SAU Community

Inlet Cam Adjuster Dyno Result

This might be a stupid question but isnt VVT only on the r34 Neo engines, and not the r33 rb25det? So your adjuster mod can only be used on cars fitted with VVT?

Noise???? Based on the 2 degrees advance we apply to GTR's and RB20's, it doesn't make the idle "lumpy", if that's the question.  They just sit there and idle, same as they did before.

Emmissions, that's a bit tougher to answer as it depends on how the engine is tuned before the inlet camshaft timing is advanced.  Just fitting an exhaust and turning up t he boost to 10 psi makes an RB25DET fail the ADR standards.  I suspect if you advanced the inlet camshaft timing 2 degrees on a totally stock engine it would make bugger all difference to the emissions, with NOx being the only question.

:mellow:  cheers :blink:

Sydneykid, have you tried to advance on the inlet of r33 with as et of poncams?

Sydneykid, have you tried to advance on the inlet of r33 with as et of poncams?

Depends if it is an R33GTST or R33GTR. The 3 X RB25's we have used Poncams in work best at zero degrees. In my experience, GTR's always benefit from adjusting the camshaft timing, regardless of the brand of camshaft used.

:mellow: cheers :blink:

Depends if it is an R33GTST or R33GTR.  The 3 X RB25's we have used Poncams in work best at zero degrees.  In my experience, GTR's always benefit from adjusting the camshaft timing, regardless of the brand of camshaft used.

:P cheers :P

Sorry it's r33 gtst. you meant zero degree in both inlet and exh?

I reckon I might be able to find some of my lost power by dialing the cams in with this adjustable inlet pulley.

Maybe my inlet cam is one way or the other and I'll be able to find the best position for it.

0 Degrees will probably the best spot, but I'm not confident that mines at 0 now.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Paul33 is testing the adjusters this weekend with Dr Drift.

Thanks to both for giving it a go.

Unfortunatly I can't make it to have a look. I'm doing wedding stuff with my fiance. And if I want to continue to speak in a voice that doesn' sound like Michael Jackson, then I must accompany her.

Godd Luck guys, I look forward to the results.

BASS OUT

hey bass i forgot to tell you, mega sorry its not going in this weekend, its being booked in mid next week, prolly go in wednesday as sam has been flat chat. ill pm you monday what time its going in on wednesday

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Sorry for the late reply and big delay. We had the cam gear fitment put on over the weekend and after testing we made no extra power whatsoever. My cams were dialed in at the factory position and made the best power there. Any more advanced and we lost power everywhere else but gained like 2rwkw in the top end.

There are some pics of the unit fitted below (can get better ones if you like). Very nice little invention/concept just a shame the power increase wasn't experienced. Let me know if I can help in any other way or test stuff etc. Dyno chart to come tomorrow when I scan it up, shows unit fitted and no change, then 3 deg advance then 5 deg advance

Pictures: http://members.dodo.com.au/paul/pics/camadjust/page_01.htm

Hi guys,

Sorry for the late reply and big delay. We had the cam gear fitment put on over the weekend and after testing we made no extra power whatsoever. My cams were dialed in at the factory position and made the best power there. Any more advanced and we lost power everywhere else but gained like 2rwkw in the top end.

There are some pics of the unit fitted below (can get better ones if you like). Very nice little invention/concept just a shame the power increase wasn't experienced. Let me know if I can help in any other way or test stuff etc. Dyno chart to come tomorrow when I scan it up, shows unit fitted and no change, then 3 deg advance then 5 deg advance

Pictures: http://members.dodo.com.au/paul/pics/camadjust/page_01.htm

We usually find 1 or 2 degrees advance on the inlet camshaft is the best on the non VVT engines. Maybe 3 degrees was past the optimum.

:) cheers :D

Pauls inlet was already set around 2/3 degrees advanced, which is why we didn't see the gains that Bass did.

Summary:

Moving the adjustment of the inlet cam gear from the back to the front is an excellent idea. If your cam timing is not right, you can expect some noticable gains. I would highly recommend this modification to be done when the timing belt is being changed, or the cams are being upgraded. It is a very simple procedure that provides extra flexability when tuning, and may help find some 'lost power' that some 33's are missing.

Sam.