SAU Community

Rb26 Rattle Noise

BAILED

Hey

Ive got a R32 GTR. When i go above about 3000rpm the motor gives off a rattle and say i rev out 1st then hit 2nd the noise is there again. Sometimes you can hear it other times you cant. It sounds like its coming from inside the motor.

Would this be lifters maybe ? One day it was perfect the next the noise was there. Any ideas ? or most importantly how much to fix :D

Thanks

Its not a knock, its a rattle. Dont think its detonation we tested the fuel and they said the presure was perfect and the car is running rich. I did take it to a local mechanic and they said it was lifters and not to worry about it but they are not a RB26 expert so i wanna know exactly. Its only above about 3500rpm. Maybe wrong oil ?

my rattle from about 3000-upwards in every gear ended up as a spun bearing/gudgeon knock, not to say your necessarily is but symtoms sound the same, mine went from a rattle to what sounds like the piston rattling around at idle, so be careful! if u stick ur head under the bonnet you can sorta tell if it sounds like its at the top of the engine or at the bottom...

mine was due to the oil pump not working properly from sludgey oil when it was in japan, check it out but if its only doing it around those rpms then it may be similar and and may unfortunately = rebuild..

not trying to scare but a rattle at those rpms sounds similar so get it checked out ASAP!!!

Edited by oRiCLe

I just started it up in my garage. I reved it to about 6000rpm and there was no rattle noise in netural. Another thing is i can drive around the block and it not happen, it only happens past 3000rpm when the turbos arnt really boosting, so if i hold 2nd flat i dont hear it really, if i gradually bring the revs up while moving in 2nd then i can start to hear it (same with 1st gear etc..)

by 6000rpm it will be moving too fast to hear, if u rev it up slowly it gets to about 3000 and it will start to rattle, then as it gets faster it will dissapear as it gets too fast for it to make noise

does it do it if u accelerate up and sit on like 3000 rpm in 3rd gear just trailing throttle and then accellerate a bit??

what oil pressure do you get revving?

Edited by oRiCLe

Drop the oil and look for gold coloured metal. If that exists then it's a big end.

Sounds very much like it does in the very early stages of bearing failure/run with big end knocking on light load.

i think the main or end bearings just about to go on your car

My bet is on big ends , as geoff said the start so you can only hear it with no or very little load , when you gun it you cant hear it yet .

I think BAILED you will find that you cant hear it when the engine is cold .

I hope i'm wrong though .

Mine does the same thing, thinking its a gugdin pin...

When you say it didnt do it around the block.. is that when the oil is cold?

mine wont make the noise until the oil get to about 70 on the gauge and then it starts making that super happy fun rattle

wrxhoon - its only there when the engine has some load eg in netural its not there and also sometimes when i rev out 1st and change to second and bring the clutch out ready to hold 2nd it does it then goes away once i reved 2nd so more.

oRiCLe - pressure its usually on the 4 when i start it and drops between the 4 and the line under the 4. mainly sits between them.

CameronBNR32 - doesnt matter if the engine is hot or cold does it all the time

i took the car out for a drive tonight and dident really hear it the whole time, its only when for some reason i rev out the gear slowly with it not boosting much.

im getting the oil changed next week so a fully synthetic so i will see if that effects it at all.

thanks everyone for your input :P

Hey

what's sort of boost controller you got

I'm using the Apexi EBC - and it rattles (like a b%t&h) until you get to full boost (even when mounted on rubber). I think it the actual solenoid ?

I was worried too (knock !!) - until we figured out what it was :P

if it only happens when the engine is under load then it is not the lifters.

sorry dude but it sounds like you are about to spin a bearing. I hope it all works out for you. and i hope we are all wrong

oRiCLe - pressure its usually on the 4 when i start it and drops between the 4 and the line under the 4. mainly sits between them.

Thats a little low for a GTR, sure the sender could be dodgy. Hrmm

Those of you who have spun bearings prior, did you notice a drop in oil pressure?

Edited by Cubes

Wouldent be this would it ? my cars coming up to 95,000 today.

"I believe that this is your timing belt idler or tensioner pulley bearings starting to show their age. My car had this exact noise in the same rev range and when I replaced the timing belt and pulleys, the noise was gone. If your car is coming up to 100 000 km then I would get them replaced pronto. "