SAU Community

PROOF - WA is behind the times

Steve

CONFEDERATION OF AUSTRALIAN MOTOR SPORT (CAMS) MEDIA RELEASE

23 July 2005

For Immediate Release

DRIFTING ON TRACK FOR CAMS AUSTRALIAN CHAMPIONSHIP IN 2006

The Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS) has embraced one of the fastest growing forms of the sport, announcing its endorsement of an Australian Drift Championship in 2006.  

CAMS will enter into a Category Management Agreement with Drift Australia Pty Ltd and finalise comprehensive technical and sporting regulations in the coming months.

"Drifting is one of the fastest growing forms of motor sport in the world and the creation of an official Australian Championship is a logical and positive step forward in the sports' development," said CAMS' Manager of Motor Sport Operations, Peter Ryan.

"We have been supporting drifting at numerous CAMS events over the past

18 months and the following the sport draws is phenomenal. We are pleased to be working with the professional team at Drift Australia to ensure that drifting events are recognised by the wider community as an exciting form of motor sport."

Drift Australia Director Scott Anderson is equally pleased.

"We are delighted with the decision and look forward to working with CAMS to help take drifting to the next level in this country."

END

For more information regarding this release please contact:

Jenny Thompson, Communications Manager, CAMS

Mob: 0412 844 644

Wayne Boatwright, Director, Drift Australia

Mob: 0418 643082

And WA still doesnt even have regular practice sessions or competitions :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Getting left behind, big time.

why the hell cant places like AHG or Wanneroo get behind this? the writing is on the wall

No offence to those that love this state, I just find it really frustrating that no one here with the power to get behind this is doing a damn thing - why do we have to be several steps behind the rest of Aust?

Guest DIRTgarage
And WA still doesnt even have regular practice sessions or competitions  :cuss:  :cuss:  :cuss:  

Getting left behind, big time.

why the hell cant places like AHG or Wanneroo get behind this?  the writing is on the wall

No offence to those that love this state, I just find it really frustrating that no one here with the power to get behind this is doing a damn thing - why do we have to be several steps behind the rest of Aust?

Yeah, from when i last checked they were about 3hrs behind the times....eastern standard times that is....lol

Steve,

I feel your pain.

I would have run a series - but in a nutshell I didnt have the time, and it would have been of limited commercial benefit for the time invested.

Its happening though - so lets all get behind it and it'll prosper.

Jash

Jash,

If there is any way that anybody needs help - I am there. I love the sport, love being involved (as I was in SA, through D1 Garage) and dont charge a cent :P

I do have a reasonable grounding (several years) in admin and co-ordination, and have been lucky enough to be on the team with one of australia's best, as well as one of the best from Japan.

I just really want to get involved, and I do think that there are many people here in WA that are in the same boat. This sport has already attracted MAJOR sponsorship from international companies, and it certainly isnt doing the local companies (over east) any harm either.

Patience is a virtue I havent discovered yet :rofl:

Guest DIRTgarage
yeah come on mate, we're not that bad ... it's only 2 hours :rofl:

Oh well....last time i checked was around christmas time......lol

Steve,

There are only 3 real places that you could organise Drift in and around Perth: Wanneroo, AHG and Collie.

You can contact Wanneroo via the WASCC. AHG are pretty approachable, but I don't think they have any plans for drift. Collie does hold some drift sessions, but it's a long drive:(

Dont think there is any chance that wont happen, you have been to drift comps in the east havent you? They are huge, just need to get them going...

as the CAMS release states:

the following the sport draws is phenomenal

The crowds being drawn are so big, that the owners of tracks east rub their hands together each time an event is up - huge money spinner for them. They even get sizeable crowds on the practice days.

Ah well, maybe give it a few more years and we might be where the east was a few years ago *note to self, must learn to be more patient*

Thing is Steve - All I got when I was trying to organise something was sniping from the peanut gallery. People spent more time bleating about how I should let newbies out there with the pros than offering some sort of concrete support.

It comes down to the fact that stuff like this needs to be organised by a committee or club - rather than a business or individual. Humans in Perth associated with drift need to build bridges and get over themselves then everyone will benefit.

There's an awful lot riding on the first drift event at Wanneroo in September - if it all works then there will be a lot more.

Everyone now understands that to progress the sport here it needs to step up to the plate in terms of car presentation and even human presentation.

Jash

I am not having a go at you Jeff, hope I didnt come across that way. Big ups for doing something about it.

There is no doubt that you and C-Red have done great things for the performance community here in perth - your shop, and name are well respected in SA amongst performance circles. (James for D1 Garage told me he hoped to get on the track with you one day, Martin Donnon was also very aware of the existance of you guys for a couple of examples)

I am sure it will be very popular, what advertising has been looked into? Radio community switch services being informed (worked well in SA)? Fliers being made up? Do you need pit crew for any of your guys?

Have you approached the likes of Toyo to see if they are interested in raising their presence here in the west - noting they were the first major sponsor to get behind drift in the east, and they love the exposure its creating for them there. They sponsor all major events in the east.

If you have any promo pamphlets you would like distributed, I get around a fair bit with work and could probably help with the distribution.

well its good to see the passion here but i get the general feeling that i get is a lot of people are cheap skates when it actually comes to supporting such events. everyone complains about how much it costs, how bad the organisation was, etc. as jeff said it needs time.

i guess not having the right venue does make things even harder and the first event needs to come off with a good vibe or the next event will be even harder to organise.

i am fully supportive of it and i too feel that its about time. so if anyone needs a graphic designer to do some adverts, tickets, flyers/posters,etc do let me know. i will volunteer my services so it becomes a good start for drifting in WA. mail me if you need my services and i am willing to help when needed. btw is there like an organisation here in WA? like drift australia?

cheers

masahiro

[email protected]