SAU Community

Engine FLUIDS

skyline_paul

Can u guys help me out on this one because ive got no idea. Ive got a sky and need some help on the fluids that are recommended for it.

I know that engine oil should be changed every 5000kms with good full synthetic oil as well as have the oil filter changed.

What about

- transmission oil

- radiator coolant

- power steering fluid

- brake fluid

Can u use any type of fluid or do u have to use special ones that are specifically designed for high performance cars???

Some recommendations on the fluids u guys are using for your Lines would be appreciated

thanks

hi,

here are what i use.

mutul 5w40 full synthetic for engine oil $56/5lt

(i recommend this oil as i have tried like 5 other brands)

anti freeze/boil is recommended for aluminium radiator

i have auto :D so mutul dexron synthetic transmission fluid

motul standard p/steering fluid.

ron

I use Silkolene DOT4 for my brakes. Its damn good compared to the crappy Mobil and Castrol that regular auto shops stock.

Good sources for quality fluids, both transmission and brake, is motorbike shops. They stock really good brands like Motul, Belray and Silkolene. One type of racing brake fluid Silkolene make retails for about $38 for 500ml's! I use the cheaper $16 dollar one which is good enough for most people id say.

Generally i change brake fluid once a year, but I dont do alot of motorsport, so it tends to get changed when I can feel the pedal is horrible. :D

I use Mobil 1 10W/30 in my Skyline for engine oil.

Red17

So engine oil doesnt really matter which ones u use just as long as they are full synthetic rite?

thanks for the brake fluid tips i think ill hope down to my local bike shop and pick up a bottle of that stuff.

With transmission oil and brake fluid do u have to flush it or can u just top it up???

Sorry to be a hassle but one more thing guys...do you have to flush the radiator coolant or can u just top it up with Nissan's radiator coolant when it gets low

Thanks again

You can just top it up I'd say...but every now and then (maybe once a year) do a full flush, because often stuff can just sit at the bottom of the radiator. Once i thought my radiator was clean (and the water was), and heaps and heaps of crap came out of it.

Skyline_Paul: I just changed the oil in my gearbox and they feel as smooth as silk. I used Caltex Gearlube 70w-90 coz thats what they recommend for the car and its well worth it (used about 3.5 litres)... no more nasty clunking. For the engine I used 5w-40 Full synth (nearly used 5 litres). For the gearbox all you need is a 1/2 inch rachet (the square bit opens the bung) and the motor you need a 14mm ring spanner or rachet depending on what you perfer.

Filter for motor No. 145a

Petrol Filter Z200

Cheers

Sumo

Hey Sumo thanks for the help i havent yet changed anything on my car yet...since i just got it the other week

just wondering how long should u leave it until u have another gearbox oil change? (kms??)

and also are u from the west cause i need some help...i am crap when it comes to car engine maintenance

cheers

=)

Im in Country NSW. Near Tamworth.

If you had all the filters and oils would only take half a day to do max.

Changing the oil in my Diff today, EP 85w-90 was recommended for the R32 GTR, but it reads its not recommended for LSD's? Im not sure whether the R33 is a LSD or not?.

Sumo

• 2 weeks later...

Oil Filter = Z145a

Fuel Filter = Z201

Air Filter = A360

If you have and Auto you are best to change the Trans Fluid and filter every 50,000k's. If you have and LSD, which all Turbo Skylines have you should change its fluid with the trans flud. An lsd is almost useless if the Fluid is maintained. Manual Trans Fluid should really be changed at 50,000 to 60,000k's also just to b safe, especially if you drive it hard. Coolant Should be changed every 2 to 3 years and Brake Fluid every 2 years. Power steering fluid really should last you 100,000k's.

Im fairly sure the pads on all skylines are:

Front = DB1170

Rear = DB1220

Discs; (Not 100% sure if these are right for r32 GTST)

Front = DBA4963

Rear = DBA908

I use NGK BCPR6EVX Plugs in my R33, but if you drive hard you should use a 7 heat range. BCPR7EVX