SAU Community

Fan/temp Controller -

Just wondering if anyone has done this before.

Im looking at getting a pivot super temp controller and Im wondering if this will be good enough to run the thermo fan and remove the mechanical fan.

Reason being is,

I had a hybrid front mount installed and the blades have been hacked away by a dodgy workshop.

Removing the blades and plastic cover would tidy it up lot more.

I'll also gain a digital water and oil temp gauge, all in one.

Also wondering if this would give me a slight power gain?

Will my water temps get too high? Will I need a larger thermo fan or radiator?

Any advise welcome.

:)

My experience is that you have to ensure that the air flows through the radiator. You will probably need bonnet vents, and you definitely need to construct some sort of undertray to blank off the space between the front bar and the bottom radiator mount.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the hassle for the extra couple of kW you will gain. I would be taking it back to the "dodgy workshop" and tell them to fix the fan.

My experience is that you have to ensure that the air flows through the radiator. You will probably need bonnet vents, and you definitely need to construct some sort of undertray to blank off the space between the front bar and the bottom radiator mount.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the hassle for the extra couple of kW you will gain. I would be taking it back to the "dodgy workshop" and tell them to fix the fan.

Have you done this before then?

Will the stock thermo fan do the job if set with the temp controller?

Im after a decent carbon vented bonnet but dont like the ones I found so far :)

I guess it doesnt help having the front mount in front of the radiator either.

Hey gR33ddy, how goes it.

We went a 16 inch Davies Craig and ditched the engine fan when the FMIC was installed.

Had a thermo switch installed into the radiator and an over-ride switch on the dash if you need to have it on continuously (haven't needed it yet but would be good to maybe run it before going down the dragstrip or something).

I reckon a big thermo is the go, but keep the shroud.

El Bee

Hey gR33ddy, how goes it.

We went a 16 inch Davies Craig and ditched the engine fan when the FMIC was installed.

Had a thermo switch installed into the radiator and an over-ride switch on the dash if you need to have it on continuously (haven't needed it yet but would be good to maybe run it before going down the dragstrip or something).

I reckon a big thermo is the go, but keep the shroud.

El Bee

Thanks for that. Good to get some feedback.

Im thinking of upgrading the radiator aswell.

I'll have a bit more room there for a twin core so I might go this way also

Can I ask why you recommend keeping the shroud?

i believe if u remove the shroud your thermo fan will be less inclined to suck air through the radiator and will merely sick it in from the sides or around the back of the core. shrouds make quite a bit of difference i believe...

I've said it in many thread prior but here we go again. ;)

I've had 2 x 12" davis thermo's mounted directly to the radiator with no shroud. They were fine apart from peak hour traffic in 35+degree heat with the a/c on. The car would boil.

I ended up removing them and fitting back up the stock setup, which is ok but still tends to get a little warm in peak hour traffic, 35+degree days and witht he a/c on when you sit in the same spot for a good 5minutes. :D

If I rev the car to 2000rpm the car keeps cool and sits under 90degree's, at idle the stock clutch fan doesn't pull enough air.

Hitting the ambient temp button the highest outside temp I have seen in peak hour traffic is 65degree's. So it is very very hot.

I will be fitting up a set of EL twin thermo's, run 2 temp sensors, low for ~85degree's and high for ~88degree's.

Wire it up in series/parallel and there's my high low.

EL thermo fans are the only fans that will fit in to a r32 and possibly r33 as the a/c stuff is damn close to the radiator. Not to mention the dimensions are perfect. :P

Edited by Cubes

Hey Cubes,

We've discussed this in a previous thread - I'm interested to know if you have test fitted the EL thermos to your R32 at all since then?

R32 FMIC in Type M bar

I also really want to do this conversion, the major thing stopping me is that I doubt they will fit inbetween the radiator and power steering pulley/lines...

Check these EL thermos on ebay:

EL Thermo fans

They state the depth is 110mm, I figure the centre of the fan would be the deepest part of the unit, so have a look where the secondary fan would sit....right next to the power steering pump - I just measured up my 32 and the clearance space is 85mm maximum around the pump! So unless they've got the dimensions wrong, it looks like these will be quite difficult to fit. :)

I'll be very happy to proved wrong though (I really want to fit these fans!)

:P

I've had 2 x 12" davis thermo's mounted directly to the radiator with no shroud. They were fine apart from peak hour traffic in 35+degree heat with the a/c on. The car would boil.

I ended up removing them and fitting back up the stock setup, which is ok but still tends to get a little warm in peak hour traffic, 35+degree days and witht he a/c on when you sit in the same spot for a good 5minutes. :(

If I rev the car to 2000rpm the car keeps cool and sits under 90degree's, at idle the stock clutch fan doesn't pull enough air.

Hitting the ambient temp button the highest outside temp I have seen in peak hour traffic is 65degree's. So it is very very hot.

I will be fitting up a set of EL twin thermo's, run 2 temp sensors, low for ~85degree's and high for ~88degree's.

EL thermo fans are the only fans that will fit in to a r32 and possibly r33 as the a/c stuff is damn close to the radiator. Not to mention the dimensions are perfect. :D

Edited by RaseR

I ended up removing them and fitting back up the stock setup, which is ok but still tends to get a little warm in peak hour traffic, 35+degree days and witht he a/c on when you sit in the same spot for a good 5minutes. :D

EL thermo fans are the only fans that will fit in to a r32 and possibly r33 as the a/c stuff is damn close to the radiator. Not to mention the dimensions are perfect. :P

Your post seems to have a touch of the "once more for the dummies" about it but, I do think that you are confirming what my mechanic and bilbo117 have said.

The advice that I was given was to keep the shroud, and fit the 16 inch Davies Craig.

I haven't tested this setup mid-summer as yet, but 86 degrees is the highest seen so far on the PFC Hand Controller.

I would also recommend to anyone else to ensure that your cooling system is clean and using good coolant etc. and make sure that your radiator cap holds sufficient pressure.

El Bee

I have a 16" cheapo thermo on mine, but still haven't sorted out temp control properly, I couldn't see how to the keep the standard shroud but i was in a hurry to get it back on the road.

Also i measured up the EL thermos and was unconvinced they'd fit down by the A/C comp, but as mentioned i was in a hurry and didn't want to be mucking around with it to find out for sure.

My temps have been fine but it hasn't seen any genuinely hot weather yet.