SAU Community

Upgrade My Rb25det

jmac

Anyone who can make even a quick suggestion is welcome:

Got an R34 GTT, and it sounds like it has an exhaust leak somewhere down near the turbo. So, while I'm getting it fixed my logic is why not spend some $$$ on hardware and wake my Neo up a little bit?

Current stuff:

Pod filter (K&N?)

Blitz Nur-spec 3" exhaust

Nismo dump pipe

Turbo, computer, intercooler etc. all stock

My budget is $5000 max and the goal is a reliable, responsive, fairly lag-free engine - it's a daily driver and pulling 500km a week minimum. 200+ rwkW would be nice, and I don't want problems if the cops pull me over.

Yes I've searched, I've read, I've spoken to various mechanics.

Here's what I was thinking:

Replacement turbo - no idea what type/model

Front-mount intercooler - some ppl say keep the stock one for better response?

Computer - PowerFC? Unichip?

Boost controller

BOV????

Z32 airflow sensor

Injectors/fuel pump

That's probably about as far as I'll go. Knowing what you guys know, what would you do? Any comments much appreciated. :(

Edited by jmac

Anyone who can make even a quick suggestion is welcome:

Got an R34 GTT, and it sounds like it has an exhaust leak somewhere down near the turbo.  So, while I'm getting it fixed my logic is why not spend some $$$ on hardware and wake my Neo up a little bit?

Current stuff:

Pod filter (K&N?)

Blitz Nur-spec 3" exhaust

Nismo dump pipe

Turbo, computer, intercooler etc. all stock

My budget is $5000 max and the goal is a reliable, responsive, fairly lag-free engine - it's a daily driver and pulling 500km a week minimum.  200+ rwkW would be nice, and I don't want problems if the cops pull me over.

Yes I've searched, I've read, I've spoken to various mechanics.

Here's what I was thinking:

Replacement turbo - no idea what type/model

Front-mount intercooler - some ppl say keep the stock one for better response?

Computer - PowerFC? Unichip?

Boost controller

BOV????

Z32 airflow sensor

Injectors/fuel pump

That's probably about as far as I'll go.  Knowing what you guys know, what would you do?  Any comments much appreciated.  :(

hey jmac ,

well with that sort of budget id b def going for a front mount and dont believe the rumors about increased lag--(a few friends and myself installed one on our own, it was a friends r34 gtt and let me tell u it frecken goes>>>>>>>> no lag).

then i would def get a power fc and get a good tune also with the exhaust u have the dump pipe replaced but did u replace the little turbo dump thats goes from the turbo to the front dump...? replace this also with a hks item ... and this should keep you happy ...

these are just simple mods and u should have more than enough money for it !

POWER FC == $1000-1100 max

front mount depends on ya flavour...

u can still get apexi == 1580 full kit

or u can do it yourself = buy a bar and plate cooler for $150-200

then buy piping your self =200-300

arc kit == $1800

tune 500-800 depends where u go...

pipe from turbo to front dump = hks---300-400

these prices are to give u some idea they are all aprox.

with injectors i wouldnt worry unless u change turbo and also BOV u dont need to change either unless u change turbo , z32 there's no need and fuel pump no need!

u will only need to change fuelling aspect side of things if u get a turbo and if u have money left over id b inclined to get a gcg 450 turbo and cams and z32

also the standard turbo can only b boosted to 11psi max as when u hit 12psi the exhaust wheel will come out the back!..

cheers good luck!

opps one more thing get a boost controller a decent one like a blitz so u know what your boostin and dont go over 11psi.

I'm guessing you also have a front pipe in there? To have an after market dump and cat back with stock front pipe would be weird.

It's not an increase in lag you get from a bigger intercooler it's an increase in response and yes it is real. Most R34's don't gain any power from a fmic alone.

That said, if you are upping the boost at the same time then the increased power will make up for the decreased response.

I'd say get a PowerFC and a decent electronic boost controller. If you do any sort of motorsport then get a front mount too otherwise save your money for when your coils die, which they will, and some new iridium spark plugs.

Don't forget to drop the plug gap down to 0.8 when inceasing the boost.

I would do mods in this order

1. Dump pipe

2. FMIC with piping the SK 150 degree bend @ inlet or over the fan (need to trim fan)

3. ECU - PowerFC/ emanage ultimate, depending if you are auto or not

4. cams

I didn't say anything about EBC as I think there is no need to boost the stock turbo up unless you want to shorten it's lifespan.

EDIT: you will find it much easier to pick your components if you pick a power figure first and go from there :D

Edited by ed

I'm making a comforatble 200rwkW with my R34.

Get a CES Racing Split Front Dump Pipe. $600

Batmbl Big Cat $250

Full exhaust $1000

Intercooler kit $ 1000

PowerFC with boost control kit $1600

Total parts cost $4450

Fitting, well, probably about $1500 including a tune.

Run 12psi (0.8 bar) and you'll be fine

If you are in Melbourne, come and have a look at mine.

BASS OUT

Just re-read your first post.

You already have half the bits.

Okay.

PFC with boost kit. $1600

FMIC $1000

Fit and tune $1300

Total $3900

That's 200rwkW right there.

That's what I've got, and that's what I'm making.

Then get yourself a clutch with light weight flywheel, some sway bars and you've got your self a well rounded car.

Wow, thanks guys (ALL of you) for your responses.

R31Nismoid I hear what you're saying but I've read a lot of the older threads and there were so many different philosophies out there (do exhaust first, do computer first, keep stock turbo or upgrade it) that I figured it wasn't too far out of line to just ask "What would you guys do if you were me?".

The car is a manual, by the way. All the gear on it came with it when I bought it.

Bass, I have no idea re. the front pipe issue. I would assume there's something there, but then I've learnt to not assume too much...

Looks like my shopping list so far is:

1. repair stock turbo leak

2. front pipe if needed + high-flow cat

3. PowerFC

4. electronic boost controller but keep max <12 PSI

5. FMIC

6. iridium plugs

It's all making sense now - only need to upgrade fuelling side if I upgrade the turbo and start winding up the boost....

Must admit I'm a little concerned about the ceramic turbo innards crapping themselves even at 0.8 bar.

If anyone else has their $0.02 to add please feel free! I'll be sure and post results and will actually have to meet up with some of you Brisbane people sometime!

Edited by jmac

• 1 month later...

So - what next?

(drunken musings so be aware)

Update:

Got new turbo - prototype unit from MTQ, ball-bearing, full stainless steel Garrett internals, same front housing with new exhaust housing and custom teflon lines. Comes on boost a bit later (3500rpm) but smoother and harder.

Turns out I had a Nismo front pipe and 3" cat-back system but still the factory dump pipe. A full turbo-to-cat 3" dump is coming.

Got a Turbotech boost controller off the forums here, set it up to run a little less than 1 bar. Holds boost very nicely thank you very much and now goes waaaaaaay better than before.

SOOOOO everyone is clicking their tongues and saying "dude you'll need a fuel pump, maybe a head gasket and a Power FC". So here's my questions:

1. What fuel pump and is it necessary? 040, 044???

2. Head gasket? I know what this is but do I need a non-factory one?

I'm pretty much resigned to getting a PFC in the near future once my budget recovers from the turbo... Ouch. Which then lets me get it on the dyno and see what duty cycle the injectors are running at. I just don't want the sucker to lean out too much in the meantime, hence wondering if I need a pump now.

And then once I wind the boost up I might need a clutch.... hehhehehe "it's only money"....

Anyway this is a "what would you guys do next?" post. I'm gonna stop before needing to do internal engine work, maybe 230 rwkw?

Excuse the rambling, I'm currently "Wild the sphincter of the universe Enhanced ".

:angry: