SAU Community

Help Turbo Heat

hey all got a new turbo for my car a t04e from Sliding Performance.... got the 3 and half inch dump pipe put on at same time... This new turbo is putting out some serious heat when i drive it hard for 6 mins u cant even touch the outside front guard and when u lift the bonnet there is so much heat under there i dont know what to do?... I have left the heat shield off so that it doesnt trap all that heat under there.. I am buying a new bonnet with some vents in it hoping that would help i dont know what to do i dont want it melting my power steering container which is getting so hot

Any help would be appreciated thanks

i really dont wnat to get rid of this turbo it hammers on 13 pound of boost.. just ask my mate in this TT300 lol..... if he can keep up

Edited by SkylineSII

hey all got a new turbo for my car a t04e.... got the 3 and half inch dump pipe put on at same time... This new turbo is putting out some serious heat when i drive it hard for 6 mins u cant even touch the outside front guard and when u lift the bonnet there is so much heat under there i dont know what to do?... I have left the heat shield off so that it doesnt trap all that heat under there..  I am buying a new bonnet with some vents in it hoping that would help i dont know what to do i dont want it melting my power steering container which is getting so hot

Any help would be appreciated thanks

i really dont wnat to get rid of this turbo it hammers on 13 pound of boost.. just ask my mate in this TT300 lol..... if he can keep up

cant help ya....but maybe you should get a BIGGER BIGGER FRONT MOUNT

Its a good indicator of why the factory places heat shielding over the OE install. You should really look at getting something in place to avoid frying everything. Wiring, rubber hoses etc will all suffer.

FWIW, the air gap between turbo/manifold/dump etc is what actually insulates and keeps the head from radiating past the shield itself.

how is a bigger front mount going to stop heat from the exhaust housing?

you should look into putting the heatshield back on, or get a custom made one and also get a turbo blanket and look at some thermal wrapping for the dump pipes

With the new turbo the car spools and runs harder and faster and i can drop it in 3rd and fishy at 130.

I know with the new turbo it will obviously get hotter because of the obvious size difference and how much it flows.

It has a 600x300x76 fmic on it which i also brought from Sliding Performance which Matt Spry at P.I.T.S said is enough for the application.

But how/what sheild/protect can be made or sourced to help the turbo dissipate its heat.

I have been told buy the guy i had fit the turbo that i should leave the heat sheild off as there is minimal heat difference with it on as the standard one is crap and you can only hold it on by 1 screw as the exhaust housing is too big for it.

You can buy the same heat shield in the xr6T and then cut and place it in the right places, If you are having those sort of heat issues, then you might already melted of your abs wiring and stuffed up your front right shock, Also get a heat blanket and contoured it to your front shock tower, so the rest of the wiring wont be melt also.

Also another way to get heat out of the engine bay is to rip of that rubber trim just below the windscreen and maybe lift your bonnet up a little/ drift style.

Thanks Hungry

I dont have abs its a SII without lol

But nothing is melting or anything ill get one of the heat absorbsion blankets.

I have already ordered a 400r Style bonnet off Aaron to go with the rest of my body kit it has a vent over the radiator so hopefully it will sort out some heat.

But really i sort of wanted to know is there any sheild that would protect things like my power steering resivior.

But thanks ill get the heat blanket and see how i go.

what type of car is it? when do u hit boost? was this a bolt on? im guessing not? sorry bit off the topic but i wouldnt mind knowing your set up? pm me if u like? thanks!

As above got the To4e rebuilt from Sliding Performance

Journal bearing

Spool sounds like a jet engine

R33 Series 2

Hits full boost at 3300-3400rpm now 14psi

FMIC kit from Aaron

Exhaust 3.5" turbo back

Direct replacement of old turbo as it was my old turbo just bored out intake and bigger exhaust housing.

stock dump pipe bolts straight up and had the oil lines and the bolts that go into the oil and water input and output of the turbo made a little larger to improve flow of oil and water.

With Japanese fitted Mines ECU

Having it dynoed with the new/new turbo in a few weeks