SAU Community

Unstable Idle

Advan_01

Gday Guys

Recently my car starts to idle a bit crazy. It just come as it feels like but engine will not die off. Usually when this happens, i will give it a bit of rev and it stops. I believe it not my bov that is causing it. When it goes crazy, revs will go up and down between 400rpm to 1000rpm for maybe few sec. Wondering if anyone knows why is it doing this?

Edited by Advan_01

My ECR33 did the same thing fresh off the boat. On advice I got a can of Subaru inlet manifold cleaner (really just a top grade carby cleaner type solvent) and emptied the can through the inlet as per the directions.

Fixed the hunting idle. I suspect the gum that is introduced into the manifold via the PCV is the problem. Slip off your crossover pipe and wipe a finger inside the plenum while holding the throttle butterfly open.

FWIW, I know BMW and Subaru specify the use of that "service in a can" as part of their schedule. At $20 max it's worth a go.

cheers

Gday Guys

Recently my car starts to idle a bit crazy. It just come as it feels like but engine will not die off. Usually when this happens, i will give it a bit of rev and it stops. I believe it not my bov that is causing it. When it goes crazy, revs will go up and down between 400rpm to 1000rpm for maybe few sec. Wondering if anyone knows why is it doing this?

Don't ever say "its not the BOV" cause most of the time it is. Trial and error I say. Put the stocker back on (if it isn't already on) and try it.

Next thing that a lot of people over look is the powersteering switch. THis little switch adjusts the revs on idle when you turn the steeringso the car doen't stall. Mine, will idle hunt sometimes and all I need to do is give the steering wheel a bit of a move and it stops.

As sometimes it gets stuck.

Make sure you let us know how you go.