SAU Community

window tinting - mirror or dark???

skyline_paul

seeing as 35% is the darkest you can go...

go for the 35%... if your car is dark.. (i assume black)

go for the dark tint..

silver tint just looks wanky, esp on dark cars... exception for silver cars...

Don't get 35%, get 20%. It may be illegal but I've heard of very few people getting done for it. Also if the car was built in 1996 or earlier then it's actually legal to have darker than 35%. The thing with Skylines though is that it probably goes off the compliance date rather than the manufacture date, but you can always argue with the cops that it came like that from Japan.

I've been RBT'd at night a couple of times and the cops have never evern mentioned that it might be too dark. And they did a full rego/licence check on me and everything! I'm just glad they didn't get me to pop the bonnet to find my illegal atmo bov :P

I prefer the dark tint even on a silver car. It's reflective enough I think, and provides a good contrast for the rest of the car. This is what my 20% tint looks like.

Resize%20of%20P1001837.jpg

Resize%20of%20P1001838.jpg

It doesn't generally look as dark as these photos indicate, especially when it's not overcast like it was when these pics were taken.

Thanks darK :P I don't know what grille it is, it came with the car. I think it was a Nissan factory option at some point but no one can give me a definite answer. I personally think it looks better than the GTR grille and the Nismo one that looks similar, but that's just me.

I've only seen this grille on 3 or 4 other Skylines, and they've all been black so I assume that's the way they come from the factory. Mine was black too, but after I had the car resprayed I got them to do the surround in silver. Looks much better this way I reckon. They originally did the mesh silver as well but that looked crap so I got them to re-do it in black again. I think all mesh should be subtle.

Hey Jim X even with the 20% tints and seeming that they are illegal....wouldnt it affect an insurance claim ????

I know that some companies will get u for the smallest defects to void the claim and with these tints it would mean that the car is not road worthy.....

I want the tints cause they look nice but dont want to jeopoadise any insurance claims....what do you think??

Originally posted by Black33

anyone else have tint a car summer breeze tint?  

what do you think of it if you do?

My previous white car had summer breeze tint [still does] and i was happy with it! Dark enough and still legal. IMO the formula one tint from tint-a-car looks GREEN, they keep telling me it isnt green but my eyes [20/20 vision with no colour issues] tell a different story. Hang on mine was also called Ash Cool, but i think it was just the colour [type: s/breeze, colour: a/cool?] It was the next dearest after F1.

Only problem for me and i assume others is that it wont match the already tinted rear quarters and back w/screen as this is really dark [i like it]? And from the factory AFAIK :confused: [a little]

I guess I can say it was like that from JP too!

Skyline_paul, a valid concern. However as far as my insurance company is concerned, I got the car like this from Japan, and it was all legally registered and has gotten pink slips every year for rego, so as far as I know it's legal :D

I have a good insurance company though, I've made one claim through them and it was approved on the spot when the inspector came out (I got rear-ended) with the repairer of my choice rather than one off a cheaparse list that some insurance companies use.

It would all depend on your insurance company I would say. Give them a ring and ask if they would deny your claim if it was discovered that you had 20% tints on, and if they wouldn't, get them to send you that in writing. If they ask why, then tell them that you think the tints you got with your new car might be too dark, and you're not sure if you should bother getting it checked/replaced.

Hmm, I might even do that myself for some extra piece of mind should I ever need to make an at-fault claim. But I do know that I'm definitely covered if I'm not at fault because I've already been through the process once and the question wasn't even asked about my window tints (they had 20% on them before I got it re-done after the repair/respray).