SAU Community

Timing Belt-time To Change

hye all,

just wondering who here has changed a tining belt on r32 gtr?is it a job best left 4 the people who no or is it a no brainer so to speak?just dont want nothing to go wrong etc?any advice wwould be great thanks

regards kane

Have you got the workshop manuals? These come in very handy with this type of thing.. The problem with leaving it to the mechanics is that they can take a while to do so can be pretty costly. I spose the worse case scenario would be to have the cam timing wrong so that the valves come down when the pistons come up.. this is called crowning I think. But the workshop manual shows you where all the markings and stuff are so if you follow that you *should* be ok..

Have you got the workshop manuals? These come in very handy with this type of thing..  The problem with leaving it to the mechanics is that they can take a while to do so can be pretty costly.  I spose the worse case scenario would be to have the cam timing wrong so that the valves come down when the pistons come up.. this is called crowning I think.  But the workshop manual shows you where all the markings and stuff are so if you follow that you *should* be ok..

thanks mate,yeh i downloaded it of the net just then so it should all good i think ill have a go anyway?cheers by the way i got a gates belt anyone had any experinces with these belts

While changing the belt make sure u replace the studs, it's cheap insurance for less than $10. :rolleyes:

studs?ive never taken it off b4 so could u sheed some more light mate?can u buy then from any where or are they a special order and so forth

Idler/tensioner bearings should also be changed.

Along with engine seals.

Also a good time to get the radiator flushed/repaired/upgraded.

ok so i should change the cam wheel bearings and studs why im there?i think the cam wheels be fine tho as my car is only standard etc...also ive heard they are noisy,but what sort of noise is it?????good or bad?cheers

My mechanic recommended changing the water pump while in there because they have a habit of wearing away of the pump fins.

thanks for all the help fellas just wondering if i can get a few part numbers?

1.engine bearings

2.and where would i get the cam studs from are they of the shelf item,as in from any bolt shop?

3.idler tensioner bearing

4.also does everyone think i should change the water pump aswell?

cheers kane

Check the Stagea section:  SK posted a guide for RB25s and I doubt the RB20s would be much different.

Also, "Forced Induction" is the wrong forum to post in.  Try Maintenance.

yeh sorry to get up ur nose mate my bad wont happen again k but thanks anyways