SAU Community

Undercar Neons: Legal Or Not Qld

R32 GT-R

The reason i ask this is because I got done for having neons fitted underneath my car, they were not on. But apparently it does not matter whether u turn them on or not it is illegal just to have them fitted. I've been told that it is a load of crap and some agree with the copppa. I was wondering if anoyone else actually knows for sure that they are illegal to be fitted?

I've heard (in WA at least) that it is legal to have them provided that you can't actually see the tube sticking out from under the car. Limos have them over here, and so do party buses. So if people/businesses like these can have them, why not cars? I've also heard of being able to obtain a permit for these, kind of like an engineers certificate or something?

"My cat's breath smells like cat food."

As a member of Victoria police it is my knowledge that you can have them under your car and turned on as long as they don't flash. You can't have differnt coloured lights in brakes, parkers or any other safety lighting. You can't have red lights facing forward. That's just my knowledge in Victoria but these things change about every 6 months. It annoying to drivers and police alike. I would not recommend them though as it just calls out to be pulled over and put off the road for something else though.

Yeah, just moving from victoria to nsw, the rules are different, in victoria most police say they are legal (and a few said they looked cool) but in nsw they arent. Saying that, i couldnt pass a roadworthy in victoria with them fitted, i had to take them off. So there is my 2 cents worth

in QLD, there is no law written on the use of neon lighting underneath a car...i phoned qld transport :)

however, if they are on, they can be distracting (they all will be according to law enforcers), they cannot be blue, red or even white (i think) as they are reserved for emergency vehicles

as for having them fitted and not actually on, you should be fine, get a notice from qld transport or look in the TORUM VSS (vehicle safety standards) :spank:

at work oneday we found a queensland transport documnet or something cant really remember...waht i do remember tho is that you can have green neons under your car (while your driving - i think) as long as they dont flash. red/blue/white etc are reserved for emergency vehicles...nothing uses green

I've heard (in WA at least) that it is legal to have them provided that you can't  actually see the tube sticking out from under the car. Limos have them over here, and so do party buses. So if people/businesses like these can have them, why not cars? I've also heard of being able to obtain a permit for these, kind of like an engineers certificate or something?

"My cat's breath smells like cat food."

Yes. They are legal in WA aslong as you can not see the tube itself.

red/blue/white etc are reserved for emergency vehicles...nothing uses green

Yep, Red and blue cannot be used, as for some reason can be mistaken for police lights. How so i have no diea. White is not alowed for some odd reason. Havent really looked into it.

I think you cant use orange aswel. Because they use orange for road sweapers, and RAC 4x4's and such.

Edited by Twitch

Yes. They are legal in WA aslong as you can not see the tube itself.

Yep, Red and blue cannot be used, as for some reason can be mistaken for police lights. How so i have no diea. White is not alowed for some odd reason. Havent really looked into it.

I think you cant use orange aswel. Because they use orange for road sweapers, and RAC 4x4's and such.

White (I assume) would not be allowed because it could be mistaken for reverse lights... <_<

Damn ADRs...

i read it somewhere in some document. i will try and find it.

but it was under extra lighting.

it mentioned under car lights.

said cant have white, red, blue or yellow.

and gave an example that u could have pink no problems

aghh found it.

some standards from queensland transport

this is section 3

go to page 85 and it is under additional lighting

AIS_codeofpractice_Section3_20_Feb2004.pdf

Edited by r31baboon

good work nathan.... im going to print this out and go for a strap with mine set on purple, and get some cop action, just so i can shove this under their noses!lol

i didnt see anything on green tho?

PA261698.jpg

sounds good kezza.

we should try it together one night.

let me know how you go, i not sure how the cops would handle it here.

are u going on sunday for the river to river cruise.

UNSURE, YET.... but i will have to get this printed and one night, maybe thursday night when the cops are out in force.

lol

its going to be so funny..... whats the bet i get a fine for something else ????