more about skylines (in particulare the GTR) and cars in general, I got sick of all this ricing crap. So my advice, just take your time to learn a little more about cars (I thought i knew about cars when i was 19...boy was I wrong), hold out for a little longer and I am sure you will modify your car in a way which you will feel you will be putting your money into making your car a more enjoyable ride. Good luck.