SAU Community

Splits Front & Rear?

AMS

Hey Guys,

I have 2 sets of splits from a Volvo XC70. Great splits too! I would recommend them to anyone. So, onto my question, should I put the second set in the rear? Has anyone done it? Recommend it? :P

The way i understand it is that you really want as much sound as possible coming from infront of you. Usually you setup your system so that the low frequencies come from behind you as it is harder for the human ear to pick up the direction of lower frequencies. Splits in front and woofers in the rear with a low pass filter would be a better option.

The way i understand it is that you really want as much sound as possible coming from infront of you. Usually you setup your system so that the low frequencies come from behind you as it is harder for the human ear to pick up the direction of lower frequencies. Splits in front and woofers in the rear with a low pass filter would be a better option.

Yep. But splits in the back for rear fill/passengers will work fine.

Either mount the tweeters on the rear parcel tray reflecting off the rear window, or if you can fit, hide them under the factory grills with the mid.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently did an install in a mates lancer. He had 2 pairs of the yellow cone Pioneer splits. Very nice sounding btw. I was so impressed I'm going to buy two pairs for my skyline once my wallet recovers a bit more. Anyways, back on topic... All we did was screw the tweater housings down to the wooden section of the rear parcel shelf with some self tappers. Bit hard to get started, but works great, and you can swivel them around to fine tune things. The 6" mid-woofers were mounted in the factory positions under the factory grilles. Sure to confuse any would-be thief.

As morlock says, be careful that you dont make things too bright in the rear. Your sound staging will sound a bit off. In the end though, tune it up to sound the way you like it. You'll be the one doing the most listening to it :D

Cheers,

-Shaun

Edited by shaund