SAU Community

Replacing The Stereo Wiring In A S1 R33

HappyPuppy

Ok, I'm sick of the crappy speakers in the front door and the lack of any other speakers! So I'm planning to put in 6" in the stock holes and maybe a removable sub box in the boot. Now while I'm at it I figured I'd replace the standard stereo cabling with something that has more shielding (probably coax).

Has anyone done this before, and if so how big a job is it?

- are the wires run internally? do I have to pull up the interior floor to get at them?

- are the wires fixed in any way? - am I able to just tie the new wire to the old wire and just pull it through? [don't laugh this works really well on yachts :-) ]

Not too long. If you're good, you can do it in a day easily. That being said, I got my installer to do it

(FHRX, who is also on the forums - blatant plug: if you need some work done in Sydney, go speak to Marty!)

The stock door wiring doesn't run straight through, it uses body plugs. ie you can't pull it through without some fiddling around. Easier to just run new wiring through another grommet which is about half way down your door, and pull through that.

To access the wiring going to the back of the car, you just need to rip out the back seats and the remove the door sills to expose if (you can follow it back).

It really depends on what you want: how fancy the system is, any special features you want, sound deadening (usually recommended), etc - the more complicated, the more you'll pay. But he's not expensive by any means.

Obviously the best way to get a quote is to drop in and see him, but you can also send him an email or give him a call.

Vijay