SAU Community

It Had To Happen...

Marsss

i cant believe u guys wait till your odo says 100k, if you honestly believe the odo you being a bit optimistic i think!

any import i would buy, or help a friend to buy would have at least its timing belt changed ASAP after purchase no matter whether the odo says 30k or 230k.

also mar55s 135 is a lot for genuine belt, from nissan parts department it should be about $90.

90 is just for the belt, labour should not be more than about 250.

if u do water pump at the same time (they are often leaking and in need of replacement too) a genuine rb25 one is about $150 from memory, or u can get a aftermarket rb30 water pump for about $80, plus the cost of new coolant, say $30-40

edit: if u change all the other belts, i cant 100% remember for sure but i think around 70 for the rest (non genuine)

labour wise probably 1 hour extra for the other belts.

Edited by siksII

sorry, got my numbers mixed up... the belt was 85... the water pump, which is now a universal NISSAN one (fits the VL Commonwhore as well) was 135. Bando belts, coolant, engine flush, radiator flush and labour ----> 595 bucks.

The feeling of driving a brand new car.... friggin priceless.

Just to let everyone know, the standard nissan timing belts are just BANDO belts. Most spare parts places and workshops generally regard Bando as a lesser quality option than say Gates or Bosch. (what evedidence they have ti prove this i dont know.) After replacing many many timing belts on skyline i have to say you are pretty much guarenteed equal quality between Nissan (bando), Bosch and Gates. So if you use any of these i would never worry about the quality of the timing belt. Bosch, Gates and Bando themselves are also a decnet bit cheaper than Nissan.

What timing belt are you replacing it with?

Is there any difference between a Nissan one and an aftermarket one (eg I know GReddy makes them)?

This is sort of off topic or could be asked somewhere else but is there really such a thing as a performance timing belt? What qualitites does a timing belt need before it can be called a performance belt?

1. Higher heat resistance. (but how high a temp can a standard belt take?, your engine can only get so hot anyway, but i guess you do have friction heat from the timing gears).

2. Stronger teeth on the belt. (I can really only see this been an issue for a car that has harder valve springs or a car that runs incredibly high rpm, so it would be more of a track thing than something needed for a streetable skyline).