SAU Community

what should i expect???

rb26dett

hey guys, i'm going to install some mods onto my gtr and was wondering what i should expect, like the difference in performance, for example, would it be in the mid-range or top end etc...

ok so far my car has:

hks super flow filters and 3" catback exhaust.

i now have with me:

power fc, avc-r, nismo fuel regulator, hks front pipe and hks cam gears.

is my car going to be noticeably faster or just maginally??

i really would hate to have a tortoise after all these mods and i wouldn't wanna be disappointed by expecting too much either, so if anyone has any experience with this please help me out.

thanks.

Originally posted by rb26dett

... i really would hate to have a tortoise after all these mods ....

hahah mate you definitely won't have a tortoise! :lol:

you have all that gear right .... well put it this way ... a guy here in Perth with a 32GTR was running 13s flat with turbo back exhaust and filters. He then pulled out the restricter, hence upping the boost.

He then ran a 12.4 :D

So your car will rock :D

I agree with JiMiH, the difference will be very noticeable, the dump pipe will provide more torque, the boost controller and power-fc will make a huge difference to overall power, cam gears should give you a better curve depending on where you want the gains.

All-in-all it will be a huge improvement, and 11sec are possible on this setup, consider the clutch to be your weak point now.

See'ya:burnout:

my tuner doesn't believe in dynos. he says hp can be calculated by acceleration and/or 1/4 mile times. i have also been told that tuning the 4th gear doesn't help all the other gears. anyways i might pop it on the dyno just to check nothing's leaning out.

on the subject of clutches, i have been told that i will not need to upgrade to a twin plate, as i do not want a drag vehicle, but a track vehicle. anyways, what's ur opinion? a super single or a twin plate? and how much would i be looking at?

thanks again for ur help guys.

Doesn't believe in dynos????

I'm sure it would be a lot quicker to tune the car on the dyno, rather than on the road!

I'm not sure what twin plates are like for track work, though mine came over from Japan with a twin plate and a brake cylinder stopper, which made me think that maybe mine had been used for track. So maybe you can use them for that. They just bite really hard that's all, and I'm no expert but maybe would be able to withstand the power better than a single?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong! :D

Trust me when I say you will need a twin plate. For any sort or track work like you are planning the factory clutch, even heavy duty, will not last very long. Twin-plates are very easy to drive with, only takes a few days to get used to it.

A second-hand twin will cost about $1200-$1800, and expect about $1000-$1200 to do a complete rebuild.

If your tuner doesn't believe in dyno's then I'd be looking for a new tuner. Sure fine tuning needs to be done on the road, but a dyno is a much better controlled environment for getting the car setup. Plus it is very dangerous to be driving at high speed on the road, you would need to do many high speed passes before it would get tuned.

oh the reason he's pretty quick with the power fc is cos heaps of skylines go to him to tune the power fc and he logs down the information after they have a track day, so he knows what the best setting should be.

but then again, i should be taking the car to the dyno just to check if anythings leaning out.

what kind of twin plate should i look for? hks? nismo? cusco? i have no idea which ones are best.

Just about all of the twin-plates from Japan are very good, my favourites are HKS (smooth) and OS Giken (tough), but they all should provide you with a much more reliable clutch package.

I still think it is worth having it on the dyno, if it is all ok then it will only take half an hour and you will have peace of mind.

There are also some Aussie clutch manufacturers, I haven't had any experience with them but might be worth a call.