SAU Community

3" Stainless Too Loud

I have a 3" stainless exhaust on my 32 GTST, it is way too loud. Has a small straigt through hotdog and a 3" canon on the end.

I called an exhaust joint and was told that to quiet it down I need a 3" baffled muffler, He said If i was to do that, I may aswell go back to stock system.

Is this the case?

I don't expect a really quite car. I like the performance. I just want to reduce the noise a bit, so it is legal and I can hear my stereo.

Jeez, I don't know about "might as well go back to stock" but I guess it depends on if your system is a catback (hardly any performance difference) or a dump/front/hi-flow cat/catback system in which case putting a quieter muffler on is in no way like returning it to stock.

My mate just got a full exhaust fitted on his S15 with a twin tip oval muffler. It's quiet, but with 12psi boost and an Apexi Pod he pulled 173rwkw so even though quiet, the exhaust made a huge difference regardless of the muffler on the end of it.

Yeah thats what I was thinking.

I have a 3" dump. 2 & 1/2 cat, 3" hot dog and a 3" canon on the end.

Shurley if I put a 3" muffler on to replace the canon. It will be still much better than stock.

ive got a full exhaust from turbo back, cat back is 4inch, and ive got this huge muffler on it and youd barely know its not stock. even has a 5inch tip on it. the only time its loud is when i put hte loud pedal down and it starts growling up the revs... driving normally i can hear the intake noise more louder. as for power, the basic mods i have im apparently getting pretty good power..so, yeh.. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Of course if you were to only be worried about being legal then you could install a exhaust control valve. Apexi has one that is in-car controlled and it could be used to quieten the exhaust when you see the cops or when you come home late at night or whenever. And then you could turn your stereo up if for some strange reason you don't like that sweet sound of a skyline with a fat exhaust

I have a 3" stainless exhaust on my 32 GTST, it is way too loud. Has a  small straigt through hotdog and a 3" canon on the end.

I called an exhaust joint and was told that to quiet it down I need a 3" baffled muffler, He said If i was to do that, I may aswell go back to stock system.

Is this the case?

I don't expect a really quite car. I like the performance. I just want to reduce the noise a bit, so it is legal and I can hear my stereo.

I had the same issue with a hotdog resonator. It wasn't as much the case of being loud outside, but the constant drone in the cabin was unbearable. Just replace the hotdog with a smaller muffler and it'll solve the problems. It will still have heaps of power and the great RB note without the drone. And in my case it was still legal...87 dba.

Many people have commented on how good my car sounds, both inside and out.

Hope this helps.

i put an adjustable silencer in my old cannon, couldnt hear the exhaust with it closed and was reasonably loud with it open so you could adjust it to whatever mood you were in, only cost $60 from my local exhaust shop.

yeh the 1st couple dais i got myn done (3" turbo back - gutted hi-flow cat 6"barrell 4" cannon) im luck fk this is 2 damn loud.. 4 sure cop trouble 4 sure parents crack shits.. n yeh i was pisst cos couldnt hear music all 2 well....now ..I CANT LIVE WITHOUT IT!!! ... wats better than putting ur foot down the car fkn flying n sounding like a nascar.. i love it the bois love it n f**k does it turn heads.. presence felt throughout the area... realli man just matter of getting used 2 and learning how 2 control the note with ur pedal :)!!!

Is this the case?

It is the case....if the exhaust shop guy is clueless and doesn't know how to make a decent flowing exhaust.

The factory exhaust is piss-small. If you got a mandrel-bent 3" exhaust with 2 mufflers (instead of the resonators) it should be quiet enough, while still flowing noticably better than stock.

Get some higher quality mufflers that can flow as well as muffle, and you'd probably be hard pressed to pick the difference between your noisy setup and that one..

FIXED.

As it turned out the 3" to 4" canon in the end was striped gutted. I swaped it with a 3" to 5" canon tip that was not gutted. Massive difference. And it still has that awesome note.

Wal

I have the same problem with my R32 GTR.

HKS Dump/fronts

3" cat

3" D-Luck cat-back

Big Canon

5" Tip

It is so loud and drones so much that it's too loud to even sit idling in my driveway or in the main street where I live. On motorways in 5th gear doing 100km/h at 3,000rpm it's incredibly painful to the ears (especially if doing a 400km trip). I got pulled over by the police last nite and its the first thing he mentioned (but let me off coz he loved GTR's).

I just had a closer look at the rear canon now and it appears to be a straight through pipe with some sort of mesh as the walls of the pipe. Their is a flange just before the canon so I guess I have 2 options from here:

1) Fit an Apexi (or variant) exhaust control valve for $250 fitted, which would almost guarantee a quieter exhaust but i'd still have to manually play with the valve everytime I drive due to loss of power when the valve is closed up.

2) Try a few different rear canons to try and find a quieter one until I get 1 that quietens it down enough whilst still possibly being above the legal db limit.

I have plenty of power (330awkw) so I don't mind losing 10-15kw if it means a quiet legal exhaust but obviously I don't want it to rob me of power and heaps of money either.

While on this topic does anyone one know of a catback system which is below the legal limit (90dB)?

I've heard the Trust Power Extreme II is very quiet but is it so quiet that its legal?

Thanks guys.

While on this topic does anyone one know of a catback system which is below the legal limit (90dB)?

I've heard the Trust Power Extreme II is very quiet but is it so quiet that its legal?

Thanks guys.

I fitted a PEII to my r32 gtr last week... Its barely louder than the stock exhaust, but also sounds nice. I did 600km on the freeway over christmas in it, and it does not drone one bit.