SAU Community

A Few Questions About 33's

hey guys

after being into customs for about the last 4 years i think im going to invest in a 33 to see what all the fuss is about with turbo cars :(

just wondering when im going to buy one, what sort of things should i look out for? i have no idea about engines and turbos and stuff i have always been into chassis modifying etc...

how many kms are they good for?

whats the highest boost u can put thru them before they start to play up?

whats involved with givin a series one a series 2 nose job, just the headlights and front bar or ?

and anything i should be looking out for?

thanks in advance guys....

Sam B)

Hey mate,

Before someone bites your head off, ill say it to you nicely.

Most of the above items have already been discussed, try a search and you should get all your answers to the questions above.

Try the Tutorials/ DIY/ FAQ section of the forum for the things you should look out for when buying a skyline.

Good luck.

Edited by Paradizzle

God I had a nigthmare trying to get my car through customs <_< Not directed at you aired out...

Ha, I got accused of under valuing my car, even though I had proof of payment etc, I still had to do a stat dec etc, also I coped a few days storage coz of em as well.

Also not directed at the thread starter.

hey guys

after being into customs for about the last 4 years i think im going to invest in a 33 to see what all the fuss is about with turbo cars :(

just wondering when im going to buy one, what sort of things should i look out for? i have no idea about engines and turbos and stuff i have always been into chassis modifying etc...

how many kms are they good for?

whats the highest boost u can put thru them before they start to play up?

whats involved with givin a series one a series 2 nose job, just the headlights and front bar or ?

and anything i should be looking out for?

thanks in advance guys....

Sam B)

Just look for the usual stuff when buying a car. There is a guide in the HOW-TO / Tutorial section on what specific things to look for when buying a Skyline. I suggest you go over those before you start looking at them. Also take a camera with you and take plently of photos (VIN plate as well) so when you get home you can double check stuff you have missed or forgotten.

The car will run for I would say 200,000+ easily provided it is serviced and looked after. Of course if you never change the oil and abuse it, it will certainly fail (like anything).

Running "highest boost" doesn't make power per se. Making more power is a combination of various things boost is just the most commonly referred to term. No more than 10psi on the standard turbocharger is safe and wont shorten its life. You can run 12psi if you wish but you will certainly shorten its lifespan. The heat associated with running 12psi will cause the turbocharger to fail. More boost doesn't always mean more power. it certainly means more heat however.

Don't bother with a series 1 to series 2 conversion, just source a series 2 in the first place. The series 2 is a minor bug fix with updated parts and some external changes (bonnet, grill, lights etc). You should be able to source a stock R33 series 2 in good condition standard for 19k on the road.

The easier and sometimes the most helpful way when looking at a Skyline in particular is try and locate any other SAU members in your local area to come and look at the car with you, two people looking at a car is great advantage, especially if they are a current Skyline owner

As said,

1) look at all the regular things - you may want to get a mechanic to inspect it for you.

2) Easy 200,000 kms before major failures if left standard but be careful since most imports will have their odometers wound back in Japan.

3) 10psi is the maximum you would be able to run with the standard cooler. Better to run standard boost until you upgrade to a better cooler. A GTT cooler will bolt straight on and let you run 10psi safely for real cheap. A front mount would probably let you run 12psi on the stock turbo. I wouldn't push it further than that.

4) dont bother, its more trouble than its worth, just buy the car you want from the start. same goes for auto/manual and turbo/na. Dont kid yourself into thinking that itll be cheaper to "do a conversion" cuz it isnt.