SAU Community

Lose pts for defects after July

400HP

Originally posted by JiMb0

This is just too f**king ridiculous ... I want to go get my mods engineered but now I'm too scared to even take the car on the road to the engineers workshop incase I get defected on the way there !

LOL

and the paranoia sets in. i'm engineering mine soon. let's do it together.

...umm, actually, do your mods first and then engineer yours.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the rta has a list of certified engineers. you should only get it done at those engineers as the epa might not honour a non cetified engineers certificate. can't find the url at the moment. will look for it tonight. i know it's in one of the threads in here already. just search on 'engineers' and you should be able to find it.

Morgs: when re'regoing your car the inspection station only checks things like tyres, lights, horn not bovs or big turbos etc.

400HP: My engineer can do bovs

The car came with one standard..... yes technically the factory one isnt a venting model but itll do

Jimbo: the way i see it is that you will have no chances of clearing up a defect even if the cop WAS wrong! They issue you with a defect notice, then you have to go clear it up at the rta.

a) the cop gives you an on the spot $70 fine per defect (i believe at this point you lose your 2 points too?)

B) you go to the rta and pay a further $30 to have the car inspected

Now if the cop gave you a incorrect defect, how do you prove it was incorrect and you didn't just fix the problem before goin to the RTA? The whole thing reeks of shit! I would only accept a defect and a loss of 2 points if the rta and epa were present at a defect station.....NOT just some pig taking a power trip!:cuss:

ok for all you people out there worryed about loosing points

you CAN loose points sterio exhust

not for lowered stuff like that if you do turn over the infrigment notice on the back it will say do you want to have this heard about in court you tick yes and send it away that is all you can do as of jul 1st

but you wont loose points for big turbos bov stuff like that unless the cop stuffs up

that is why there is a thing on the back of the notice

dont ask but that is what happens i know

Originally posted by gtssky

you CAN loose points sterio exhust not for lowered stuff like that

This is the issue though. What if you exhaust is right on the limit, or just under. You get defected because this cop has spectacular hearing and knows presicely what dB are being produced. You lose 2 points and $70 ... you don't touch it or alter it in any way, go to the RTA get it cleared ... thats now 2 points and $100 for an exhaust that was never over the limits in the first place ....

How is this in any way a fair system ?

if the cop says it is to loud u have 7 days in witch to get it tested if it comes back it is under u wright a letter with a copy of the report and send it to parramatta and you will get off it BUT it has to be done in the first 7 days

and who foots the bill for the test if it comes back under the guidelines ? I don't see why citizens who abide by the rules should have to pay to prove that a member of the police force can't judge an exhausts dB with their ears ..

I'm all for the police doing their job, but I know far too many people who joined the force just to get their own back ! I'm more than happy to get a defect if I am over the dB limit, or my car is too low, or I'm running an atmo venting bov .... but I'd like the law to operate in the same way it does in other cases where one is guilty until PROVEN innocent ... This whole dealio where police only need to think something is defectable is rubbish ...

Assumption is the mother of all f**k ups, is it not ?

• 2 weeks later...

There are no ADR's that say things such as "big turbos are not permitted" and "no BOV's permitted"... the ADR's say stuff like "you are not permitted to alter the emissions of the car by alteration of exhaust and intake systems" or something similar.

In this way I think if you change to any non-standard items in the intake or exhaust part you are effectively changing the emissions. Turbos, BOV's, exhaust etc are all parts of the intake and exhaust and will change the emissions.... this is where it is grey...

Guest Cinder

So anyone with a cat back or downpipe is a defect? another thing is having no cats at all a defect in this country ? i supose you could gut the cats but i would rather just take out all the cats.